Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1 Fit

Peacoat

Bartender
I am planning to get a vintage 50's or 60's G-1. I want a looser fit, not tight like the A-2. Normally I wear a 42, and was thinking of getting a 44 so that it wouldn't be tight. Also there is no insulation in the G-1, so I would need to wear a sweater or a vest under the jacket below about 45 degrees.

A friend of mine has a current issue G-1 in a 50. It is a good fit in the arms, shoulders and length, but it pretty much swallows me in the chest and waist.

So, what do you G-1 experts think; would a 44 give me enough room to add a sweater underneath and still not be tight?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Peacoat, the problem is that tagged size means very little when it comes to vintage G-1s. At best, it is but a beginning point. Specific tagged sizes vary greatly in actual size, even within the same contract. I would suggest having someone who knows what they're doing measure you---and then don't buy a vintage G-1 without knowing its exact measurements.

AF

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Agree with AF I have found however that 42 fits me fine and have had several contracts in the 50s and 60s that have fit about the same (except in length). I think the 44 might be a bit big on you. I am 5 10 and weigh 175 just for info purpose. I can wear a 42 with a heavy sweatshirt.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I know Ebay is a debated marketplace around here, but one good thing I have found about used jacket listings is that most sellers give the measurements in addition to the labeled size. I have found this very helpful in the past.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks for the information, guys. Yes, in all of my ebay purchases I get the exact measurements from the seller, I have found, as Greyhound noted, that in the vintage jackets, the size is usually a pretty good ballpark guide. I appreciate your comments.

Marv

A-List Customer
I have a 1968 Martin Lane G1 in a US 46" but it fits more like a UK 44" so as mentioned you can't go off the label size I'm afraid :)

green papaya

One Too Many
I would go with a size 46 if you plan on wearing a sweater under it

military G-1's usually fit smaller than commercial sizes, they have a leaner cut

bigger is always better than too small, you need room to move

Peacoat

Bartender
Green Papaya, I think you are pretty close. While I was looking for a vintage G-1 for myself, I came across a current issue G-1 in a 50. I bought it intending to give it to a long time friend of mine who had been a helicopter sonar man in the Navy many years ago. It was a little tight for him (he was a linebacker in college) so I kept it for myself. The jacket was big through the waist and chest, so I soaked the body in warm water for about 10 minutes. Two days later when it was dry, I tried it on. Good fit for a knock about waterproof jacket. Plenty of room for a sweater, and an OK fit with just a shirt. As my search for a vintage G-1 continues, I think a 46 will be a good ballpark to start asking for measurements. Thanks for all of your thoughts on the matter.

And yes, the quality of the vintage G-1s is much higher than that of the current issue jacket. Too bad.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The waist is a make-or-break factor on many G-1s. Some are cut much leaner thru the waist than thru the chest.

I would recommend getting a waist measurement - on the hide where it meets the waistband, not on the band itself (which expands).

Maverickson

Familiar Face
Peacoat,

It has been my good fortune to have found that the G-1 jackets made in the late 1950s by L.W. Foster are the most comfortable USN jacket. As it turns out this was a large contract and many are still availble.

These jackets do not cut quickly to the waist unlike most other G-1 jackets. In additon, these jackets more often than not exhibit large shoulders which enables a wearer the option of comfortably layering.

Cheers,

tamoko

New in Town
Just beware 50's or 60's G-1 relatively short, not like WW2. After 55J14 contract navy leather is shorter on body, but some contract like 7823 Monarch is in older shape(but rare and expensive). You can try sz50 but need to cutting sleeves, and waistband is other question. I think 44-46 will be good size, but more expensive [huh] .

PS: one good 50-60 in sz46 hard to find.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
My theory is that naval aviators began to take on the shape of the Average Fit Civilian during Korea, when a lot of older reservists were called back up to fly. After that time, the Marines (newly hardcore themselves, thanks to almost being broken up in the mid 50s) started training airedales as the physical and mental manifestation of elite warriors - not just the functional one they'd always played. Goodbye Average Fit Civilian jackets, any old brown shoes and such.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
Pcote, johnny2x here...

from our other discussions on the remarkable ;D chest circumference thread, i take it you are a size smaller than i...what i've found in vintage g-1s is thus:

my chest being 45.5", i like them a bit loose, and i have had to go up to a 50 at the very least to get that slight ease of fit...if i was going to layer (as you are) the jacket would probably fit me as you wish yours to fit

so my guess is you want one size smaller than i take in a vintage milspec g-1...which sounds like a 46 to 48 pour vous

just more trash to throw at you whilst you make your mind up...but as stated in that amazing chest circumference thread. actual measurements tell the day...as some above have pointed out, even in vintage g-1s, there is variation in the sizing

love to hear, and see, what you finally pick up...good luck

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
There's an Aero M-422A repro on eBay at the moment that is tagged 50, but measures exactly like my (very tight-fitting) sz 46 Aero AN-6552. [huh]

To Peacoat's anecdote: it's possible to shrink a goat jacket, but much harder to stretch it. I wet-stretched my 6552 twice - each time it returned to size in a matter of days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran