G-1 Jacket Purchase

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Reginald Buckleaf III, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Perfect, Reg. Love it. Broken in and relaxed drape. Lexol is great for goat. I would put another coat of that on in a day or two - not too thick and buff it off- and leave it for a year or two. Damn jacket looks like you've owned it forever and it fits a treat.

Reginald Buckleaf III likes this.
  2. Reginald Buckleaf III

Reginald Buckleaf III New in Town

[emoji16] Thank you sir! Noted regarding the Lexol. It’s never done me wrong. I’ve used it on my dress shoes in between polishes for years with great results. I’ve even used it on Shell Cordovan...[emoji2958]....[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Kennyz

Kennyz Familiar Face

The jacket looks really great, and you look very cool wearing it, Reginald!

Ken

Reginald Buckleaf III likes this.
  4. Reginald Buckleaf III

Reginald Buckleaf III New in Town

Thank you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kennyz likes this.
  5. Michaelp

Michaelp New in Town

6. Michaelp

Michaelp New in Town

If I were you I go with the Brill Bros. Buy cuffs and waistband on Ebay, they are about $30-40 a set. Find a GOOD leather tailor spend another $125 and you around $300 total with a great G1.

7. Michaelp

Michaelp New in Town

Go on line to the GOOD WEAR LEATHER CO. they have 19 different A2 styles to choose from. All ww2 designs. Only 3 G1 styles.

8. Ken Amaro

Ken Amaro New in Town

9. Ken Amaro

Ken Amaro New in Town

Thor..I'd love ve to see some pics of that buffalo G1 that is mentioned..

10. Wedge 417

Wedge 417 New in Town

So in 2021? What's the options for buying a good repro G-1.

I have just acquired a vintage pristine Brill Bros G-1. But sadly the size is too big. I thought a vintage size 44 would fit but unfortunately it's way to big for me. I'm on the look out for a size 42 or possibly 40.

In the meantime I'm considering repros. What are your thoughts for a vintage fit trim? I'm not into the baggy or modern cut?

I've heard only good things about G&B but I've also heard they're on the larger and baggy side. Also their G-1 looks a lot darker than the brown issue, is this just bad pictures or is it true?

Thanks in advance

11. Kevin the Devon

Kevin the Devon New in Town

I own a Gibson Barnes Raider (a G1 with different pockets?)
    It's vegetable tanned leather. Very soft and very good quality leather.

It fits me well but yes baggy/loose on the sides under my arms

12. Deacon211

Deacon211 One Too Many

Though I have kind of fallen off the G-1 hunt, I think you have some good options for a reasonable price these days.

5 Star leather seems to have a great following and for the price is hard to beat.

AVI leathers is another great choice and the one or two examples posted on here look to be great jackets.

Another good contender is Headwind Mfg. I have one of their earlier examples and it’s a really solid jacket.

Then you have the more well known companies: Aero, ELC, etc which are all solid choices.

I would at least consider the Cockpit 100 Mission jacket. It’s not intended to be a spot on copy, but really captures the spirit of the style.

Lots of choices these days and it’s just a matter of picking your price, your level of historical accuracy, and your preference for stock or bespoke.

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  13. Deacon211

Deacon211 One Too Many

Oh, G+B has kind of fallen off the radar these days as they dialed back their jacket sales a bit.

Indeed last I heard G+B had resized their jackets to accommodate a more, ahem, full bodied customer base.

If you don’t like them baggy, you probably don’t want a G+B from the last several years.

14. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

Agreed. my first A-2 was a G&B and it was huuuuuuge! I can’t remember when the last time I saw a new Gibson Barnes jacket around here

15. ASpilot

ASpilot New in Town

I JUST got myself a Cockpit G1 (the plain milspec one) and I have to say, I am VERY impressed. Its true to size, trim fitting, and just looks great. The goatskin is very nice, the real sheep mouton collar is great. I tried to mess around with vintage jackets on ebay and after buying 3 that just didnt fit me right or were in poor condition I gave up and just got the Cockpit. I cant imagine paying more for a more high end repro. I found the Cockpit for less than $500 online, a very fair price in my opinion. Its the perfect repro G1 in my opinion.

seres likes this.
  16. Fireflame

Fireflame Familiar Face

Must be an amazing collection. Would love to see it. I’ve only had one and had to sell it years ago because I outgrew it. Still looking for a special one to replace it with

17. ASpilot

ASpilot New in Town

Attached Files:

seres and Fireflame like this.