Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1 Removable Collars

Stlawrence

New in Town
I know you all are going to jump on me, because I'm more a function over form guy.

I had an LL Bean bomber jacket (sic) that I loved for many years, but after it shrank in the closet I passed it to my thinner son. I love the look of the G-1, but I also love the look of the A-2. Even though they're different, they both have beauty in their own way.

While the wool collar on the G-2 provides a lot of warmth, in an uninsulated jacket I'm sure there are times when it's a bit much in the spring/early summer. In addition, and this is just a preference, I think the A-2 with the leather collar looks better than the G-1 when worn with khakis and a shirt and tie.

So. The Cockpit removable collar on the G-2 seems the perfect compromise to me. I know that it's not esthetically pure, but that is not a priority for me.

That said, what is the consensus on the removable collar? Does it work? Is it comfortable? Does it look good? Having spent months lurking on this site, I value your collective opinions.

While I'm at it. My wife, who is a kind woman, calls me stocky. I'm about 5'7", 180 pounds, and normally wear a 42 suit coat and 16/32 shirt. Is there a jacket from the mid-level guys (Cockpit/USWings/Gibson Barnes) that is more forgiving of the, ahem, stocky build? I know Gibson Barnes sells a short fit, but they don't have the removable collar, so we're back to the issue above.

Thanks.

thor

One Too Many
Schott also make a G-1 jacket with a removable fur collar and their fit is more loose fitting (some would say “blousey”) which might work for you. They’re sized S-6XL.
I can’t comment on the comfort or convenience of removable collars since all of my G-1 jackets are the traditional (non-removable) type.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Same as the Senior Chief, all of my G-1s have the permanent collar. I mean the collar is a major part of what makes a G-1 a G-1. Without that collar, it really isn't a G-1. As always, just my opinion.

Welcome to the Lounge.
I was preparing to say exactly what was just said above, although @Peacoat expressed my point of view even better than I could have done.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
There are great differences between the G-1 and A-2 jackets beyond their collars. Truthfully, their only similarity is that they are both military leather flight jackets. Beyond that, they have little in common. I’ve always thought a man would wear his A-2 with a Lacoste shirt and Bill’s khakis while he accompanied his prudish wife antique shopping on a Saturday afternoon. But he’d be wearing his G-1 over a t-shirt and ragged jeans as he walks out of his house alone...and ends up at a rough and rowdy roadhouse...over in the dark, sketchy part of town.

AF

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There are great differences between the G-1 and A-2 jackets beyond their collars. Truthfully, their only similarity is that they are both military leather flight jackets. Beyond that, they have little in common. I’ve always thought a man would wear his A-2 with a Lacoste shirt and Bill’s khakis while he accompanied his prudish wife antique shopping on a Saturday afternoon. But he’d be wearing his G-1 over a t-shirt and ragged jeans as he walks out of his house alone...and ends up at a rough and rowdy roadhouse...over in the dark, sketchy part of town.

AF

I'll have to try it :)

Stlawrence

New in Town
Schott also make a G-1 jacket with a removable fur collar and their fit is more loose fitting (some would say “blousey”) which might work for you. They’re sized S-6XL.
I can’t comment on the comfort or convenience of removable collars since all of my G-1 jackets are the traditional (non-removable) type.

Thanks, Thor, for the suggestion. I looked at the Schotts, which I believe also produce for USWings, and thought, "Wow, that's a beautiful jacket." Then I noticed it is lambskin. Now, I've never owned lambskin, but I am a sheep farmer and would like the idea of a lambskin jacket. I have read, though, that lambskin is very friable and I wonder if it would hold up to rough treatment.

Is Schott's lambskin particularly thick, and not as susceptible to tearing? I'd hate to rip the thing, just walking through the woods.

Stlawrence

New in Town
I went to the Schott's site to look at the Wings of Gold jacket, and Schott's has more photos than USWings has. Saw something interesting, though. The normal issue-type G-1 always seems to have the wind flap on the right side (as you're wearing it) of the jacket, affixed behind the slider of the zipper. The Wings of Gold jacket has the wind flap attached to the left side of the jacket, affixed behind the male side of the zipper.

Seems to me that would make it pretty awkward to zip, and I wonder why they would do that?

I looked at as many photos as I could find, and I've not seen an issue jacket with the wind flap on the "wrong" side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto