Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G1 with Leather Collar? Help/Advice/Opinions

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Hey Gang,

Any G1 enthusiasts I'd appreciate your help. Wanting another jacket and considering a US Authentic custom in russet Horsehide. However, I think I prefer a leather collar option- other than that a basic G1. I like the bi-swing back and "open" zipper and lack of epaullettes but like the A2 collar...

http://www.flightjacket.com/g-1-jacket-custom.html

Anyone out there have images of a G1 with leather collars? The idea seems ok but would like seeing one!!!

Oh... am intrigued by the removable fur collar option... Would that be a leather collar that the fur snaps to ???
Thanks,
Clint

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Some years ago I briefly owned an Aero ANJ3 which I bought on eBay and resold on TFL for the simple reason that it was too small (as is typical with the USN jackets, it's a trim fit, and you do need to go a size up on what you would wear on an A2 to compensate). Lovely jacket, nicely made and with the great goatskin Aero do. Not on their website now - they may have stopped dong this model. Well worth it if you see a used one, though. If you wanted to go for the new price, as they really are, in essence, a G1 type with no mouton on the collar, I'm sure Aero could still do you one - in fact, if all you want is a G1 less the mouton (as opposed to being interested in a specific issue model), just ask them for that. I can't imagine any circumstances under which Aero would refuse.

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the input guys- its appreciated. Researched the ANJ-3 after the suggestions but I want HH AND cannot budget an Aero version. So both makers are out. But since the ANJ-3 looks exactly like a G1 without fur collar (except with the storm flap over the zipper)I now have a good reference so I can debate my options!!

Thanks,
Clint

Last edited:

Lando

Practically Family
I got a custom G1 in Russet HH with the leather collar from US Authentic a short while back. It's a really great jacket. Just remember to ask to put the collar snaps from the A2 on or else your collar will be all over the place lol. Beyond that, I added the cotton liner because the rayon always feels a bit weak against all that horsehide. Think about the vintage goatskin too, its a nice russett like color and much softer. Hope that helps.
6185111595_ced6996f9b_b.jpg

6185633208_9c2de67df3_b.jpg

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Lando,

That is EXACTLY what I wanted to see! Thanks for the insight on the snaps... didn't think of it. PhantomFixer mentions those snaps and he's right. I had a jacket with normal leather collar (no snaps) which on the motorcycle, at just the right speed, would begin to flutter and smack your face... Hurts very bad. So will request it.

Was the cotton lining extra?? Does it fit small or large in your opinion?? I'm after a trim fit and wear a 44".

Thanks,
Clint

Lando

Practically Family
If you want trim then you may want to go down a size. I like my G1s with a little space for a vest or some padding and the 48 works that way for me. I could fit in a 46 if I wanted it to fit close though. As for the cotton lining, to my knowledge from my ordering history with them, when you do the custom jackets you don't get charged extra for changing the linings. I have a few customs from US A that I've switched zippers, linings and pocket shapes on and nothing has cost me extra. I know its not historically accurate or any of that, but I do think that US Authentic does nice work for the price so that I have no issues treating the jacket meanly. And what is a jacket at the end of the day but the skin we abuse so we don't have to abuse our own lol.

I'd say, check out Gibson and Barnes, because their G1 and M422a are nice, but they only do them in Goatskin. I know this because I called and had them ask around to make sure they couldn't do it. Which is weird since their HH is so much lighter than US Authentics. Either way, their goatskins is very nice. But if you want a HH G1 then US Authentic is a pretty good bet for the money. Hope that helps.

Edward

Bartender
It doesn't surprise me that a company that chases accuracy of reproduction as a key selling point would avoid selling a G1 type in horse when those were never issued. Plenty of companies will offer you the option, though, as Lando says. FWIW, comparing my Aero goat A2 and my ELC horse A2, I don't find any practical difference in the hides, though the horsehide has developed the characteristic wear patterns that the goat hasn't, so if that's important to you, horse is the thing.

ETA: Nice jacket, Jan! I loved the Aero ANJ3 I picked up, but it was just too small for me. Sounds like you've found the same as I did re sizing - if memory serves, you normally wear a 40 in an Aero? I corresponded with Amanda about that jacket too (we discussed a trade in, but in the end I was better off selling it privately), and she confirmed they're so neatly cut you need to go a size up.

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
For this jacket its purely being purchased for looks and personal tastes... Don't care for 100% accuracy... Just tough, well made fairly affordable with 1940s early 1950s feel. Everyone, thanks so much for the opinions and insights.

Lando, specifically, great help!

Clint
PS. Jan, is your ANJ3 seal-brown?

JanSolo

Practically Family
PS. Jan, is your ANJ3 seal-brown?

No. Seal brown is a spray finish colour which is usually (with Aero) only available in mid weight leathers. The jacket depicted is made from heavy brown Front Quarter Horsehide. It's not a solid brown because there is no pigment finish on this type of leather. The colour is sort of mottled...close to milk chocolate.

No. Seal brown is a spray finish colour which is usually (with Aero) only available in mid weight leathers. The jacket depicted is made from heavy brown Front Quarter Horsehide. It's not a solid brown because there is no pigment finish on this type of leather. The colour is sort of mottled...close to milk chocolate.

Jan, I love that jacket! How are you liking it? Weather better for it now?

Lando

Practically Family
It doesn't surprise me that a company that chases accuracy of reproduction as a key selling point would avoid selling a G1 type in horse when those were never issued. Plenty of companies will offer you the option, though, as Lando says.

What was weird though was that G&B said they could not, which their machinery, do it. They said the HH was too thick for them to stitch through when it layered up in certain corners. Had nothing to do with the historical accuracy. Aero said they'd make me a HH G1 without even a thought. It was just odd. Ive done plenty of custom work with G&B and it was the only thing they werent able to do for me lol. Great companies, all of them though.

Edward

Bartender
What was weird though was that G&B said they could not, which their machinery, do it. They said the HH was too thick for them to stitch through when it layered up in certain corners. Had nothing to do with the historical accuracy. Aero said they'd make me a HH G1 without even a thought. It was just odd. Ive done plenty of custom work with G&B and it was the only thing they werent able to do for me lol. Great companies, all of them though.

Makes sense to me that they would need different machinery for heavier hides... Aero, of course, have all the stuff for their utility jackets which are often as not heavy steer or horse, so they could do it. It wouldn't have occurred to me that midweight horse as in an A2 would pose this problem, especially for a company that already produces A2s, but then there is a little perceptible difference in thickness between my Aero goat hide and my ELC horse A2.... seems the horse is just a little thicker. Not much in it, but perhaps enough to casue a problem with the more complicated G1 type pattern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points