Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Garden plans this year?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here

One other thing I have in my garden is a Rhubarb plant. My grandmother set that plant out well over 60 years ago. It's still going strong after all this time. She dug the roots from her sister-in-law's garden, so there's really no telling just how old that plant is.

Big Man

Big Man -- wow that is nice. The setting with the house and car makes for a great photo. I wish your granddaughter a successful crop and brisk sales! I used to go to farmer's market with my wife's Granddad and it was time well spent. Boy, that man could garden ... he about worked me to death just trying to keep up with him (he was in his 70s/80s when I was his farm-hand).

She has a plan to load the corn up in the back of our '48 Plymouth and go down to the railroad crossing and try to sell it there. Sounds like a good "gimmick" to me.

I put out some tomato and jalapeño plants.
4be03ccc4ddc8d8723f156154f1ea693.jpg

The d@mn dogs dug up and ate all but one of the pepper plants. WTF? Anyone ever experience this? They didn't bother the tomatoes.
I also planted an apple tree.
7e8d5c5ba160b46f6ab64ef32cb09d2e.jpg

I read once that the best time to plant a fruit tree is 20 years ago, and the next best time is right now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I also planted an apple tree.

I read once that the best time to plant a fruit tree is 20 years ago, and the next best time is right now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We had good luck with getting apples off our dwarfs really soon. (We plucked most of them off the first few years to allow them to put towards the roots.)

We planted semi-dwarfs at the new house in 2013. No apples yet, but they are really growing. I am hopeful that perhaps this year we will get a few... mainly because we've planted two kinds I've never had.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am upset. We had a late snow, and at the time our orchard was just starting to bud out. I was pretty hopeful that most of our trees had survived our dry hot summer last year, but it looks like this late hard frost got a lot of the ones that were planted last spring. It's been two weeks and the buds are still black.

Boo. Right now it looks like our 3 apples, one sweet cherry, a pecan, and one black walnut made it. The peach, both asian pears, the other sweet cherry, the sour cherries, the shag bark hickories, my persimmon, and one black walnut have black buds.

I did my best to select varieties that tolerated late frost based upon blooming times (hence why I think the sweet cherry survived, despite being a warmer zoned one). My husband said that it's ok, these things happen, but I am so disappointed. I'm hoping maybe they will come back... sigh. Apparently our orchard is like 5 trees now.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I planted Kentucky Wonder green beans along the chain link fence between my place and my neighbor's. Along the sidewalk, I planted moonflower and white morning seeds by the fence. I want to turn the chain link fence from a bug into a feature.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I've planted heirloom lettuce in vintage enamel dish basins on the covered porch of my vintage house. (One of the basins was actually new--it still had the tags on it, one dated 4/3/1970.) I don't want the bunnies or the heat to get to the lettuce.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I didn't plan on doing any gardening, but I desperately needed to clean up the yard. I have taken out quite a few bushes over the last few weeks, they were taking over the side walk. Today I did some more general cleaning, looks better now. The picture below are my wild roses, amazing how hardy they are! Unfortunately, I wore my straw cowboy hat while I was gardening, but took it off to go and ride the motorcycle, I ended up talking to my neighbor for way to long, I could fill the burn when I put my helmet on. Funny how you lose track of time while talking to friends!
DSC_0009_zpswc1ijfos.jpg

3fingers

One Too Many
As usual, I am tardy with the gardening chores. Hopefully will be able to get caught up this weekend.
As much as I feel for those who have been locked out of their regular employment, I could use a few days to work around home.

Big Man

I have two of my grandchildren living with us during this time of the pandemic. Both of them are good helpers in the garden. We've already planned a couple rows of corn, beans, and potatoes. I usually space out planting every two weeks, so everything doesn't come in at the same time.
FB_IMG_1586474275025.jpg

M Brown

A-List Customer
Tomatoes (4 varieties) , squash, cucumbers, canteloup, jalapeno, cayenne, blueberries, blackberries, figs, eggplant, red & yellow bell peppers, and cucumbers.

And it looks like I'll have to cover all of them up for 3 nights starting Sunday because the weather is going to drop into the upper 30's.
It was 97 here yesterday and 68 today!

Captain Neon

Familiar Face
After living in Kentucky for two seasons in a rented house, we bought our own place just before Christmas: a 1930s Cape Cod. I may be biting off more than I can chew, but time will tell. I plan to put 20 tomato plants in the ground, 8 tomato plants in pots on my deck. I've also got pots on the deck for basil, oregano, sage, spearmint, and cilantro. My 7 y/o asked me to plant 3 cucumber hills for him as well. I started my tomatoes on 3/20/2020. I plan to get started with the tomato pots this weekend. When my wife and I were newlyweds in southern Minnesota 18 years ago, she convinced me to plant a couple tomato plants in a bare spot behind our garage. I figured a few BLTs with home grown tomatoes might be a special treat. I get plenty of tomatoes for BLTs now!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
After living in Kentucky for two seasons in a rented house, we bought our own place just before Christmas: a 1930s Cape Cod. I may be biting off more than I can chew, but time will tell. I plan to put 20 tomato plants in the ground, 8 tomato plants in pots on my deck. I've also got pots on the deck for basil, oregano, sage, spearmint, and cilantro. My 7 y/o asked me to plant 3 cucumber hills for him as well. I started my tomatoes on 3/20/2020. I plan to get started with the tomato pots this weekend. When my wife and I were newlyweds in southern Minnesota 18 years ago, she convinced me to plant a couple tomato plants in a bare spot behind our garage. I figured a few BLTs with home grown tomatoes might be a special treat. I get plenty of tomatoes for BLTs now!
So how's the canning coming? :D

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
With our new home build now two years' old this very month, we are in a position to really move on our gardening plans.

Primarily ornamental vice fruit and veg ( for now), we had professional plans drawn up by a landscape architect. We simply do not have the knowledge for the large scale we are dealing with, sun versus shade, best for the soil type, etc.

As we will be doing most of the work ourselves to save tons on labour, I will try to post our progress as we go.

We are on a 100 acre farm with about 2 acres of house property. I will start with the before shots.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I can start now with the tabula rasa (blank slate) shots.

House has mainly settled, and the grading and retaining walls done in summer 2019, with additional work (front walkway, side walk along garage, stepped slope work and dry river bed/French drain in the back) done last summer.

This year, the roto-totiller and wheel barrow will be let loose!

The side and back:

20210403_120347.jpg
20210403_120324.jpg

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Side and rear areas. There will be blue spruce groves at the back to soften the view of the farm shed and block the ugly infrastructure like the transformer, Generac generator and propane torpedo tank.

20210403_120221.jpg

20210403_120245.jpg

Attachments

• 20210403_120240.jpg
    20210403_120240.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 166

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ