Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gary White, The Custom Hatter from Buffalo, hats for sale--size 7 1/8

fedorafiend

Familiar Face
I have two brown, beautiful soft felt hats for sale. Both were made by master hatter Gary White. My best guess is these two hats are circa 1985 vintage, so, they are earlier "Gary Whites" with the earlier style liner--he has been making custom hats for about 30 years now. Because I am having difficulty posting pictures here, if anyone wants both or one of these, the price I am asking ($125.00 for each, shipping included), you can email me for photos at anselmoesq@aol.com

Or, you can PM me?

If I cannot sell them here to knowledgeable hat guys and gals, I'll put them on eBay. Thanks.

100_2546.jpg

100_2533.jpg

100_2557.jpg

100_2544.jpg

Last edited:

fedorafiend

Familiar Face
I forgot to mention that I would also entertain offers. The darker of the two hats is, in my opinion, the better of the two because it has a nicer "finish" in the sweatband, including that wax paper lining between the sweat and the liner--- and the felt is sooo soft, probably 100% beaver. It also has a slightly wider brim, a bit more than 2 inches. If you are interested in either hat, ask me questions and I will provide answers as best as I can, including the exact dimensions.

Both of the liners have some staining and both have the name and address of the original owner written in ink on the liner, partially covered by the sweatband, but not completely. I can email more photos and details if requested.

#1 darker brown hat: Crown (open) 5 1/2 inches; Brim 2 1/8 inches; sweatband 1 5/8 inches; ribbon 2 inches

#2 lighter brown hat: Crown (open) 5 1/2 inches; Brim 2 inches; sweatband 2 inches; ribbon 2 inches

No moth bites, odors or damage of any kind. Slight stains in the liners, in the lighter hat the stain is very difficult to see, but in the interest of full disclosure I am mentioning it.

These hats are made of what to me appears to be pure beaver vintage felt. Mr. White is known for his stock of old, vintage felt which he purchased from factories and hatters who closed shop. He is the only one of all the custom hatters who uses vintage hat bodies. These two are clearly of that kind.

Last edited:

fedorafiend

Familiar Face
Price reduction on each hat.

The darker one is now $100.00 plus shipping to CONUS and the lighter one is now $90.00 plus shipping to CONUS.

fedorafiend

Familiar Face
Can you pros let me know if my pricing is out of the range of "reasonable"? If there is no interest here I'll probably keep them because I can't possibly hope for more interest on eBay where the general population probably has no idea who Gary White is. Thank you in advance.

I have way too many hats (130+) and really need to thin the heard. I should have an Art Fawcett summer weight coming up soon.

fedorafiend

Familiar Face
Bowlerman, if the hat had come with a 2 1/2 brim I never would have sold it. I just love wider brims but even so this hat is really very nice, great felt and well made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ