Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Generation Kill

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I've just been watching this mini-series on DVD and have to say it's one of the very best shows I've ever seen.

Fantastic acting, directing, editing, etc, etc. it's an absolute hum-bloody-dinger of a series.

I might even go so far as to say it's the best short length mini-series I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

This is an absolute masterpiece.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Ian, good to have another Kiwi around these parts ;)

It's a bloody fantastic series. One of the very best.

Ian Hedley-Wakefield

New in Town
Yeah we're pretty few and far between.

I really liked the length of the series, it wasn't drawn out over 22 episodes, it was really watch-able and the story was concise and extremely well executed.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Yeah we're pretty few and far between.

I really liked the length of the series, it wasn't drawn out over 22 episodes, it was really watch-able and the story was concise and extremely well executed.

Very true Ian, it's a very welcome change from the 8 season, meandering nonsense that usually gets released.

For me in terms of war series, this is even streets ahead of "Band of Brothers". This is television at it's absolute best.

Magnificent stuff.

Ian Hedley-Wakefield

New in Town
The title and the source say all I need to know about it.

Bad call. The series spends more time exploring the issues that face the soldiers and the civilians caught up in the conflict than it does on explosions and killing "the bad guys".

My $0.02, at the end of the day if you're not into it then that's all there is to it.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Haven't watched, won't watch. The title and the source say all I need to know about it.

Shame, as you are missing out on a brilliantly made piece of television.

If you think it's somehow anti-American I'd disagree with that. One of the things which hugely impressed me is how these men cope with exceedingly difficult operational conditions . I'm not American but I didn't think this was against Americans or the US at all. Rather IMHO, like most of the better depictions of war on screen, this tries to show a truer picture of the face of war.

After seeing this I was intrigued by others opinions of it and had a bit of a look round the net and was happy to see the amount of Iraq veterans on Amazon, IMDB, etc who had high praise for this. Not that that's a recipe for greatness but it's nice to see some who were there thought that the filmmakers did a good job.

BTW (and also for bartenders) I do not want this thread to become in the least bit political. It should not have to (and has not yet) but if it does please lock it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112