Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen's attire--do you indulge?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Just wondering if any of you ladies swipe vintage clothes from the boys?

Both of my favorite winter coats were made for men and I've just bought some vintage suspenders. I'm tempted by some of the vintage men's shoes I've seen too.

How about you?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I do, indeedy. I love men's shirts, ties, tie bars, and hats. I prefer women's trousers but I'd love to have a pair in a masculine navy pinstripe. Ooh, and cuff links are fun, too!

nyx

One of the Regulars
I love men's pea coats in winter because they are so heavy and big enough to cover whatever I'm wearing. My father was in the air force and I stole his peacoat to wear on the coldest days.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I haven't really worn much by way of men's clothes since I was a teen and used to swipe my dad's jeans. I do have a pair of olive green 50s flat front pants that my boyfriend purchased and then decided he didn't want because they were a bit too big in the waist. They're comfy, but I don't wear them too often because I'm just not a fan of pants.

I do love the 50s rock n roll shirts and shirtjacks so maybe I'll try to snag some of those at some point! I'm sure they'd look adorable with capris or jeans.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I've lost/given/donated more good shirts to women over the years than I can remember. There's something about a woman and a man's oxford that's so....well never mind. :)

IMHO Katherine Hepburn made a gal in men's clothing look so right! :)

Now I'd like to find a quilted man's vest that even approaches the quality of the ones made for women. :(

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I don't specifically borrow men's clothes, since most of them are way to big on me, but I like men's inspired basics like nice pants, nice shirts with french cuffs etc, but I like if they are cut for a woman since men's clothing is way too boxy.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Cufflinks, suspenders and hats!

Now, if I could find a really good tie and tie pin I'd be in heaven.

Menswear amazes me. I worship tailors.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Just shirts for me.... and dress shirts at that.

I just love the way a crisp-fronted, white, cotton, slightly starched dress shirt looks with a pair of black trousers....

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
I love the men's casual shirts too - especially Hawaiian ones.

My very favorite cardigan for knocking around the house is a men's cardigan - I swooned over the label: "Keen Man", and it has a little thunderbird applique on the pocket.

And probably one of my very favorite vintage items that I own is a tuxedo waistcoat with the tailor and owner's name and date (Nov 1, 1899) that fits me perfectly.

I just started getting addicted to ties and handkerchiefs. Not that I've had much chance to wear them, but they are so much fun to shop for. :)

Jen

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I love fedoras, pinstripes, Hawaiian shirts, dress shirts, and mens' trenchcoats and pea coats.

Also men's retro cuffed jeans with a white tee shirt, for than "Jane Dean" look. :)

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I do like more severe styles... I love mens clothing at times. I am a sucker for suede bucks, wore my white ones out, now have beige. I have my grandfather's old cufflinks~ although I need a better fitting cuffed shirt. I also love love newsboy hats.

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
Maybe not for myself, but I would love to have enough money to surprise my husband with some nice vintage or vintage-inspired clothes. The problem is, as much as he loves it he's much too shy and/or apathetic to wear it :(

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I love vintage men's wear... my very favorite wing-tipped oxford brogues are actually men's shoes! (That's the upside to big feet lol) I also have sailor's wool pants, linen deck pants, a classic cracker-jack sailor shirt, and sailor cap that were all part of some 1930s or 40s fellow's naval uniform; they are now some of my favorite separates. Some of my blouses are antique or vintage little boy's shirts, as well; kid's vintage is way cheaper than the ladies' sizes, and the boxier-cut tops actually fit me quite well.

Sometimes I worry about looking too over-the-top girly, and I feel like a nice classic piece of men's wear does a lot to "ground" an outfit. And I know most gals donned their brothers' garb for work/after-school garb up until around the 1950s, so it's quite authentic!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I kidnapped (no ransom) one of my boyfriend's white, cotton button down shirts. I neatly cuff the sleeves up over my elbows (before putting it on) and wear it tucked in and belted with a black circle skirt or very high-waisted wide-legged trousers. It gives me more movement than women's shirts and with it cuffed and tucked, it doesn't overwhelm my frame. I attach a rhinestone or bakelite dress clip to the pocket because it just needs that little something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot