Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gents i'm a little nervous about the status of my jacket. German mail Or US?

loosebolts

Familiar Face
OK ladies and gents.
i posted a thread about my recent birthday purchase of a German motorcycle jacket. so i paid a reasonably amount for 6-8 day shipping...not that i'm itching. It was shipped on the 30th of December. so even with the NYE delay roughly it should have been here 7th or 8th ( the estimate to get to California.) the DHL De tracking number does not work for international shipments but i tried to trace it that way and this was all i was able to come up with

Sent/processed on 30th of Dec.
In Bornicke 3th of Jan.
In frankfurt 4th of jan.
In IPZ Ffm 4th of jan.(not sure what this is)
released from IPZ Ffm handed to delivery organization of 8th jan.

So as it stands i was told by a former DHL employee it would be a third part that would deliver it like OnTrack or some other odd ball delivery company. apparently there is no way to trace it.
so its the 14th, when should i actually start to worry?
i do have a jacket addiction and this is getting to me like a kid trying to climb up a shelf to get candy.
any info appreciated.
loosebolts

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Maybe contact the person who shipped your jacket to attempt to put a trace on his shipment to you. Hopefully, the shipper insured the package. If you paid with a credit card you should be fully protected for non-delivery. If Paypal, I think that you have 45 days to file a dispute. Very frustrating though.

Cole

One of the Regulars
The last jacket I shipped from germany to the U.S. with DHL arrived after 4 weeks. 2 days after I filed a claim for lost package.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Two weeks or a bit more seems to be about how long packages seem to take from europe, with customs and all. Especially with lost days for postal closures new years eve and day, and two sets of weekends. I wouldn't start worrying or filing claims yet.

JanSolo

Practically Family
If I order something from the states it usually ends up in German customs no matter if it's been sent with DHL, USPS or UPS. Once it has arrived at the local depot they send me a little note that says that a delivery is ready for collection.

I'm pretty sure that DHL doesn't do customs declaration for you. If I would be in your postion I would phone up your local customs office and ask them if they have something waiting for you. This may help to speed things up.

BTW: IPZ stands for Internationales Post Zentrum which roughly translates into international hub. Since most stuff is shipped abroad via Frankfurt Airport your delivery should already be in the US...presumably stuck in customs. I'm very sure it's not lost!!

Hope that helps

loosebolts

Familiar Face
i live a little out in the country, never seen a DHL truck on my street in 15 years. today two different ones parked out front of my house to give packages to my neighbor. life is funny and ironic some times.
ill call local customs and check there and try and learn more patience. still the shipping rate i paid for the 6-8 shipping was a third of the price of a jacket. but that's neither here nor there.

majormajor

One Too Many
i live a little out in the country, never seen a DHL truck on my street in 15 years. today two different ones parked out front of my house to give packages to my neighbor. life is funny and ironic some times.

I hope your neighbor didn't get your jacket!

Seriously tho - good luck with that

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Yes that went smoothly - shipping to the East Coast region from Europe always goes pretty quickly. However I once sent a parcel to California and it took almost 6 weeks.

kyboots

Practically Family
Six years ago I used DHL land exclusively to ship in this country especially art. It was cheaper and arrived same time as overnight. DHL had no land transport only local so everything was flown overnight no matter how it was shipped. Never had a problem. They have been sold to another entitity since then but I would agree it is still in customs or next door.

loosebolts

Familiar Face
well ill wait and see. i dont think its the German mail any more. im still waiting on other things i bought Dec 17th. 5 packages out there in the universe and not one has arrived yet. bout to file a lost package form on the a few others.
could be a shady mail man some where, so some one just likes schnapps. either or a bit of both.

I know Mario's been having some real issues with the packages he's been sending out of Germany.

My one took 1 month to arrive at my door … in the UK. It took 3 days to get to the UK, it got to my local delivery office within 5 days (including a weekend), it got onto a van for delivery within 6 days. 2 deliveries "were attempted". The parcel was sent back to the international hub for return to Germany. Parcelforce (the part of Royal Mail that deals with large packages and international packages, long ago hived off from Royal Mail in the false notion that a private company will always provide a better service - listen up Government: NOT IF IT'S STILL A MONOPOLY!!) claim that the package never had a UK delivery address or postcode on it. Just exactly how it got onto the correct delivery truck, no-one at the company can tell me. Someone's playing silly buggers here, but we'll never know who.

The only reason I got the package is because I hassled them mercilessly on the telephone. I managed to get the telephone number of the National Hub (a number which is not online, and is not supposed to be given out to customers). I had a tracking number that Mario had given me, fortunately. Pity the poor bugger without internet (i.e. old folks) or less inclined to whine and complain.;) Their package would simply disappear into the aether, never to return.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points