German & Austrian Hutmachers

Discussion in 'Hats' started by mayserwegener, Sep 1, 2008.

1. steur

steur

Picked this one up yesterday. It has been sitting in that shop for some time now and it isn't my size.
    Mayser panama boater in a size 58. Brim at 5,8cm and crown between 8,5 and 9cm. Not as stiff as a traditional boater would be, which can be seen best looking at the side and front views, where the weight of the hat makes the top bulge up somewhat on the hat stand. So quit flexible and a fun summer hat.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

I dig that ribbon!

3. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

It's so eye catching isn't it? Be cool to find a matching bow tie.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

4. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Stefan, Great to see a more current Mayser. I liked that they used a Panama body. The ribbon / bow is great as noted.

5. Chepstow

Chepstow I'll Lock Up

Cool Hat Stefan. A shame that is not the stiff quality of the good old Boaters from the past!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

steur likes this.
  6. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Very nice, Stefan! I like it!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

steur and Steve1857 like this.
  7. Garrett

Garrett My Mail is Forwarded Here

1930's Mayser velour - the depth of color on this amazing blue felt is akin to that of any JHS I've had the pleasure of seeing in person.

IMG-1324.jpeg IMG-1325.jpeg IMG-1326.jpeg IMG-1327.jpeg IMG-1328.jpeg IMG-1329.jpeg

An expensive hat in its day

IMG-1330.jpeg

Natural lighting on an overcast day

IMG-1331.jpeg

8. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

Yes, the color is amazing, Garrett. Wow.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

9. M Hatman

M Hatman My Mail is Forwarded Here

10. I thought long and hard about letting that hat go. I have another green velour of the same shade and couldn’t justify both. I know it’s found a good home and I hope you get lots of use from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. Chepstow

Chepstow I'll Lock Up

Congrats Garrett to this beautiful find!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Steve1857 and Garrett like this.
  12. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

What a fantastic Mayser, Garret. Beautiful blue colour.

Garrett likes this.
  13. steur

steur

Garrett likes this.
  14. steur

steur

Thank you, gentlemen. It will find a good home in Denmark, coming in second as the happiest country in the world (don't know any loungers in Finland, so it was the happiest option for it:)). The Netherlands come in fifth and we're happy with that, thank you.

15. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

After bagging your Mayser Boater, Stefan, the happiness rate just went up considerably in Denmark. So much so, I think we're in first place again [emoji4]

steur, Chepstow and drmaxtejeda like this.
  16. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Garrett, Great to see it arrived safely. Thank you for taking the detailed photos. It's a real treasure!

Chepstow, Garrett and Steve1857 like this.
  17. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

So, after my disappointment about it being far too small for me, here's the Wegener Bowler in it's rightful place.

I originally thought, after seeing the photos of the liner, that it was a ca.1930s hat. After receiving it, and feeling its quality, I thought post WWII.

Steve (Meyser/Wegener) thinks otherwise and who am I to doubt his expert knowledge.

I thought the liner was glued, ergo after 1950s. After Steve's comments, I checked again. The liner is in fact loose, only held in place by the three pieces of square tape seen in the photo.

The thing that threw me was the thinness of the felt. You could push crown and side dents in this one. Not what I'd expect from a ca. 1930s bowler, and definitely not what I can do to the two 1920s/1930s Bowlers I have in my collection. Btw, it's definitely not a Homburg.

On closer thought, is this a reflection of the recession that hit Germany post 1920s?

Steve, I'd by most glad to hear your expert comments.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Steve, Thank you for posting! As I mentioned later JHS Stiff Felts and had Soft Felt tendencies by design. Stiff Felts were losing major ground (too heavy, too stiff, dent damage, ect) to Soft Felts. Later JHS Stiff Felts tend to crack less but even your hat has some damage from dents.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Chepstow and Steve1857 like this.
  19. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Thanks for the reply, Steve. Great to learn something new. Funnily enough I've just picked up another pre 1940s Bowler and if anything, it's thinner than the Hückel. I'll post it in the other thread about the Hückel as it's not a German or Austrian hat.

20. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

It arrived yesterday safe and sound thanks to Stefan. Thought I'd just post some photos here to show how it looks on.

I bought a couple of really nice Hückels too as part of the same deal. Will post those later.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]