German & Austrian Hutmachers

Discussion in 'Hats' started by mayserwegener, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Mean Eyed Matt

Mean Eyed Matt Practically Family

Steve, your collection is really great and so is your memory:
    unlike me, you can also remember the stuff
    - the many you have and have also shown here!

In a free minute I will take the time to browse through your site.

2. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

[​IMG]

I just noticed that the lowest quality of the three "Standard" has a "E" designation for Velour. This might have been a carry over from earlier.

By the way I have a good number of similar documents. I will try to get them posted over the next couple months.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  3. PanosChris

PanosChris Practically Family

Phenomenal gets Matt!!!

Mean Eyed Matt and Steve1857 like this.
  4. steur

steur

Went for a bit of shopping this week and actually found two nice hats, even though the vintage hat season hasn't started yet. First one.
    Wegener Super homburg in a mid to dark grey. Colour is called "glatz" on the label. Size 59 with the bound brim at 6cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. These "Super" designated Wegener hats have a lovely hand to the felt, but are a bit "springy", that is they tend to spring back to their form and are not easily persuaded to take just any form. The felt is quite thin, although the hat isn't that lightweight at 137 grams. Always happy to find a larger sized hat in another colour than black.
    wegener glatz_01.jpg wegener glatz_02.jpg wegener glatz_03.jpg wegener glatz_04.jpg wegener glatz_05.jpg wegener glatz_06.jpg wegener glatz_07.jpg wegener glatz_08.jpg wegener glatz_09.jpg wegener glatz_11.jpg

5. steur

steur

And number two.
    Mayser Libelle in a size 56. Bound brim at 6,5cm and the crown sits at 11cm at the center dent. The way the flange is shaped I'm guessing this was meant to be worn brim up or in the "camber" style it has now. When Steve @mayserwegener posted his "Libelle" labelled Mayser hats last week I could not recall having ever seen it (that or I just have poor memory), so I was quite surprised to find this one. Libelle may refer to the weight of the hat even though it's not extremely lightweight at 105 grams.

mayser libelle_01.jpg mayser libelle_02.jpg mayser libelle_03.jpg mayser libelle_04.jpg mayser libelle_05.jpg mayser libelle_06.jpg mayser libelle_07.jpg mayser libelle_08.jpg mayser libelle_09.jpg mayser libelle_10.jpg

6. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Stefan, Great looking Homburg! The color is especially nice. Wegener's were definitely well built.

steur likes this.
  7. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Stefan, Super find! Yours is somewhat similar to my other "Libelle / Dragon Fly" but its Form feels more Snap Brim + Bow to me (my other one feels more Camber although I snapped the Brim).

[​IMG]

https://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/topic/3-mayser-hutfabrik/?do=findComment&comment=1286

8. steur

steur

Thank you, Steve. Wegener hats of this make are a no-brainer to bring along.
    As for the Mayser: it could well be they made these Libelle hats in several shapes. I kind of like this other shape as it's a bit of a change of pace for me.

mayserwegener likes this.
  9. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

St. Veit (Sankt Veit), 58 cm, Wool Felt, possibly early 1930s. There isn't a company mark but the paper label has a Sheep with a St. Veit Banner. Sankt Veit an der Glan Schafrasse is a small town in the South East corner of Austria and I couldn't find any Felt Hat production in the town. My guess is this is the source of the Wool used for the Felt. The Stiff Felt Hat was sold by a shop (Ludovikus Hagens Wwe) in a small town (Lustenau, Vorarlberg) in the upper North West corner of Austria. The Wool Felt has a nice finish and is in very good condition. The Stiff Felt has great looking Silver Gray Liner with a sharp looking Bow design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ludovikus Hagens Wwe (Wwe = Widow of)

[​IMG]

Handwriting on the Sweatband which I will have to take a closer look at.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sheep With St. Veit (Sankt Veit an der Glan Schafrasse) Banner

[​IMG]

Natural Light

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ludovikus Hagens Wwe (Lustenau, Vorarlberg) was located in the front of this house. Photo from 1908.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ludwig "Ludovikus" Hagen passed away in 1929.

[​IMG]

Ludwig "Ludovikus" Hagen wife 1. Sophie (Wwe, Widow) was owner of the shop when the Stiff Felt was sold.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  10. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Super find, Steve. Looks in near NOS condition. Thanks for sharing the history and photos, too.

PanosChris likes this.
  11. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Steve, Thank you! The Sweatband is stained but other than that it's in very good condition especially the Wool Felt. I became interested when I saw the shop location so I made some inquiries and I ended up contacting one of the family members. The shop location moved post WWII and is still in business today (not owned by the family) but no longer selling hats.

12. steur

steur

Missed this posting in this thread, but nice find and wonderful backstory, Steve.

13. steur

steur

Close to a month and no German or Austrian hats? Unthinkable. As luck would have it...
    Mayser Modena Primus in lightbrown/beige colour. A later make of Mayser, probably seventies, and not their very best but an attractive every day quality hat. Size 56, with the raw edge brim at 7cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. Nice hand to the felt. The crown is noticeably softer than the brim. Weighs 124 grams.
    mayser modena_01.jpg mayser modena_02.jpg mayser modena_03.jpg mayser modena_04.jpg mayser modena_05.jpg mayser modena_06.jpg mayser modena_07.jpg mayser modena_08.jpg mayser modena_09.jpg mayser modena_10.jpg

14. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Stefan, Thank you! I enjoy finding such backstories.

PanosChris, Steve1857 and steur like this.
  15. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Stefan, Yes it's been a while. I have a couple hats on the way. One is lost somewhere in Virginia. Nice to see this later Mayser "Modena Primus". I really like the color combination.

Steve1857 and steur like this.
  16. steur

steur

Thanks, Steve. I usually look for the more vintage ones, but on this one the colours appealing and the price was right.

mayserwegener and Steve1857 like this.
  17. Wyldkarma

Wyldkarma One Too Many

A. Breiter Munich. 20211016_093746.jpg 20211016_093822.jpg 20211016_093753.jpg 20211016_093308.jpg 20211016_093354.jpg 20211016_093402.jpg 20211016_094632.jpg

18. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

19. steur

steur