German flag WWII ??

Discussion in 'WWII' started by Phantomfixer, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Phantomfixer

Phantomfixer Practically Family

Not sure if this a WWII German flag or not....anyone seen anything like it? if neo nazi please advise /remove
    IMG_0017.JPG

I think it looks like a moose...

IMG_0018.JPG

2. Phhhpt

Phhhpt New in Town

Phantomfixer - maybe it's me but this looks like a modified Jolly-Roger (silhouette). If you were to flip your second photo upside down, you have the crossed bones at the bottom and a stylized skull on top (big forehead, narrow chin). I believe that Jolly-Rogers were in use during WWII, but I'm not recognizing where this might be from. That's just my take on it...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  3. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

It could be some form of early German SS.

4. Otter

Otter One Too Many

My gut feeling is that this is some kind of guidon or maybe a squadron pennant. Any provenance for this ? Commonly used in naval images, but also used extensively by the Prussian army. How cool would it be if it was from a U-Boat or S-Boat Squadron.

5. Otter

Otter One Too Many

Just a sudden thought, could it be some type of mine warning flag ?

6. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

Unfortunately, it more than likely isn't from a U-boat. Individual U-boat , flotilla, and tonnage victory pennants were triangular.

Could it be some kind of staff car guidon for an officer(s) commanding a particular unit? The colours obviously shout Third Reich. Maybe pre-war as well?

7. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Never seen before. Must be a joke, I think.

8. Fastuni

Fastuni Call Me a Cab

I also don't think this is any sort of official Third Reich item...
    could be from some youth gang (1930's to 60's?) or for post-war theatrical purposes (to avoid using the swastika or sig-runes or for a fictionalized dictatorship).

The obvious question: what's the provenance - where did you get this?

9. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

Nazi moose.....now I'm thinking of A&F.

10. Phantomfixer

Thanks all...to me it looks like a moose...but I am sure it was meant to be a skull and cross bones...flag was found in a vet clean out with his WWII uniforms and WWII medals... no unit identification...standard WWII types medals and ribbons...and most likely not a flag but a banner or pennant,,,has three tie strings along the top, so when suspened the skull would be at 45 degress in top left corner..weird..dual sided..

Thanks for the help all...

11. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

12. ingineer

ingineer One Too Many

I think this is the correct answer: Minen, Actung

13. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

There you go, Nazi Moose Aliens, coming to the History Channel next year! :D

14. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

I'd watch that!

15. Stand By

Stand By One Too Many

16. Phantomfixer

several had thought maybe a mine field flag...but usually the colors are not red black and white...mine seems to be made with decent materials but lacks detail in the skull and crossbones...dunno...as I have found no suitable matches...could be something made up years ago and not German at all...

Thanks for looking and researching this item folks...it is going back in the locker...

17. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

There was a thriving counterfeit operations going on in all the branches, to pawn off fake war souvenirs to other GIs!

18. Edward

Edward Bartender

There was some discussion of this a while back, sparked by a debate about whether a metal panel was really part of a German warplane or not. I find it a fascinating subject - to my mind, such period-fakes have a genuine historical value all of their own. There's probably a fascinating history phd thesis to be written about the 'war souvenirs' market c1940-1949.

19. Otter

Otter One Too Many

I thought we had reached a consensus on this : " Beware; Nazi anti Alien Moose Mines " ?

20. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

For real. It was on the history channel with that guy.