Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Get Smart, the movie

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Looked for a thread on this, but didn't find one, so sorry Bartenders if its already out there:

Steve Carrell as Maxwell Smart and Ann Hathaway as Agent 99....

personally I think Carrell will be great at Smart, but I'm still on the fence about Hathaway as 99....

I really loved the show, and now I can't wait to see what they do with the movie...

any thoughts?

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
While I agree, I don't really see it as recreating the series in the movie.... more like an homage to it-- and thats why I think Carrell is really the only one I could see in the role.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
What planet have I been on, I hadn't realized Don Adams passed away.
Well, Carrell just may surprise us all. I'm not a big fan of remakes on a role that already rocked, but I was impressed (sometimes I am easily impressed) with Christopher Lloyds performance on My Fav Martian, and at least they had the original martian in the movie. That is always a plus for me.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Don Adams said that he based his clipped manner of speaking on William Powell and more specifically "Nick Charles." I found that interesting.

I wouldn't have high hopes for this, despite the abundant talents of Mr. Carrell.

Feraud

Bartender
I enjoyed Get Smart. Whether it be mishaps with the "cone of silence", the futuristic shoe phone, or constantly frustrating the Chief.
The show had a great opening sequence!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I think it will probably be a Fun Movie.

You see...there are Fun Movies...and there are Expectations of GoodFilm Movies......

Fun movies are those you can sit back, suspend disbelief in how things are inaccurate etc....and just -enjoy-.

The other type....well those are the ones that too much hot air is spent on discussing and analysing them to death.

I am a heathen...I prefer Fun Movies.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I recall reading this was in the works. Didnt know AnnAHthaway was involved, but she should do well, especialy as Agent99 will be updated & more in charge.
get-smart-large.jpg

theres a USAToday article on th movie
here

snip:
The film updates the relationship between the two heroes, telling an origin story of how Smart became an agent and met 99. In this version, she is the veteran spy who takes the newcomer under her wing.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
If I remember correctly in the show, there was a sort of chemestry between smart and 99.
If they have this in the movie, thats gonna be something of an age difference, specially if she is the veterain spy.
Then again, Sean Connery still gets all the young ladies.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Strange said:
Excuse my bluntness, but like virtually all movies spawned from old TV shows, this will probably end up utterly worthless and disappointing!

Bluntness welcome!

Steve Carrell is a funny guy, but Get Smart was a spoof of the secret agent movies of the 60s and it just ain't the 60s anymore.

Remember this one:Leave it to Beaver (1997) No? Well, make room in that file for Get Smart (2007).

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Because of Carrell, I have more hope that this will be better than most TV show remakes (Sgt Bilko, McHale's Navy, anyone? :mad:).

As for Don Adams, of course, he will always be THE Agent 86 but I'm sure very, very few young people (the majority of the movie-going public) even remember him. I read that TV Land or Nick-at-Night tried airing GET SMART reruns a bunch years ago and it was the worst rated show in the network's history. It hasn't been seen on cable since and only this year came out on DVD (which can only be purchased through Time-Life and not in stores yet).

Would you believe...?

Actually, Mr. Sheridan, I'd argue McHale's Navy was more like a sequel than a remake:

1. McHale refers to "Cobra" (Ernest Borgnine, original McHale) as "Dad", which says "Cobra" is a McHale.
2. "Cobra" says something at the end about "my old boat". PT-73 was the boat in the series IIRC.

Still coulda been done better though...

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
I think it will probably be a Fun Movie.

You see...there are Fun Movies...and there are Expectations of GoodFilm Movies......

Fun movies are those you can sit back, suspend disbelief in how things are inaccurate etc....and just -enjoy-.

The other type....well those are the ones that too much hot air is spent on discussing and analysing them to death.

I am a heathen...I prefer Fun Movies.

I agree, Miss Neecerie. Heathens Unite!! :p

Lee

Rafter

Suspended
Brian Sheridan said:
I read that TV Land or Nick-at-Night tried airing GET SMART reruns a bunch years ago and it was the worst rated show in the network's history. It hasn't been seen on cable since. Would you believe...?
I guess I'm one of very few that watched the Nick-At-Nite reruns.

I'm a big fan of Mel Brooks and the 007 flics,... and enjoyed watching this show since it was created by Mel Brooks at the height of the James Bond craze.
I also remember Don Adam's clipped, through-the-nose delivery of Get Smart's twin catchphrases: "Sorry about that, Chief" or "Would you believe ...? ,"!

In my mind no one can ever take the place of Don Adam's as the self-deluded secret agent Maxwell Smart, not even Steve Carrell....and Ann Hathaway as Agent 99, no way. She doesn't have the sensuality of Barbara Feldon.
The remake is bound to be a pale imtitation of the original...and will probably suffer the fate of most remakes, bomb at the box office.

maxhogan

New in Town
Boy, this thread brings back memories! I loved Get Smart, and it was funnier as I got older. I wish someone would bring it back now. 999 channels and no Don Adams anywhere! What a waste.
I don't hold out much hope for the movie either. No one seems to "get" the humour of these old classics.:)

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Time-Life is selling the first season DVDs of GET SMART but online only. You can also buy all 8 seasons but I think once the show became more a bumbling family comedy (moved to CBS; 86 & 99 married; had a baby) the show had jumped the shark.

Won't be in stores until either later this year or early next year.

And while most TV show inspired movies have been awful but a few, like THE FUGITIVE, have succeeded. I'm hoping for a good GET SMART - but you are right - the odds are that it will be a pale copy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points