Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting cat wee out of leather

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Hoping someone can help.

Our family moggie decided to empty Her bladder onto my leather briefcase. The leather is a waxed/oiled hide an I would imagine it has soaked the wee up good and proper.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I might fix this issue. I've tried airing it out but it still stinks.

Regards

Garry

Wow! Cat urine has proteins in it that can kill leather. You can try a mixture 3% hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and liquid soap. 3 Tbsp peroxide to 1 Tbsp baking soda and a few drops of liquid soap. I've had ok results with this, dealing with other stains on finished leather, don't know about cat wee. After cleaning, rinse with a clean rag and clear water, condition after drying.

Benproof

A-List Customer
I just use antiseptic disinfectant spray several times when mine does that.

I've not had any problems yet with leather cracking or anything. The waxed leather will hold off the acidic urine if you can get it off quickly. Otherwise, the baking soda neutralisation is a good idea with soap.

robrinay

One Too Many
I used 'white' - colourless, Vinegar on a couple of cat pee canvas suitcases - sprayed it on left it an hour or so then flushed it away with a fresh water using a hose. I also used vinegar then bicarbonate on the pit smell of an A2 but had to use detergent afterwards to completely remove this smell A longer soak might damage the leather. The vinegar then water completely removed the stink of cat pee from the suitcases.

Last edited:

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Thanks for the advice folks. I will give Robinay's suggestion a go, I would rather a bag smelling of vinegar than cat wazz.

Rick, surprised that you seem to know the standard of living my cat has. Stay out my house or I'll call the Jacks on ye.....!

robrinay

One Too Many
Usually cats spray to mark their territory - Toms and neutered Toms mostly but dominant females will also spray. Territory can include people too!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I recommend a mix of rubbing alcohol, a little fine builder's sand, some tee tree oil and industrial strength strychnine. Now give it to the cat.

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Whatever you go with, make sure the thing is either completely free of stain and smell or removed from the cat's reach, as once they've marked something they tend to go back again and again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112