Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting Lift to your 40s hair

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Okay gals, I was at my hairdressers yesterday. I inquired if he knew of the best way to get vintage styles to work. He gave me this long foam thing to wrap my hair around to get the lift called a foam foundation ratt. Do any of y'all use this and if not what do you do/use?

He also told me that during the war when money was tight, his mom told him that they would use old panty hose by wadding them up and wrapping their hair around the hose. I found that very interesting.

Anyone know of any good websites to show how to get 40's hair?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
here's great pics of vintage hairstyles by era:
http://www.lphouse.com/

and here's a bit of instruction. I have yet to master it, myself, but I'm practicing!
http://www.nocturne.com/swing/hair/hair.html

http://www.forevervintage.com/hair.html

and livejournal has a vintage hairstyles group, so you may look at their previous posts to check out pics for ideas.
http://www.livejournal.com/community/vintage_hair/

ooh, foam rats are fun. that's what's in my pompadour in my icon. just make sure you cover it all with your hair, and use lots of hairspray and pins to keep it in place!

I found that little bitty foam rollers with setting lotion works well for curls on hair that hates to curl. I leave them in for preferably 12 hours at least and blowdry the heck out of them to get them to dry. I even invested in one of those granny inflatable head cover things that hooks up to your blow dryer. I'm sure I look like something from Mars Attacks when I have it on!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
My beauty school teacher was an older guy who worked in shops back then. He insisted that we learn the old styles. Most of them are too hard to do on myself, but I practice on a maniquin. We didn't use rats too much as it was easier to get the look by teasing. The teased style also lasted longer. Most of the older ladies that came to the school got their hair done once a week, so the style had to last that long. Also, I think rolls weren't nearly as popular as they are with retro fans today. If you look at old fashion magazines and movies, most ladies are wearing styles made from fingerwaves and pincurls. These are really hard to do on oneself, which is why retro fans don't wear them much. Unless I'm going dancing, I don't do a real retro style. I just use haircombs to give the impression of a retro style. If you twist the side front section, then push it slightly forward before inserting the comb, it gives the allusion of a roll. I also like the foam rollers. They/re much easier to sleep on than pincurl pins.
Andrea

Lauren

I was actually considering going to one of these "granny" salons and getting me to do up my hair in a vintage style just for kicks, but I think I couldn't last not washing my hair for a whole week! Do you know if they wore the same hairstyle all week after they went to the dresser's? Cause that would be a whole lotta time primping if that were not the case!

I agree that rats can be a bit of a pain. The whole time I'm wearing them I'm worrying about the foam showing! I really like the idea of clips too! I may have to invest in some of those...

I do the itty bitty foam rollers in the front and brush them out halfway after they have dried cause they get nice and poofy, then turn them under, but I have never been much good at doing my hair. Oh wait! I just remembered I have a pic on my Livejournal of one a did a few weeks ago. Here ya go:
11.02.04.gif

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Your hair looks great! Yes, they did wear the same style all week. They generally sleep semi-upright with a silk scarf around their hair and just run a pick through it each morning to lift it. By the time they came in the next week, it would be so caked with hairspray from touching up each day that I would have to shampoo and rinse 2-3 times before it all came out. I'll try to get some pics of my hair in the combs. It's that way in my avatar pic, but I think the hat covers it. I don't think I'd recommend a granny salon. Most of the "granny" clients want 50's styles, which wouldn't look right with WWII clothes. It would pass with a New Look outfit, though. I can't wait until my new dress is finished so I can do that.

The Bingstress

Familiar Face
Those links are fantastic!! I was already familiar with the tips on Nocturne.com (love the vintage salon photos), but I'd never heard of lphouse.com. That hairstyle timeline is really interesting, not to mention super-fun.

Regarding the foam rats, one thing they're very useful for is if you have long hair and want to do an elegant roll at the nape of your neck without using a snood. You can just comb your hair out straight, roll it either over or under the rat, and then use a gajillion pins and shelack it with hairspray to hold the roll in place. (I highly recommend Aqua Net Extra Super Hold. I used it in the '80s for my very tall, punked out 'dos, and today I find it's great to keep a complicated '40s style in place.)

I would be curious to learn the answer to kamikat's question about whether women actually wore the same hairstyle all week between trips to the hairdresser. I can see this with the shorter, tighter pincurl and fingerwave styles of the '20s and '30s--maybe they just used a lot of clips at night to hold the shape and slept with a scarf around their head. But what about the rolls of the 1940s, or the bouffant 'dos from the '60s? I can't imagine trying to recreate that look every morning but also can't fathom how one would sleep at night without flattening the hair out so much that it loses all its shape. Anyone care to chime in here?

Hugs & blessings,
The Bingstress

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
The thing to remember is that the blowdryer didn't come on the retail market until the late 60's. If you washed your hair, you either set it at home and slept overnight in your pincurls or rollers or you went to the shop and sat under a bonnet dryer for at least 30 minutes. Your hair and scalp adapts. The less you wash, the less oil your scalp produces. Another thing to keep in mind is hats. Hats protect your hair from dust and dirt which would help keep it clean.
kamikat

Lauren

wow! I am so happy that vintage hairstyles are a choice! I can't imagine washing my hair out 2-3 times to get all the gunk out!

And thanks so much, Bingstress, for the tip on the nape of the neck roll with the ratt. I always wondered how they did that! My hair is longer too, so it is such a pain to make it look shorter, like the hairstyles they had back then.

Ooh, and as far as the 60's, I know my grandma sleeps in a sleeping cap, then uses a pick and LOTS of Aqua Net to hold it in place. I think that it would be hard not to get the curls to flatten out on the back when you sleep, unless you used a pillow like they did in ancient egypt!

c958_headrest.jpg

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
Hey great info girls. I love doing my hair, though it can be hard. Ive only just recently cut a short fringe, but I can still get it up into my beloved pompadour (admitedly, a small one) another thing I have read, is that ladies kept the hair that collects in your hairbrush and matted it together or filled a stocking to make a ratt. This would get rid of the problem of seeing the foam.

I also have this great book called "1940s Hairstyles" by Daniela Turudich published by Streamline Press. They also have hair and makeup books from 1900s to the 1950s

LaMedicine

One Too Many
For the 60's do, I can tell you for sure that women had curlers in their hair every night, many slept in them, then brushed the hair out and teased them up every morning, because I was there.
Pretty uncomfortable, to be truthful....

I remember begging for a hairdryer with that b-i-i-i-g blow-out bonnet for Christmas, as soon as I felt I was old enough for it...

If you ever watch those girlie movies from the 60s, you're sure to see at least one scene with the girls in large hair curlers and sometimes scarves around their head.
With french rolls, I remember that there was a long curler that you could wind your hair onto and pin it up to hold it in shape.

Truth be told, if you ever really tried to relive these days, you'll be happy that it's much easier to keep your hair anyway you like these days, and sleep comfortably at night.

If your hair is fairly manageable, I think you might be able to get a nice effect with some hair spray and hot curlers, those pre-warmed curlers.

Good luck in your adventure, girls.

P.S. I'm going to download some of the pics I like from the sites y'all have listed, and let my hairdresser figure out how to do themLOL

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
I just went out on my lunch break (im at work) and was looking in the local $2 shop (sells lots of cheap junky bits & pieces) and I found a snood for $4!!!!! Im so excited, the bag bit is black mesh net and it has a big black satin bow.

Another sterling lunch break find!!!

:clap

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Well, I tried pin curls last night...they don't quite look like the ones on one of Lauren's links (I used about 50 bobby pins), but here is what I was able to do (not quite the artwork I had hoped for)....
pincurls3.jpg

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
Hi ITG

From experience, the only thing I would recommend with your pin curls would be to use less hair in each one and try to get the "curl" pinned firmer and closer to your head, also trying to keep each one uniform. Lots of little tight curls in a row when brushed out gently form one large curl or wave.

It really does take practice, but is well worth it as they are probably the most comfortable to sleep in. and when you get the hang of it, you will whip them up really quickly.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
And the next morning, I took out all those Bobby pins and waa-la! I was happy with the result (My biggest fear was that I wouldn't have curl and would have to frantically wash my hair that morning before work and hope to get it dried and styled to make there on time.) One of my students asked if I had a big date tonight because my hair was all pretty (I got quite a few compliments from my students, which felt good). The curl stayed throughout most of the day, which is amazing with my thick head of hair. Here is the result (not quite 1940s but I enjoyed having a different look):

pincurls1.jpg

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Originally posted by Scarlet Belle
Hi ITG

From experience, the only thing I would recommend with your pin curls would be to use less hair in each one and try to get the "curl" pinned firmer and closer to your head, also trying to keep each one uniform. Lots of little tight curls in a row when brushed out gently form one large curl or wave.

It really does take practice, but is well worth it as they are probably the most comfortable to sleep in. and when you get the hang of it, you will whip them up really quickly.
Yes, that will take much practice. It's quite difficult to do on one's own hair. Do I hear the words...vintage style wig. just joking...I'm not quite that lazy. Yet.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Bobby pins don't keep the curls tight enough to the head for a tight curl. The best thing to use is little clips that are used to hold rigid, plastic rollers. Try looking in a beauty supply store like Sally's. To get a soft 40's look, use a boar bristle or other soft bristle brush and really brush through the curls. The look was soft wave, not individual curl that is favored today.
Andrea

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Your hair looks great! Your overall look is very authentic. That picture makes me regret that I let my stylist cut my bangs/fringe after not cutting them for nearly 6 months. The rolls just don't look the same with bangs.
kamikat

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points