GFL - Guitar Friends Lounge

Discussion in 'Skills and Smarts' started by Trenchfriend, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend

He tests it and this is exactly, how she sounds!

2. That Godin is a nice looking guitar. I have two Seagull acoustics, which are made by Godin, and they are one of the best values in guitars going today. They have particularly wide necks, which suit me fine because my...ahem...hands are not particularly small and the space between strings is nice. Excellent guitars in both contruction and sound, and they are very affordable.

As for getting theory down...I know some, and can sorta kinda read sheet music, but it's not necessary at all to enjoy playing the guitar, particuarly popular rock and/or blues. When you get into improvisation and it becomes jazz, it's probably a little more helpful, but even then training your ear to what sounds good is probably more important. That's my opinion anyway. What's important is that you play! I have a beautiful Paul Reed Smith Custom 24, and I tell people that no matter how good it looks, it's still just me playing it, it doesn't play itself. Which is a shame.

Tark likes this.
  3. I've never been one to get worked up about picks, whatever I can find will almost always work. Some of the great players use all sorts of things. Ed King from Lynyrd Skynyrd used bits of broken sea shells he'd find on the beach. Had a whole bucket full of them that he chipped into a pick shape.

All of that said...I mostly use Dunlop "Max Grip" nylon picks at .73. They are a good one for both electric and acoustic. I have dozens laying all over the house, when they don't get chewed up by the dog or stuck in the vaccuum cleaner.

Rmccamey and Edward like this.
  4. Edward

Edward Bartender

I usually have a couple in my pocket or in my coin purse. Sad as it is to admit, there's a tiny part of me feels a little bit more rock and roll for having them there among my pocket detritus.

Seashells is an interesting one, I wonder if those had something of the feel of the original, tortoiseshell pics that would, of course, not have been an option by the time Skynyrd were a going concern?

Trenchfriend likes this.
  5. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend

Just came back from next big citiy's central music store!
    I was sick of these standard-like "22 Jumbo Frets", which came with my ESP. Too uncomfortable for my fingers. I always thought, there must be a better way!

And don't the experts always say, waste the crap-strings of your new guitar immediately and put good one in??

So, I did internet recherche before and grabbed two packs of the super popular Ernie Ball 2223 (9-42) in the store and man, I'm looking forward! And I grabbed a 3-meter guitar cable, so that I can use my old electronic tuner.

Attached Files:

Rmccamey likes this.
  6. Your'e not alone there.

King said they just had a unique sound that he liked, and like many other players, wanted a pick as stiff as he could get it. He said the only drawback was that they chewed through strings like crazy. Of course, on the road you change your strings every day anyway, so that probably wasn't a big deal.

Edward likes this.
  7. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend

Aah, not bad! I grabbed the classic Vox Pathfinder 10 amp, today on a fine advertising price!

Looking forward to stick my ESP in, but waiting until after "Siesta" (13:00 - 15:00)! ;)

Rmccamey likes this.
  8. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend

Yeah, I like it!

PS:
    It stands on my couch, on the soft cover. :D

9. Rmccamey

Rmccamey My Mail is Forwarded Here

My most recent attempt to cure the incurable disease we alll know as GAS. OM Sitka over Walnut.

web-6191.jpg web-6281.jpg web-6210.jpg web-6296-1024x683.jpg
    20210819_174706.jpg

GaryJ and Trenchfriend like this.
  10. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend

Let's see, how the GHS Electrics Super Steels strings work!