Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghost and the Darkness movie boots

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Good evening gents. Well, the post title says most of what needs saying. I was/am a huge fan of that movie from 1996 and more so the story that inspired it. Colonel John Patterson was quite the adventurer. I had always thought the boots that Val Kilmer wore in that movie were quite the ticket and wondered if anyone knew exactly what they were and who might have made them? They look like a cross between a motorcycle policeman's boot and a riding boot. Here's a link to a photo of Mr. Kilmer wearing them. Sorry it's the closest shot I could find and it's B&W.
fcstil_0424.jpg.html

What do you think? I suspect they might be a bit tall for any sort of everyday use and I wear boots nearly every day. I like the lacing across the instep area. It just kind of accents the boots and gives them a very vintage look. I've seen the custom made Vogel riding boots but get ready to drop nearly 1G on a pair of those. Any other brands come to mind? I have a nicely worn out pair of "packer" style boots that are reminiscent in that they have laces but they go all the way up the shaft. They are also not nearly as tall. About 12" high. They also have more of a riding heel than the movie pair. Super comfortable if not a bit too hot in the summer months. Open shaft boots are much better in the summer heat! Anyroad, if someone can enlighten me a bit about this style of boot I would be more than happy to hear what you have to say.

Regards, Todd

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Thank you Story. Indeed, the lineage of the boots is apparent. Still, if you look closely at the publicity photos, the boots Mr. Kilmer is wearing have much less lacing height on the shaft. I also seem to recall that they did not have the lacing on the shaft sides as do the newer ones. Is this the style change you referenced? I am unsure about the cap toes as well. I will have to break out my DVD of the movie and look more closely at them. Again, thanks for the links. A very good starting point. Those Strathcona mountie boots are awesome.

Regards, Todd

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Thanks Mike. Sorry for the redundant posting. I just noticed the Strathcona boot thread as well. I just didn't have a name to start with. I figured they were a riding boot but now realise that they are more closely related to the military...where they were used for riding. :eek: :eek:

Anyroad, nice threads, even nicer pics of the boots, and a pair of those riding breeches may be in the cards as well.

Regards, Todd

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Hello Mike and Dan. Thank you so much for the replies. I scanned through
The Ghost and the Darkness again this weekend and checked out the boots pretty thoroughly. One thing I noticed straight away is that they are not Strathconas. At least not the current incarnation of the RCMP version anyway. They have the laced instep area but it is not nearly as tall as the Staths. They also had a three buckle array on the sides of the shafts for calf adjustment. Very much like the Patton model at motorcowboy. I did not notice the cap toes on the movie version so that is different yet again from the Patton. I strongly suspect that like many movie wardrobe pieces, they are one offs made to order for the set. It is of little matter. An exact copy is not unnecessary. Any number of commercial variants will work. The overall style is what I'm after. I have always been a fan of tall boots. I wear boots nearly every day. Never fear Mike. Gathering dust would not be an option! And yes, I am eccentric enough to wear the riding breeches. Even if I don't have a horse! Thanks again gentlemen.

Regards, Todd

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Yes, I could certainly do a pair like this. Since our boots and shoes are all made-to-order, they can usually be modified at no extra cost. Feel free to e-mail or PM me for details.

Kind regards,
Indy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner