Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghurka Leather

NonEntity

Suspended
I collect Ghurka leather and absolutley love it.

I did a search here and found a sprinkling of Ghurka references so thought I'd throw up a thread dedicated to what are, in my opinion, the best leather products in the universe. To date, I have eight pieces.

I have an engaging story of how I got my first piece, the Gear Bag No. 4, and am eager to tell it and discuss Ghurka ad nauseum, but will hold myself in check to see if there is any interest. In the meantime, if you like, you can check them out at www.ghurka.com.

Surgeon General's Warning: Ghurka leather is highly addicting and may cause severe financial setbacks.

NonEntity

Suspended
Yes, while it was once merely astronomical, Ghurka is now hideously expensive.

Bag & Baggage, which also goes by Roberto's in some markets, used to carry it, but no longer do. You can negotiate at retail stores like that (I could always talk them down 20- 25%), but not with Ghurka.com. I live far from any of Ghurka's own stores, so could only patronize them if I were there on business travel, and I'm not sure they'd "work with" me even if I were in town.

Maybe someone here knows who else carries Ghurka leather.

Feraud

Bartender
NonEntity said:
I have an engaging story of how I got my first piece, the Gear Bag No. 4, and am eager to tell it and discuss Ghurka ad nauseum, but will hold myself in check to see if there is any interest.

If you have a good story then tell it.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
NonEntity said:
I collect Ghurka leather and absolutley love it.

I did a search here and found a sprinkling of Ghurka references so thought I'd throw up a thread dedicated to what are, in my opinion, the best leather products in the universe. To date, I have eight pieces.

I have an engaging story of how I got my first piece, the Gear Bag No. 4, and am eager to tell it and discuss Ghurka ad nauseum, but will hold myself in check to see if there is any interest. In the meantime, if you like, you can check them out at www.ghurka.com.

Surgeon General's Warning: Ghurka leather is highly addicting and may cause severe financial setbacks.

Love the spelling mistake when they are trying to big note themselves. I wonder how much they are giving to the Ghurka Old Soldiers fund for using the name of the regiment for profit.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Ghurka has begun moving some of their production to the PRC, not a good thing. Were I to collect Ghurka I'd look for the pieces with the initials MH in the crest. These will have been made in their Connecticut workrooms pre-2003, before Marley Hodgson sold out.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Ghurka has begun moving some of their production to the PRC, not a good thing. Were I to collect Ghurka I'd look for the pieces with the initials MH in the crest. These will have been made in their Connecticut workrooms pre-2003, before Marley Hodgson sold out.

That's a really good thing to know. Thanks.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
cookie said:
Love the spelling mistake when they are trying to big note themselves. I wonder how much they are giving to the Ghurka Old Soldiers fund for using the name of the regiment for profit.

The Ghurka are an indigenous ethnic group from Nepal. There is no reason to associate the name specifically with the Ghurka regiments in the British or Indian armies.

Alan

NonEntity

Suspended
Quality Deteriorating?

Tomasso said:

I, too, am concerned about Ghurka's quality deteriorating after the holding company which also owns Marc Cross acquired them. There is no question about what happened to their prices after that: They went up, way up.

The new company also is pushing a more modern look and has introduced new lines to attract a different demographic of buyer. However, it still offers the Ghurka Original Collection in Chestnut Vintage Leather--what I collect--Vintage Twill, and Black Vintage Leather, but has dropped some of the Vintage products.

Since the buyout, I've only bought one piece, the Jotter, and it is as good as ever. It has the "MH" inside the logo, so may have been produced prior to the acquisition. Then again, it may have been made afterwards, and small items like it are not the best barometers of quality. Is anyone here certain that the "MH" has been dropped post-buyout?

I was living in Dallas and got most of my Ghurka from Roberto's on the bottom floor of the Galleria Mall. They later moved all the Ghurka upstairs to their sister store, Bag & Baggage, then marked it down. The manager there knew me and that I was a collector, and she called me to apprise me of the sale.

I went in to find they had a huge selection to choose from. I like the oldest designs, as they have a more masculine, "expedition" look, and there was the Express Bag No. 2 in Chestnut Vintage Leather. I had always wanted that piece, and combining the half-off sale with my "negotiated" 20% discount, it was only $440. Regularly $1095, that was an outstanding price.

Well, I talked myself out of it, reasoning that, unlike my other pieces--Gear Pack No. 4, Satchel No. 17, Writing Portfolio, Envelope Eyeglass Case, Pocket Address/Calendar, Small Manicure Set, and Double Photograph Case--I would rarely ever use such a bag. I was just being covetous, desiring something just for the sake of having it. So I walked out empty-handed.

A week went by, but I could not get that beautiful bag off my mind. Then the manager called me again, saying at those prices Ghurka was flying out the door, but that she still had one more Express Bag No. 2 in Chestnut Vintage Leather. She also said her last day there would be Friday, as she was going to join her boyfriend on the West Coast, and that her replacement would probably not be one to negotiate.

So, I decided to get the bag after all but didn't get into the store until that Friday. Wouldn't you know it--the bag had been sold! She showed me the same bag in Vintage Twill, just $320 with the sale and my discount, saying quite correctly that it was really nice, too, lighter in weight, and she'd make it an even $300. But I had my heart set on the all-leather one and walked out dejected.

And I have regretted both those decisions ever since. The all-leather bag, below, is now a heart-stopping $1595, the leather-trimmed twill a bracing $1195.

http://www.ghurka.com/browse/store_product.jsp?p=P1013&c=2&s=3&ss=-1&cat_viewed=Original

cookie

I'll Lock Up
NonEntity said:
And I have regretted both those decisions ever since. The all-leather bag, below, is now a heart-stopping $1595, the leather-trimmed twill a bracing $1195.

with things you really want that are not spur of the moment impulse buying I always go with my gut or regret it later...my .02

findingold

New in Town
Looking for info about ghurka No.3 overland bag

I have a ghurka No.3 overlander bag that I got at auction , but
I can't find any info about this item. Can somone help me ?:rolleyes:

Twill & leather trim
Reg. F186
No.3
That the info if you need more let me know

NonEntity

Suspended
I've been collecting Ghurka for nearly ten years now, and the No. 3 bag has not been sold during that time frame.

The item number on all Ghurka products is in the order that it was introduced. No. 1, and Marley Hodgson made only one of these, a book bag for his son, is in the Smithsonian. No. 2 is the Express, the bag I regret talking myself out of purchasing in the story above. No. 4 is the Gearpack, my first piece.

All these early-design pieces--up through about No. 20--have a rugged, "expedition" quality, even the No. 9 Runabout lady's handbag.

Most of these early designs have been phased out, and your No. 3 Overlander is one of them. I've never seen that bag, and would be simply delighted if you would post a photo or two of it here, and I am curious what your winning auction price was.

I have not found the new Ghurka company to be helpful at all in assisting customers to find out about items they no longer make. They want you to buy something they sell now. Nevertheless, take a stab at phoning or E-mailinging them. If you could bore through the "customer service" idiots to a craftsman who's been there a long time, I'm sure he'd be an information gold mine.

Writing Ghurka a letter might be a better route, though without a specific individual's name, it would probably just get opened by a customer lack-of-service representative. To reach someone with clout, consider concocting a story they'd love to publish in their marketing material, for example, how your beloved Overlander saved your life when you held it over you beneath a stampede of ten thousand thundering hooves of snarling jimson-weed-crazed wildebeasts on the scorching Ruwenzori Plain. That should get their attention, and then you let them use the testimonial in exchange for information--and any repairs or restoration--about your bag.

Ghurka
Egret Harbor
P.O. Box 524
Norwalk, CT 06854
800-587-1584
www.ghurka.com

aunum

New in Town
The Real Ghurka Story

You may be interested in the real Ghurka story, the real boots that started the Ghurka legend and how Marley Hodgson was inspired by the khaki twill and leather bag I showed him how to make to match my old military boots. Marley Hodgson always endeavored to produce quality leathergoods, and use quality leathers, workmanship, and hardware.

But people will pay a premium price for a good story, interesting name and mystique. :eusa_clap

You may read more about Ghurka on my website at www.anaunum.com plus see a rare photograph of Marley Hodgson in the early days. Marley Hodgson was an inspiring boss to design and work for with a wonderful sense of business. :)

Ghurka

Looks nice but WAY overpriced!!!! The wallets are nice but for leather? I bought a genuine alligator wallet from a guy in Florida(Wildgatorman) for 75.00.I have it owned now for 4 years,no wear at all.PS This guy also makes gator belts etc.and his prices are great.

pksurfish

New in Town
Orignal Marley Hodson Ghurka Bag #2

I was doing some net searches re: Ghurka leather and came across the enthusiastic postings about Ghurka in the Fedora Lounge. Should anyone have an interest, I have an early (1970's) Ghurka Bag #2, khaki twill and leather for sale right now on EBay. I am the original owner - not a retailer or in the business in any way. If you have an interest, take a look; it's posted there as "Original Marley Hodgson Ghurka Bag #2 'The Express' with a minimum bid price of $400.
Thanks much, and I hope that you don't find my posting here an intrusion.
pksurfish

sandysot

New in Town
Gurhka BackPack 1987 Model new old stock

Here is an opportunity for a few quick acting members of the forum to get an original 1987 Marley Hodgson Ghurka Back Pack. No hype- these are twenty five years old and never been used. Dont know how many there are for sale, so be quick.

These are advertised as original Made in America Ghurka backpacks,created in the Connecticut workshop by Marley before he sold the business and the new owners began production in China.

I found this arcane website that has a few for sale. Check it out. If you are quick you may get the last one. I'm not competing-because I just got a used MH Ghurka Express No 2 on fleabay so don't need the backpack.

For the price these are super collectible and a good value..

http://shop.susansstoreroom.com/product/ghurka-backpack

good Luck

Sandy

sandysot

New in Town
Chainsaw said:
Come on! Those Pakistanis are good at that stuff. Cheers.

Ghurka Rucksacks Sold out in two weeks on Susan's site. Hope some of the forum got in on the deal.Check out the latest Ebay Ghurka Rucksacks-Triple the price Susan was asking.

Id bet some enterprising reseller got them all and is re offering them.

Must be really good Pakistani stuff.lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider