Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Richard, May 16, 2005.

1. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Familiar Face

What a great collection! Hard to tell their exact shapes, but I think I see one of the so-called Colonial Pattern helmets, a Wolseley, a WWII Bombay Bowler (made famous by Sir Winston) and others I don't know.

2. Doctor Jones

In any case, my badged helmet and decorated tunic are based on this fellow's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

M Hatman, steur and johnnycanuck like this.
  3. fireman

fireman One of the Regulars

Nice! i have not watched that movie in many years. We should probably watch it with the kids/grandkids.

4. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

You will have to forgive me. I don’t know this reference.
    Johnny

5. Boomerang

Boomerang One of the Regulars

I'm guessing Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

6. Doctor Jones

Yes! I do wonder how many songs in musicals are sung while wearing a pith helmet...or an entire Boer War uniform, for that matter.

M Hatman, johnnycanuck and Boomerang like this.
  7. Ticklishchap

Ticklishchap One Too Many

Off-topic, I admit, but which of the Southern African languages is most accessible (I know they’re all ‘difficult’) for an English speaker to learn? I presume that it is Zulu rather than Xhosa?

8. Robert Heyer

Robert Heyer New in Town

English is spoken everywhere. Zulu or Xhosa are both in use, but not necessary for most travel. I speak English and Swahili and have never had a communication issue.

M Hatman and Ticklishchap like this.
  9. Ticklishchap

Ticklishchap One Too Many

I am thinking of my next linguistic challenge! During the lockdown I have been working through a Teach Yourself Malay course.
    In my part of London we have a large and growing West African population and so I often hear Yoruba and Akan. There are also a few Lingala speakers from both Congo republics.
    This reminds me of something: the photo of your study made me think of the Royal Museum of Central Africa at Tervuren, just outside Brussels city limits. I haven’t been there since it was refurbished; it was still very much a ‘colonial museum’ on my visit several years ago.

10. johnnycanuck

45ADF746-B63D-4319-B979-0D0ACC06F725.jpeg This is the reason all my hats look as good as they do. Mowing lawn for 4.5 hours and Sweat straight thru a pith helmet...?!? Oh my.
    Stay safe everyone
    Johnny

11. David Conwill

David Conwill Call Me a Cab

Better get some electrolytes!

M Hatman likes this.
  12. johnnycanuck

Yard work and working on my truck. Gave the French a rest and broke out my Indian with the missing sweat band. Replaced it with weather stripping pieces. Should make a new sweat band, a project for another day.
    B8C691EE-45C6-45A1-BD65-90BA1DB5A5C5.jpeg
    AE215A52-05AC-4C35-B8B5-9FD13B003DA2.jpeg
    late season this year. Sunflowers are usually taller by now.
    Johnny

13. Nyah

Nyah One of the Regulars

I'm looking to get my first pith helmet. For activity such as lawn mowing and bicycling in hot weather. Are there any currently produced that are made with traditional techniques/materials? I prefer a full brim, such as Indian or Vietnam styles, not the front/back-only British brim. I've seen some in web searches that have holes on the front. Are those a particular historical style or, just a modern convention? Seems the holes in front would only help, for my purposes.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  14. johnnycanuck

https://www.villagehatshop.com/category/84/1/pith-helmets.html
    this is where I got most of mine. For lawn mowing I use the French style as it has the widest brim. The Indian isn’t bad as it sits lower in the head. The Wolseley has a good wide brim as well and comes in two sizes as well. If you have a head size larger than 7 3/8 you need to go for the big head version. Hope this helps.
    Johnny

Ticklishchap and M Hatman like this.
  15. Nyah

Nyah One of the Regulars

That's very helpful, thank you! I see the Indian style in your photo posted previously. Looks like it provides even more helpful shade than just the brim width, probably due to some space between the sweatband/harness and where the brim actually starts (thus providing more shade than just the stated 2 1/4" width on the sides). Can you confirm though, if you have the standard Indian or, is yours actually the larger version? My hat size is between 7 1/8 and 7 1/4 so, I'm hoping that I will have some of this additional shade with the standard version.

16. johnnycanuck

If you go back to post 783 and thumb thru the picture/posts you can see some pictures from inside the hats. Short answer is yes there is a gap between the sweatband and the brim so it is a little larger then advertised. I wear a 7 1/2 hat so all mine are big head version but you should be fine with the regular size. As I say, look they the photos. French and Worseley have wider brims so slightly better protection. I get overheated so I find them good for hot sunny days. And when the breeze picks up and it goes over your sweaty head it feels fantastic.
    Hope that helps. Any more questions please feel free to ask.
    Johnny

Ticklishchap likes this.
  17. Robert Heyer

Robert Heyer New in Town

Got my new Bengal Pith Helmet from Tag Safari today!

Attached Files:

Ticklishchap and johnnycanuck like this.
  18. johnnycanuck

Nice! You will have to give us a review. Johnny

Robert Heyer likes this.
  19. redlinerobert

redlinerobert One of the Regulars

Agreed, would like your feedback on quality!

20. johnnycanuck

Given my under brim a fresh coat of green. Still need to seal it. Debating giving the Inner crown a coat of red. The tinfoil was a quick thought to keep the sweat from soaking thru the hat.
    E721E9DB-D399-4150-9909-FE795A0120FB.jpeg
    9CA7848D-33EE-4924-8CA5-B52ED2A856DF.jpeg
    Johnny

Ticklishchap likes this.