Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibson and Barnes Vintage Goatskin

stevieboy

New in Town
Does any one have any information or opinions on the Gibson and Barnes vintage goatskin A2? How does it compare to their Horse Hide Jackets? I am looking for jacket that will really wrinkle and crease with age. I would love to get a GW but the bank account and the wife are giving me the thumbs down.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Stevie,
I'm unsure of the "vintage" goatskin. I scanned the website and looked over the A-2's but didn't see any special designation for a different goatskin.

I have the Raider jacket in seal brown goatskin which has a fine pebble texture to it, and after about a year of my wearing it (I did buy it secondhand in like new condition), there is little evidence of my use except for some pilling of the knits. I love the jacket, and am not terribly concerned with a broken in look.
From what I've seen, horsehide tends to give the best looking wrinkles and "character" over time. At least there's my 2 cents.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
geebee

hi, the GB g-1 is incredible, classic cut and shape, as long as you don't get the civilian version

the GB milspec jackets run a tad big in their sizing, which doesn't mean they are baggy, just that what other milspec makers label a 46, gb labels a 44, from my experience about a year ago

as for the a-2, never saw one...the pictures i see on their website, or as of last year, were a very relaxed and NON-milspec looking, comfie fit pattern...but that's a pic on the net, so i don't know if the cut is as relaxed and post-war as it looks...one of my favorites is a simple uswings milspec a-2, it has a nice trim and milspec line to it...however, with uswings stuff, you may have to send it back a few times as they often have little defects, sewing, and at times a nick or cut in the leather

re leathers, goat does not wrinkle and crease with age if taken normal care of...it is hardy and very flexible and will look new or close to new for many years, or decades...if abused by throwing it into maytags or pounding it with grommet mallets (both of which i've read recommended her on fedlounge) it may get some sort of distressing, but not what i think you are thinking of if you have in mind nice old horse leather, or even really beat up steer leather...but for distressing and creases and aging, horse is the best

the best i can recommend is the cockpitusa flying tigers replica jacket...very trim milspec, old style, and great horse leather, authentic patches, natural death u.s. horse hides, and accurate replica cut and pattern from the forties...for $440 the best thing going...even at a higher price...best prices are usually here:

http://www.flyingtigerssurplus.com/shbg.php?id=2&shbgid=11352

a true replica but it doesn't have the tags done to match actual ww2 contract jackets, like GW, or perhaps the actual issue zipper from ww2 restock, which is nice if you can afford it, but if you can't, this one is the way to go, imho

Kid Mac

Practically Family
[I only saw johnnyjohnny's reply after I wrote this. He make an important point that goat will not wrinkle and crease like horse or even steerhide.]

I think stevieboy might be referring to G&B's vegetable-tanned goatskin which is an option for their historical A-2.

http://www.flightsuits.com/index.php?id=18&cat_id=18&prod_id=48

stevieboy, you can request hide samples from G&B. If you were referring to the veg-tanned goat the following is my experience (if not skip this). I had a sample of the veg-tanned goat. It was nice, a slightly browner russet than G&B's russet horsehide, which I found to be a bit orangy, smooth, and lacking much grain. From my experience, the drum-dyed horsehide has a thicker surface coating than the goatskin and, as a result, the grain is less visible. The veg-tanned goat has a nice grain pattern but recent veg-tanned goat jackets I've seen don't seem as grainy. When I had samples, I roughed them up to see what the leather would look like with wear. The veg-tanned goat revealed a natural leather color similar to original A-2s. The horsehide, both russet and mahogany, had a dark, blackish undercoat which would appear with wear. I don't know if this would be a concern for you.

I had a historic russet horsehide, but I returned it as I found it too heavy (heavier than my current Aero A-2). G&B does make a quality product in terms of stitching, etc. Their nylon knits do tend to pile as rmrdaddy noted; this is not as much a problem with their wool knits.

A final thought if you were thinking of a historical G&B; it is now more expensive than an Aero Real Deal. I think Aero's hides are superior. Aero will also send you samples if you ask.

Cheers,

Mac

stevieboy

New in Town
Thanks all for the information. I went on the Aero site and it looks like the Aero Real Deal will be the jacket for me.

Stevieboy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran