Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibson and Barnes

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Hi Jon, I recently received my G & B Navy G1 and was advised by G & B to size down. I'm usually a 44 chest and went for a 42. Fits perfectly in the shoulders but maybe a little roomy at the mid drift. Its not blousy (at least on me) and not something I would worry too much about. What model are you looking at?

Flashy

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
This question has pretty much been beat to death here...but here we go again! My G&B A-2, size 42R, is a near perfect fit for me in the shoulders, and perhaps just a tad more generous thru the waist. A size 40R also fits me fine. If you do a search, you can find my photos and actual jackets measurements right here on this forum.

P1010018.JPG image0.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
TXFlyGuy, those are the same pit to pit and shoulder measurements of my recently acquired 40T G&B Historic A-2 Model 41, with the exception of 2" added to the sleeves (27") and back (27"). I feel far more comfortable ordering G&B in N Texas than I would if I were in N Ireland.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
yep agree guys the shipping to here is a major consideration. But thanks for all the advice.

Another thing...G&B is one of the nicest jackets I have ever owned. I'm certain that you will like yours. I would call them to discuss size issues, even send them your measurements.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've had three by G&B but they are mass produced and lacking in character, even though I enjoy mine.
If you are after a 1950's classic style as you posted elsewhere you may be better off with something made for you by Johnson Leathers or Aero and Alexander's. Nothing wrong with G&B though depends on the look you are after.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Mass produced? Not really. My experience is that the jacket was made to order for me. Same with my friends B-3, made to order...just like Whataburger!

Not sure what character is, unless you are referring to some people. My jacket fits nicely, is very well made, looks good, and is warm. Many of my friends are characters...

thor

One Too Many
I've been to the Gibson & Barnes factory in San Diego. They have a showroom with many jackets pre-made in different sizes, styles and colors. You can look through a large window onto the floor of their workshop where the tailors are all working on producing jackets. If someone orders a jacket that they don't already have on hand, they will make it for you. They will also do some custom work (special sizes or jackets with optional details added). So in essence they do both mass-production of jackets (though it's NOT some sweatshop cranking out hundreds of cheaply made garments) as well as special custom orders (they provide the jackets for the US Navy Blue Angels as well as for Presidents, military VIP's and celebrities).
From what I've seen, it's really a great operation.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Not sure what character is, unless you are referring to some people. My jacket fits nicely, is very well made, looks good, and is warm. Many of my friends are characters...

I think character is pretty easy to see in regards to leather. I had a G&B jacket and it was very nice, but it was the standard chrome-tanned goatskin. Nice jacket, but not much character. It was just....brown. I had a Lost Worlds HH jacket. Spectacular workmanship, but the russet was just....russet. I picked up an Aero HH and the brown leather had much more variation and depth in color. I also picked up a Goodwear Ventura HH and the leather is just beautiful. Every time I wear it, a stranger comments on it. My G&B jacket was very well made and I expect it would last as long as Aero/GW, but the regular chrome-tanned leather isn't anything special from a character standpoint. I do know they offer a more expensive veg-tanned leather A-2 that appears to have plenty of character.

That being said, G&B makes a great jacket and I still scour eBay looking for a good deal on one!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Mass produced? Not really. My experience is that the jacket was made to order for me. Same with my friends B-3, made to order...just like Whataburger!

Sure you can get some modest custom mods from them; not the point. What I mean is that their catalog jackets are a fairly bland, commercial product. Generic hardware and lining, etc. That said, I love mine and have defended them here so don't panic. Like my Schott jackets, I have enjoyed wearing them as much, if not more than my hand made premium jackets by Aero or Johnsons. I've owned a couple of dozen jackets over 30 plus years; G&B are terrific jackets, I just wouldn't mistake them for a premium product. Goodwear they are not. Nothing for G&B fans to get all sensitive about.

Last edited:

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
With regards to sizing..with most of my jackets im a regular 44...i have a goatskin lost worlds raider size 42 that fits if im just wearing a shirt..gibson n barnes...i have one horsehide A2...size 40 & fits perfectly?great jacket & quality..only problem..for me.. is the hide has a plasticy spray finish...

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
is Veg tanned more expensive than chrome?

Is there not a recent thread here devoted to this subject, with comments from some actual jacket manufacturing reps that was EXTREMELY informational?

Yes, there is! The search engine is your friend...well, maybe not this search engine.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points