Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibson Barnes a-2 jacket

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Just bought one from eBay and it should be arriving today. Anyone have any experience with there? Apparently it’s about 20 years old and goatskin, but is a slim, military fit which is what I’m looking for! I wanted an Eastman, but figured maybe this could make a nice beater jacket.
I’ll post fit pics later once it arrives

kojax

Practically Family
i have a a2 gibson barnes goatskin the jacket is 10 years old still looks new there leather hides are real nice i will post some pictures of the jacket

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The G & B's are well made from good materials. They have never been considered highly around here in terms of their accuracy, which is important to A2 enthusiasts. Even ten years ago they were not known for offering a slim military fit so you may well have a special version. I like their goat-hide and usually recommend a wash in the washing machine to knock some of the shiny newness from them. Dry slowly away from heat.

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
It just came in and the guy who sold it to me took measurements which were pretty off. Pit to pit is another 1.5” which makes it look rather baggy and I’ll fitting. So disappointed! Oh well, onto the next project I guess. Search continues for a solid G1 or A2 in my tall, skinny and goofy size haha

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
G&B jackets are well made for their price, but they should never appear in the same sentence with "slim military fit"!

My vintage-2001 Civil A-2 has had the most wear of all my leather jackets BY FAR, and it's held up splendidly. Aside from some fading to the gray undercoat on the high-friction areas of the windflap and epaulettes, the goatskin still looks great, and the zip, lining, and knits are all still solid. (That said, I never liked the "texturized nylon" knits, which became pilled and loose-thready almost immediately... but they are so tough that they're nearly impossible to cut, so I've left the loose threads to give it the "worn-in" look that they were seemingly designed to provide.)

Sure, it's no great historical repro... but I eventually got a Good Wear Dubow for that slot!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have a G&B "historical" horsehide A-2 that is a 40T (long) that probably fits like a 44 long. In fact I used to own an Aero Bronco A-2 in russet jerky horsehide that was labeled 44 with the same 27" sleeves and 27" back length at the G&B that probably fit one size smaller than the G&B. The historical G&B A-2's are not huge but IMO simply mislabeled. In any case the critical factor(s) are measurements rather than labeled sizes that is true for every jacket manufacturer.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
It just came in and the guy who sold it to me took measurements which were pretty off. Pit to pit is another 1.5” which makes it look rather baggy and I’ll fitting. So disappointed! Oh well, onto the next project I guess. Search continues for a solid G1 or A2 in my tall, skinny and goofy size haha
I'm curious. What were the measurements you anticipated, and what were the actual measurements and labeled size of the G&B you received?

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
It’s a 42L and I was hoping for it to be slimmer closer to 23” p2p. It measured closer to 24.5” p2p

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It’s a 42L and I was hoping for it to be slimmer closer to 23” p2p. It measured closer to 24.5” p2p

Nothing you are reporting is strange, JJ. These are the standard large measurements of modern A2's. 21 to 22 inches across the shoulders is standard in a Cockpit USA a US Wings jacket or a G&B. Pit to Pit in a 42 is often close to 25 inches. This is why as Fanch says, you should never go by sizes, only by measurements.

I fit a size 38 to 48 depending on the jacket maker and the time period.

Curiously Cockpit USA G1's actually do fit trim and they are a nicer jacket IMO.

You can get cheaper actual trim fit A2's from Steve McColgan or AVI.

jeepjeep13

One of the Regulars
Nothing you are reporting is strange, JJ. These are the standard large measurements of modern A2's. 21 to 22 inches across the shoulders is standard in a Cockpit USA a US Wings jacket or a G&B. Pit to Pit in a 42 is often close to 25 inches. This is why as Fanch says, you should never go by sizes, only by measurements.

I fit a size 38 to 48 depending on the jacket maker and the time period.

Curiously Cockpit USA G1's actually do fit trim and they are a nicer jacket IMO.

You can get cheaper actual trim fit A2's from Steve McColgan or AVI.

Interesting you say that about the Cockpit G1 because the Cockpit USA mil spec G1 caught my eye! Any insight on that jacket? I’m thinking I’ll just order my usual sport coat size of 40L based on the measurements I received.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Holy moly, that is a hell of a size range

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Well it makes sense when you think how variable sizing in jackets is. There is no such thing as a size 42 for instance - even if you just stick to Aero jackets you are looking at a Highwayman in a 38 to fit a 42 and a Board Racer a 46 to fit a 42. Sizes seem to be arbitrary. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points