Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibson & Barnes Raider Anybody?

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Does anybody own one of these?
If so, I'd like to see pix of them wearing it.
I like the style but don't know much about their products.
Any comments on fit, finish, quality of the goat vs cowhide, etc would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all,
Lenny

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The Raider is a fine jacket. I had one in black goatskin in a size 40. Everyone says that G and B jackets run a bit big-maybe about a size, but not too bad. I didn't care for the bi-swing too much so I returned it. One thing about the pictures online-the jacket definitely isn't as blousy as the pictures make it out to be. It is actually a pretty sleek jacket-about the same fit as their A-2. The only thing that could make it a bit blousy are the underarm gussets, which kind of give it a little bit of extra bit of bulk, but definitely not like the pictures make it out to be. If you like the G-1, you will like it. The slant-pockets look great.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Type in "Gibson Barnes Radier" on google images, the third image from the left was mine. I deleted the photobucket image so that is the best I have, but I think it's one of the only pictures out there.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the info Nick.
If I normally wear a 40, do you mean I should buy a 38?

I think that what Nick is saying is that G&B generally seem to be sized generously, maybe a full size larger than usual in some of their jackets. This seems to be my experience with G&B. I have two Expeditions and an A-2, all in 44T. I will say that one of the Expedition jackets was a custom black goatskin that someone ordered and then flaked, and I bought it at a discounted price. The custom jacket fits more like a 46 long with 26" pit-to-pit measurements, whereas the other Expedition and the A-2 are both 25" pit-to-pit. I suspect that I might have been better fitted in one size smaller. Be sure to provide your measurements when you call G&B. Also check their "clearance" page for bargains.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I have no experience buying an A-2 from Aero or the likes to compare,
but I will say that from what I have heard here that yes, the Gibson and Barnes jackets run about a size large. I went from a 40 in the Raider (which fit fine, maybe a bit big) to a 38 in the Civil A-2 which fits a bit better (less excess leather), but either way would have been fine. If you want a sleeker look, go a size smaller. If you want a bit of room, go your usual size. But I have heard here on almost every single forum that people generally exchange their G&Bs for a smaller size.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've had 3 of this make and still have a Raider. They are pretty true to size in my view. But it all depends on what you consider to be a true fit. Get the p to p size, etc and see if it works for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou