Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibson & barnes type a-2 mark 43

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I am just now getting around to posting a G&B "historic" A-2 (Model 43) that is listed in their catalog as Mahogany 3-ounce horsehide (Russet horsehide also offered), tightly woven, plain-weave cotton lining, and the collar is attached directly to the body of the jacket without a collar stand. The knits are worsted wool, and the zipper is nickel rather than brass. The catalog says "This A-2 looks, wears, and feels just like an original jacket made during the war." Obviously the G&B "historic" A-2's are not based on any specific WW II contract.

G&B also makes a similar horsehide A-2 (Type A-2 Mark 41) that is the same as the Mark 43 except the Mark 41 comes with a collar stand. Their Type A-2 Mark 31 also comes with a collar stand but is made of veg tanned goatskin rather than horsehide and has a silk lining rather than cotton.

Originally, I owned a Type A-2 Mark 31 but found the collar stand to be uncomfortable. Of the three "historic" G&B A-2's, only the Type A-2 Mark 43 comes without a collar stand; so that is reason I settled on the Mark 43. Fortunately G&B graciously allowed me to return my Type A-2 Mark 31.

My Type A-2 Mark 43 is a size 40 Tall. As a frame of reference, I am 6'2" and wear a 44 long sports coat. My Aero Bronco A-2 is a size 44 (long) and seems to fit a size smaller than my G&B size 40T A-2. Aero 1930's slim fit jackets with 1" added to sleeves and body length seem to fit me perfectly. As you might surmise, the "historic" G&B run big.

When I visited the G&B factory awhile back, I was able to compare the mahogany and russet horsehides and found that I preferred the mahogany, which is dark brown in color but not quite as dark brown as Aero's seal brown MWHH. The G&B horsehide has a smooth texture and is completely different from the texture of the russet jerky horsehide on my Aero Bronco A-2. Anyhow, I hope this rambling discourse might help someone else on the FL determine how to proceed.

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
Great looking jacket, Fanch! That leather looks beautiful.

I'm not an A-2 guy, but I always thought the collar stand looked smart. I also wondered though if it would be comfortable though.

I'm glad you found one that feels good on ya!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
I have a russet gibson & barnes A2..size 40.im 44 in every other jacket !!but it fits perfectly.the reason it doesnt get worn much is because of the heavy coating to the horsehide...this thing will never age..its the jacket i head for when its raining..it bounces off it.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
So you sized down TWO sizes from your actual chest size? Looks really great!

I wonder sometimes what the relevance is regarding sizing.

G&B A-2 Mark 43 size 40T measurements:
pit to pit - 24.5"
back - 27"
sleeves - 27"

Aero Bronco A-2 size 44 measurements:
pit to pit - 23.5"
back - 27"
sleeves - 27"

I don't think that G&B jackets fit big as much as they are labeled big if that makes any sense. I was hoping this thread might illustrate the importance of relying on measurements rather than labels.

IXL

One Too Many
Great write-up, Fanch. I had wondered what the differences are between all those G&B A-2s. Good fit, too.
You ever gonna cut the grass?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I'm amazed you manage to keep that green, what with the Texan heat an' all.

It's still early in the season, and the teeth of the long hot Texas summer in full fury has not arrived quite yet as temps only in the mid 90's. A big part of our green grass is that we have a sprinkler system. :D HOWEVER, we are limited in use with water rationing. With the Texas heat, drought conditions, and limited water supply for over six million people in the DFW metroplex, we are in trouble. :eeek: I have been on a five-year plan since 1969 to leave this place and return to the mountains of E Tennessee, although my plan has not materialized as yet. [huh]

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Pulled on my A-2 for work today, but just far too warm out there - well, at least by our standards it is. Feels like low 20Cs. Positively balmy for us!:cool:

Roma

A-List Customer
I am just now getting around to posting a G&B "historic" A-2 (Model 43) that is listed in their catalog as Mahogany 3-ounce horsehide (Russet horsehide also offered), tightly woven, plain-weave cotton lining, and the collar is attached directly to the body of the jacket without a collar stand. The knits are worsted wool, and the zipper is nickel rather than brass. The catalog says "This A-2 looks, wears, and feels just like an original jacket made during the war." Obviously the G&B "historic" A-2's are not based on any specific WW II contract.

G&B also makes a similar horsehide A-2 (Type A-2 Mark 41) that is the same as the Mark 43 except the Mark 41 comes with a collar stand. Their Type A-2 Mark 31 also comes with a collar stand but is made of veg tanned goatskin rather than horsehide and has a silk lining rather than cotton.

Originally, I owned a Type A-2 Mark 31 but found the collar stand to be uncomfortable. Of the three "historic" G&B A-2's, only the Type A-2 Mark 43 comes without a collar stand; so that is reason I settled on the Mark 43. Fortunately G&B graciously allowed me to return my Type A-2 Mark 31.

My Type A-2 Mark 43 is a size 40 Tall. As a frame of reference, I am 6'2" and wear a 44 long sports coat. My Aero Bronco A-2 is a size 44 (long) and seems to fit a size smaller than my G&B size 40T A-2. Aero 1930's slim fit jackets with 1" added to sleeves and body length seem to fit me perfectly. As you might surmise, the "historic" G&B run big.

When I visited the G&B factory awhile back, I was able to compare the mahogany and russet horsehides and found that I preferred the mahogany, which is dark brown in color but not quite as dark brown as Aero's seal brown MWHH. The G&B horsehide has a smooth texture and is completely different from the texture of the russet jerky horsehide on my Aero Bronco A-2. Anyhow, I hope this rambling discourse might help someone else on the FL determine how to proceed.

Fanch, what's the back length here?

Roma

A-List Customer
I wonder sometimes what the relevance is regarding sizing.

G&B A-2 Mark 43 size 40T measurements:
pit to pit - 24.5"
back - 27"
sleeves - 27"

Aero Bronco A-2 size 44 measurements:
pit to pit - 23.5"
back - 27"
sleeves - 27"

I don't think that G&B jackets fit big as much as they are labeled big if that makes any sense. I was hoping this thread might illustrate the importance of relying on measurements rather than labels.
Oh, I see, 27".

Отправлено с моего SM-T815 через Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner