Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gifted a Hat That Does Not Fit

Francesca

New in Town
Hello,

I was recently given a lovely 100% wool, black, men's fedora by a family member who came back from South America. This person acted decidedly excited to surprise me with it, and surprised and incredibly appreciative I indeed was... unfortunately it is too small (it says that it is a 7, but I'm not sure about it's exact proportions... from what I understand, a "7" could mean different things for different makers), and I did not have the heart to say it (and even if I did, there is no possible way for it to be returned).

Prior to this, I have never owned my own hat of such nature, though I have warmly admired, lusted after, and spoke of them. Having not had one in my possession, and not going to receive a proper, professional fitting, I never spoke of my hat size. From what I have measured, it appears that I am roughly a fitted size of 7 3/8 (if I did it correctly, which I am uncertain of... inches are 23'' 3/8, or 58 CM).
The person who gave it to me (who is not widely versed on headwear, so I don't think he realized that guessing someone elses' isn't generally wise) said that he wears a 7 1/2, and "figured that I am smaller." While, yes, I am slightly below his own, my size is still a bit larger than most women (though everything is proportionate, hah).

Has anyone else been in this situation before? May I ask how you handled it? I think that I will have a day or so before anyone notices that I have not yet worn it out, and I am trying to figure out how to go about it... should I mention it, should I simply wear it a few times in their presence to avoid hurt feelings, etc.?
Do you think that the difference in sizes is such a vast contrast that it would look strange or disagreeable to wear? It is probably wishful thinking to contemplate a way to faintly ease the circumference out, correct?

My best,
- F

Last edited:

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If the hat is a US 7 and you're a 7 3/8 it's going to be way too small to be stretched. You can generally only stretch up a size (two if you're very lucky).

I'm no expert on women's hats but I suppose you could try wearing it once, perched high and tilted back. Whether this would avoid hurt feelings, or just embarras the purchaser I don't know!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Honesty is the best policy. Simply tell your friend that the hat doesn't fit but that you appreciated the thought.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
If the hat is size 7 it would be to small to wear. I know I wear a 7 3/8. Wool hats do not take to stretching as wool hats do not react to pressure in the same way as fur felt.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Hi Francesca and welcome :)

Have you messured in centimeters or inches? 58cm is appr. equal to 22 7/8". 59cm equals appr. 23 1/4".
58cm would be size 7 1/4 (US) - and 59cm would be a 7 3/8 (US). That seems all size-charts to agree upon. It's another matter, when it comes to inches [huh]

In theory, a hat size 7 1/4 should have an inner circumference equal to a circle with the diameter of 7 1/4". Calculated that is 22.777" (a little more than 22 3/4") - or 57.85cm (very close to the 58).
For a hat size 7 3/8 that would be 23.170" (a little more than 23 1/8") - or 58.85cm (very close to the 59).

As ManofKent points out, there's more room for variations in women's ways to wear a hat. Often women's hats only come in very few sizes with larger gaps between them - sometimes even only in one size.

'Social culture' differs from country to country, and even between circles in the same country, so it's hard to give an advice from the other side of the pond. If one of my daughters asked me, I would advice her to wear it with a funky tilt, if possible at all :)

The giver may be sorry, that he guessed (wrong), if it looks a bit too small. He would probably be even more sad, if he never saw you wearing it, though. Wearing it, you show him, that you like it and that you are grateful - even if the size is a little off.

If you can't find a way to wear it, so it looks well and do not fall of, my advice would be to tell him.

Just my 2 cents :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo