Gloucester Cheese Rolling!

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by galopede, May 25, 2015.

1. galopede

galopede One of the Regulars

Off to my local big event in a minute, the Cooper's Hill Cheese Rolling in Gloucester UK.

Many total idiots throw themselves down a very steep hill (1 in 1 near the top) chasing a cheese!

Always entertaining! Here's a video from 2009:

[video=youtube;KOyQBSMeIhM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOyQBSMeIhM[/video]

Gareth

2. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

I love "Borat" in his man-thong chasing the cheese. How to you make a bizarre event even more so? Borat!

3. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

What a perfect metaphor for modern life. Like it or not, everybody's chasing the cheese.

4. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

You also have to the love the guy in the cow outfit - he has an emotional connection to the cheese.

(This is as marginally related as you can get to a topic.) I worked with a woman years ago who - in one of those silly office conversations that occur - said, "oh, I can't have cheese in my house." When I asked why - expecting an allergy reason - she said, "I can't control myself and I just eat it - all of it, no matter how much there is." Always cracks me up when I think about it.

(Second tangential comment) I saw a story on the news once that in Italy, when parmesan cheese is being made, the huge wheels of cheese are rotated and dusted once a week (I think) by a machine. It's very cute, this large machine comes buy, take the cheese wheel out, dusts it, rotates it and puts it back on the shelf.

5. galopede

galopede One of the Regulars

Not too many injuries this year, just two broken ankles and many bruises.

6. A modern-day Sisyphus.