Glove Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by HighandDry, Nov 6, 2019.

1. HighandDry

HighandDry A-List Customer

Anybody have recommendations for some heavy duty leather gloves?

2. Peter Bowden

Peter Bowden Practically Family

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    jonbuilder likes this.
  3. Tonio

Tonio A-List Customer

4. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

Since you live in Seattle, the first thing I would do if I were you would be to drop by the huge Filson store near the downtown area of Seattle and try on what they have in the store.
    https://www.filson.com/accessories/gloves.html

5. Psant25

Psant25 Practically Family

I like my foxcreek leather gloves for riding

also Geier makes a heck of a nice glove

6. northcoast

northcoast New in Town

7. red devil

red devil One Too Many

Heavy duty gloves in which sense and for what?

l0fielectronic likes this.
  8. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

the best pair I own was vintage WW11 motorcycle gloves wasn't how heavy but the construction. Unfortunately, my dog chewed one of the gloves

9. Edward

Edward Bartender

Depends what you want, really. For dress leather gloves, Chester Jeffries are very hard to beat. The best motorcycle leather gloves I've seen, with ECE protection certified, are from Helstons. If you want a great bike-glove look (I don't know whether they have any protection-rating), Goldtop have some very lovely stuff indeed, from pre-war, gauntlet styles to short, 'bobber' type gloves. There are other nice looking bike-type glvoes out there that would do for riding or just keepnig hands warm, though for my tastes a lot of them have been ruined by prominent logos. The Lewis Leathers / Aviakit gloves are nice, though personally I wouldn't pay what they charge over the Goldtops.

If what you want is warmth rather than the leather style, I would get onto ebay and pick up a pair of something like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-COLORS...hash=item3d915fbc63:m:ma-rkbtUfKT-7ikEPl6Knkw - I've been wearing a couple of pairs of gloves like this in the worst of the cold for a few years now. Look as stylish as some of the recommendations above they do not, but they cannot be beaten for warmth. Certainly did the job in Beijing in December a few years ago, and it doesn't get much colder than that.

10. HighandDry

HighandDry A-List Customer

Thanks for all the recommendations!

I really dig the Goldtop Bobber gloves, but it's hard to find them in the US!

11. navetsea

navetsea My Mail is Forwarded Here

looks really cool, some other models on the page look like jousting gauntlet or part of superhero costume...
    how to size gloves properly to look nice once broken in? I always end up with slightly too big when following the size guide, I think downsize, and wear it wet until dry to stretch is what I would do next time

12. leolou

leolou New in Town