Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gloverall Duffel coat sizing

Thinking about purchasing a a new Gloverall "Monty" Duffel coat (the classic RN WWII design).

http://gloverall.com/shop-item?id=2

Wondering about sizing.
I wear a size 44 Regular men's jacket, chest is 43 1/2".
Stand 5/9".
Arm length on my Aero leather jackets is generally 25 1/2 - 26"...cuff coming to the base of my thumb.

Would like a bit of room in the jacket for that "classic" Duffel coat drape...but don't want to look like a toddler who tried on daddy's coat.
Debating between a size 44 (XL) and a size 42 (L)
Recommendations/experiences?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Hi Jeff - Just PM'ed you. After looking at their website I think I got you wrong. Thought you talked about a size small - measuring 25" pit to pit.
Are these facts you have from their website?
These coats are rather roomy - it was important to wear lots of layers underneath on those cold nights in the North Atlantic. Open bridge and all.
So - unless they have modernized the design and made them trimmer - I should say that a Size L might be the right fit. And a size XL would give you room.
I would contact them, to ask just that.

From the gloverall web site, it looks like the Large will be a good size for me.
I guess I'll find out.
Hi Jeff - Just PM'ed you. After looking at their website I think I got you wrong. Thought you talked about a size small - measuring 25" pit to pit.
Are these facts you have from their website?
These coats are rather roomy - it was important to wear lots of layers underneath on those cold nights in the North Atlantic. Open bridge and all.
So - unless they have modernized the design and made them trimmer - I should say that a Size L might be the right fit. And a size XL would give you room.
I would contact them, to ask just that.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's sleeve measurements I was given for the Gloverall 575 officially from the company:

size L = 26"
size XL = 27"

Here's a couple of sets of measurements for the Gloveral 575 which I found on some Japanese websites selling them. Keep in mind these are not official measurements, so they shouldn't be considered reliable (and obviously don't match).

size M
Pit to pit- 25"
Shoulder to shoulder- 20"
Neck seam to hem- 38.5"
Shoulder to cuff- 24.5"

size M
chest 48
shoulder 21.25
sleeve 24.4
length 38.9

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's the Gloverall sizing chart. The duffle coats come in "letter" sizes only, but they seem to have a section for "number" sizes which is kind of interesting as a reference since this is the only sizing chart in the universe which seems to have the over-shoulder-to-cuff measurement, which I have found to be the quickest and dirtiest way of sizing a garment. Anyway, if you look at the ranges for "letter" sizes versus "number" sizes you can get an idea of general sizing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn