Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gloves

Joseph Ciotti

New in Town
Pretty much what the title says, what's everyone's thoughts on them?

Personally, I love wearing a nice pair of black leather gloves with my suit and such. I'm trying to piece together a hat and different type of pair of gloves for whatever I wear.

I also think ones with the slight gauntlets go well with trenchcoats and such, but making sure the gauntlet goes under.

What do you all think?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It depends on the season and weather. I woulnd't wear leather gloves as a fashion accesoire because warm and sweaty hands don't feel so good.

In the winter they are part of the basic wardrobe of course. I have to admid that I don't own a pair of vintage leather gloves though. I have to buy some next autum

Edward

Bartender
Gloves are great. I'm even fond of cotton gloves into the Summer months. A superb accessory for the dedicated anarcho-dandyist. Outfit permitting, I often like to wear cotton gloves (often just a pair of cheap, 'dimpled' riding gloves) in July and August. I like the look, and they mean that only that small part of my head not afforded the shade of my hat brim is exposed to the Sun; a distinct bonus as I neither care for the aesthetic of a tan nor consider it to be particularly healthy. As a side benefit, I also find that a snug pair of light cotton gloves actually helps to wick sweat away from my hands in humid weather. Slipping them off to shake hands is easily done, and has the benefit of avoiding one's being 'the sweaty palm guy'.

The only outfit with which I would love to wear cotton gloves in Summer but find myself lacking an ideal pair is black tie. White gloves with blacktie somehow suggest to my eye the garb of a stage magician, not quite the look for which I am reaching!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Another gloves fan here but I only wear them in winter. Having lived in Norway a couple of times now I have some fairly hefty arctic condition things which don't see use here in Oz unless at a skifield. Brown leather gloves are my favourite to wear, I have my father's officer gloves from the RNZAF (which now need reconditioning) and a rather beautiful pair I bought in Norway, which are my usual wearers. I also have a wonderful pair of Norwegian selbuvotter which my wife's grandmother knitted for me and I love them :) You've all seen brown leather gloves before so I won't bother posting pics, but here's selbuvotter which might be new to some of you...

selbuvotter_160107_002_1168981449.jpg

Joseph Ciotti

New in Town
Smithy said:
Another gloves fan here but I only wear them in winter. Having lived in Norway a couple of times now I have some fairly hefty arctic condition things which don't see use here in Oz unless at a skifield. Brown leather gloves are my favourite to wear, I have my father's officer gloves from the RNZAF (which now need reconditioning) and a rather beautiful pair I bought in Norway, which are my usual wearers. I also have a wonderful pair of Norwegian selbuvotter which my wife's grandmother knitted for me and I love them :) You've all seen brown leather gloves before so I won't bother posting pics, but here's selbuvotter which might be new to some of you...

selbuvotter_160107_002_1168981449.jpg
Those gloves look great. :) I'm sure they keep you nice and warm, especially with the love in every stitch.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I love leather gloves, whether for work or warmth. Living in Florida, it's pushing it even to wear them on a couple of our 'coldest' days of the year. Any chance I get though, I don them. Driving gloves are the coolest.

I simply like the look and protection and added purchase they afford.

Here's a few of what I've got:

DRIVING
DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DRESS
DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DESTRUCTION
DSC_0097.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
No branding, just a "9" printed inside. I like them a lot too. Got them at a thrift store a couple years ago. Three bucks or something like that. And they are the softest leather ever. :)

buler

I'll Lock Up
Wells Lamont Deerskin

I have to put in a recommendation for the Wells Lamont Deerskin gloves. Swear by these things. The deer hide wears very well and is soft and comfortable right away.

WellsDeerskin

B

deerskin.jpg

Corky

Practically Family
Here's an added feature of wearing skin-tight leather gloves...

Here's an added feature of wearing skin-tight leather gloves:

Back in the '70s, when I was working the main floor at Brooks Brothers, selling shirts & ties, I usually walked out the door of my Manhattan apartment wearing a suit and tie.

When the weather was inclement, I wore a trench coat and usually a fedora and a pair of skin-tight leather gloves - black or brown to match my shoes.

I lived in Hell's Kitchen in those days, in a neighborhood where everybody's apartment got burglarized sooner or later, but my place never got hit. One day, by chance, I found out why.

I was walking down the front steps to the street when some local kids who were sitting on the steps started chanting, in a playground singsong sort of way: "We Know What You Do For A Living! We Know What You Do For A Living!"

So I spun around and confronted them; "OK kids, what do I do for a living?"

They went silent all of a sudden, then the biggest kid spoke up in a timid voice: "We were just kiddin' Mister... We didn't mean anything by it!"

I barked at him: "OK, but what do I do for a living?"

The kid swallowed hard, then blurted out, "You're a Hit Man for the Mafia!"

I suppressed an urge to laugh, but continued to grill him: "Who told you that I'm a Mafia Hit Man?"

"Your gloves. You never come outside without those black leather gloves. The only people who wear gloves like that are Mafia Hit Men!"

Clearly these kids' only touchstone with reality was cheap gangster movie cliches, but I was not about to let them get off easily.

"OK, listen up, you little brats! Keep your mouths shut about what I do or there's gonna be hell to pay. You understand? And if anybody else finds out what I do, I'm gonna come looking for you and you can't even imagine what's gonna happen in your worst nightmares!"

"Yes, sir! Yes, sir! Our lips are sealed! Nobody's gonna find out from us!"

"They better not! Or your asses are in big trouble!"

Then I turned and walked away.

And so I continued to wear a pair of those skin-tight leather gloves every time I walked out of that apartment.

And my apartment never did get burglarized.

DanielCoffey

Familiar Face
Chester Jefferies Gloves review

I have just received my first two pairs of bespoke gloves from Chester Jefferies in the UK and thought I would post a short review with pictures.

I went for their bespoke fitting service because my hands are broad with relatively short fingers (I remember being very embarrassed when trying to play a Bassoon I was given to try at school because my fingers wouldn't go all the way round!). If I buy regular gloves that fit the fingers, the palms are too tight and if I go up a size, the palms fit but there is too much spare at the tops of the fingers and thumb.

Just a reminder, Chester Jefferies charge a one-off £20 bespoke fitting surcharge on your first order because they make up a permanent template from your hand tracings. All subsequent orders are at the regular price on the website. Paying the extra in my case was well worth it because the fit is perfect! Going bespoke means a 4-6 week delivery time (just under 4 weeks in my case) rather than 2-3 weeks if they have your size in their standard fitting.

I have been managing with winter cycle gloves in the past which were never very comfortable and also were cheap for bicycle gloves in the first place so I decided it was time to treat myself to two pairs. One lighter pair for the summer and a winter weight pair. I chatted to the sales staff and they advised I choose a pair in Cape leather (hair sheep) with a silk lining for the light wear and a deerskin with cashmere lining for the winter. Once I narrowed down my colour choices, they sent me some offcut samples so that I could see how the leather actually looked - the web colour swatches are a rough guide at best.

I chose The Cheltenham style for both pairs with one pair in Camel Cape with red silk and the other in Mink Deerskin with cashmere.

The Cheltenham is a hand-stitched glove and even includes the little pieces between the fingers to allow freedom of movement and reduce strain on the stitching.

I have colour corrected the pictures so that they look more accurate on my monitor as my camera over-saturated all the shots. With the Camel Cape pair I have matched the colour to the leather in the first shot and to the silk in the second shot. The Mink Deerskin ones matched much better.

The Cheltenham in Camel Cape Leather, red silk lined...
CheltenhamCamel.jpg

CheltenhamCamelRedSilk.jpg

The Cheltenham in Mink Deerskin Leather, cashmere lined...
CheltenhamMink.jpg

CheltenhamMinkCashmere.jpg

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
I have a nice med brown pair I wear in the winter time. but personally I hate gloves I hate not having sense of touch with my hands.

I am a mechanic by trade, and when I work on cars, I wear surgical gloves so I can still feel things normally, but keep may hands clean.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I did all my Christmas shopping last year at Chester Jeffries, and I think everybody was very happy with what they got. I think most people, anyway most Americans, don't really think much about the quality of their gloves, except maybe for driving gloves.
I've decided to try to have gloves that reasonably match my shoes as part of my sartorial standard of living, and C-J was helpful in that.
Ever since I watched the first Hercule Poirot episode, about a hundred years ago, I've wanted a pair of nice gray gloves like always wears, but I'm afraid that would require a complete new wardrobe to match.
Anyone here have white kid gloves? I put together a nice white tie and tails outfit last year. (I've actually worn it a couple of times. Much fun.) But the one missing component is the white gloves. Now I could get those cheap $3 cotton gloves they sell, but they just don't seem right, compared to real white kid.

Lokar

A-List Customer
My problem with most modern gloves (and the photos of Chester Jeffries gloves I've seen on various threads) is that they're just not tight enough - I want thin gloves that are tight enough to be almost awkward to pull off, I want to be able to pick up coins with my gloves (which I know you can do with some gloves from the US, but I've had difficulty finding any in the UK).

I also prefer having the seams hidden, like HPG's gloves.

The wrist part of the CJ gloves also seem very large, and without a part cut out, with button and buttonhole, to make it fit snugly on the wrist when it's on. Is that the case?

Bertie's gloves here are more like what I like (although it's a tiny picture of the gloves).

jeeves2.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I had a pair of dove gray Dents kid gloves with a mop button at the wrist, but sadly one of them wore a hole through the thumb. I also have a pair of light yellow gloves in the same style. I need a new gray pair, and I'd like a brown pair, so I can rotate more, but they're difficult to find and I don't like buying gloves off eBay.

cptjeff

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene said:
No branding, just a "9" printed inside. I like them a lot too. Got them at a thrift store a couple years ago. Three bucks or something like that. And they are the softest leather ever. :)

Size 7 hat, size 9 gloves, and you're over 6 feet? You're a man of strange measurements.

The only real 'nice' gloves I have are a black leather cashmere lined pair that I found at a thrift store.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Not fashionable, more utilitarian: I wear gloves on those days when it is cold enough to warrant the protection. Here in southern California that is not that frequently.

However, when it is that cold, I slip on an overcoat, my one pair of black gloves, and a plaid muffler (when it's the week of the UCLA-Southern Cal game, I wear a blue and gold muffler knitted by my wife). I like to think I look solidly vintage, at least for the commute.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Gloves and a hat, no outdoor outfit is complete without them, IMHO. I love the finishing touch of gloves, whenever the weather permits. I have a dozen and wear them all the time in fall, winter and spring.

And once recently, like Edward, I wore white cotton gloves and a panama with my white linen DB suit. It worked for me, but not for the faint of heart, I suppose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk