Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Go To Hatter in San Diego, Los Angeles?

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I tried looking through old posts, but I've had no luck thus far. Maybe someone can help me out.

I have a panama hat that was badly taken care of by yours truly. The byproduct of moving a lot, never wearing it and general ill-treatment. However, the straw itself, with the exception of the trim of the brim, is high quality and I would like to save what I can of the hat.

Hopefully, I can shorten the brim a bit to make it more my style while I am at it.

I know it might be possible to do remotely. However, if possible, I would like to get it done in person, so I'm looking for a hatter in Southern California with the craft capable of doing such a thing. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
Don't know about San Diego, but avoid Baron's in Burbank. Their customer service.... how shall I put this.... sucks.

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
Baron's customer service is dreadful. Unfortunately I do not know of any other hatter in the LA area that is any better (or even as good) for blocking and repair.

I understand that some have mailed hats to Optimo in Chicago for refurbishment.

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Not sure if he does refurbs anymore, but Art Fawcett (Vintage Silhouettes) is a wizard with straw. He's not in the SD area; Oregon.

-AFI

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Our fellow lounge member Analogist has had a lot of good luck with Batsakes in Ohio. From what I've been told, the repair work is verygood and their prices are very fair.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
Hollywood Hatters is fine as a hat shop but they do not compare to Baron's for refurbishment -- in fact I was told they have Baron's do ribbon replacements rather than doing them in house.

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
I've been to Baron's, as it is a lot closer to me. I went in for a repair on a canvas fedora. Made in New Zealand, supposedly a sheperd's hat. I bought it from Atlantic Rancher when they still existed. The guy in charge said of course they could do it and much more! Not so. They weren't able to do anything but ruin the hat. I don't know who the guy was, or if he's still there. But the lady that attempted the actual work told me she found it almost impossible to put the needle through the hat. Fortunately I bought a few of these hats when AR was going out of business so I had a couple extra. Still, I hated the feeling of putting it in the trash. Probably just an isolated misjudgement.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Okay, the clock is ticking on your two years :)

I'd be more than happy to visit a good hat store in the area, a nice little motorcycle jaunt up the freeway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points