Go To Hatter in San Diego, Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Jack Scorpion, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Jack Scorpion

Jack Scorpion One Too Many

I tried looking through old posts, but I've had no luck thus far. Maybe someone can help me out.

I have a panama hat that was badly taken care of by yours truly. The byproduct of moving a lot, never wearing it and general ill-treatment. However, the straw itself, with the exception of the trim of the brim, is high quality and I would like to save what I can of the hat.

Hopefully, I can shorten the brim a bit to make it more my style while I am at it.

I know it might be possible to do remotely. However, if possible, I would like to get it done in person, so I'm looking for a hatter in Southern California with the craft capable of doing such a thing. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

2. Jack Scorpion

By the way, I am currently living in San Diego, so that would be my preference for hatters.

3. EVEN-STEVEN

EVEN-STEVEN One of the Regulars

Don't know about San Diego, but avoid Baron's in Burbank. Their customer service.... how shall I put this.... sucks.

4. Bird's One View

Bird's One View One of the Regulars

Baron's customer service is dreadful. Unfortunately I do not know of any other hatter in the LA area that is any better (or even as good) for blocking and repair.

I understand that some have mailed hats to Optimo in Chicago for refurbishment.

5. airforceindy

airforceindy One of the Regulars

Not sure if he does refurbs anymore, but Art Fawcett (Vintage Silhouettes) is a wizard with straw. He's not in the SD area; Oregon.

-AFI

6. besdor

besdor Vendor/Sponsor

Our fellow lounge member Analogist has had a lot of good luck with Batsakes in Ohio. From what I've been told, the repair work is verygood and their prices are very fair.

Steven
    www.bencrafthats.com

7. Jack Scorpion

Darn, Art is in Oregon now?

My plan B was to wait until the next time I went to the Bay Area.

8. Mike in Seattle

Mike in Seattle My Mail is Forwarded Here

Yeah, he's been there at least 2-3 years, I believe.

9. Elmonteman

Elmonteman One of the Regulars

I've heard and read a few good things about Hollywood Hatters. http://www.hollywoodhatters.com/ I've wanted to visit for a while now, but just haven't been able to get down there. Give 'em call to see if they can work with your hat.

10. Bird's One View

Bird's One View One of the Regulars

Hollywood Hatters is fine as a hat shop but they do not compare to Baron's for refurbishment -- in fact I was told they have Baron's do ribbon replacements rather than doing them in house.

11. Elmonteman

Elmonteman One of the Regulars

I've been to Baron's, as it is a lot closer to me. I went in for a repair on a canvas fedora. Made in New Zealand, supposedly a sheperd's hat. I bought it from Atlantic Rancher when they still existed. The guy in charge said of course they could do it and much more! Not so. They weren't able to do anything but ruin the hat. I don't know who the guy was, or if he's still there. But the lady that attempted the actual work told me she found it almost impossible to put the needle through the hat. Fortunately I bought a few of these hats when AR was going out of business so I had a couple extra. Still, I hated the feeling of putting it in the trash. Probably just an isolated misjudgement.

12. Jack Scorpion

Haha, you guys are no help!

Baron's is the only place...
    Baron's is terrible...

Where do this leave me?

13. Jack Scorpion

So...

You're saying that I can learn hattery, open up a custom hat store in LA and lock down the market?

Give me 2 years.

14. Chinaski

Chinaski One Too Many

Okay, the clock is ticking on your two years :)

I'd be more than happy to visit a good hat store in the area, a nice little motorcycle jaunt up the freeway.