Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goatskin motorcycle gloves?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
That it is a very bad idea!

If you go down in these you will not be a happy man... Your hands are the first things that touch the ground, and unless you are happy to lose them i think it is worth investing more than 26$ to protect them.

Those gloves would just explode at the seams or tear if you were to put your hands down at any speed...
It's not all about the leather, the stitching is also really important.

Considering the technology and knowledge used in todays gloves i really think there is no excuse to ride with gloves like that, unless you are the kind of person that rides in shorts and T shirt with no helmet on!

I ride in those:

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341190

Some might find it overkill, i like my hands the way they are and would like to keep them that way!

Cheap gloves:

PB250047_zps8af9f037.jpg

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
If you're serious about protecting your hands in the event of an unplanned get off, there is only one leather that you want covering the palms of your hands; Kangaroo hide.
Held are some of the best.
Do some research and don't skimp on protection.
Lenny

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
The held Steve looks decent enough, the Classic i personally wouldn't wear, not enough padding and protection...
The fact that the Steve has sliders and kangaroo on the palm is a big plus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHu5sezMGQE

See if you can find some old Held Phantom 1, since the Mk2 version came out you can find some really good deals on the Mk1 if you find some place that has them in stock.
I got mine for almost 50% off just after the Mk2 came out.

It was voted best racing glove for years in a row... Honestly they are very comfortable, and i wear them in the street.
I would not wear anything less, IMO hands are just to important to take that risk.

Last edited:

rippsnorter

New in Town
Another vote here for Held gloves.

I have a pair of Held Akira's that I got off ebay for around $80 I think. They're the best gloves I've ever owned. Buying in the winter is the best time too, prices on ebay will go up as the season comes on.

I also have an old pair of Olympia gloves that I've been down in a few times. They have a small tear in them finally, but they're thin, lightweight and very comfortable. I feel much better protected in my Helds though.

I've been riding for 20 years now. Get good protection. Full leathers (not just chaps which don't protect your butt) a good helmet, good gloves and at LEAST some decent high heeled work boots.

Like they say about riding. It's not if you're going down, it's when.

sal

One of the Regulars
I wear Aerostich Elkskin Ropers. Comfy and nice thick leather.
Disclaimer: I am street rider, on a cruiser. I do not do any track or sport bike riding. So for me these fit the bill

felix03

One of the Regulars
The safety v. style debate is an ongoing issue for me. FYI, I ride a Moto Guzzi V7 Classic. V7cSmall.JPG

If safety were no issue I'd ride with a half helmet, my aero cafe racer, jeans, engineer boots, and some basic leather gloves. The problem is I truly hate the look of most moto gear out there. What I've settled on is a full face AGV helmet, armoured leather or textile jacket, and leather pants (but not for my 5-minute commute). Wondering if anyone out there feels the same . . .

BTW, I ordered a pair of the Held Steve gloves and they're coming in this Wednesday.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I typically ride in Rukka jacket and trousers or Alpinestars leather and draggin jeans, Rukka/Held / Alpinestars gloves, Daytona / Altberg boots and a Shoei Mutitec helmet ( soon to be replaced with a Neotec ). I wear an Oxford Fluro vest over this ensemble and bikesafe illuminated vest when visibility is poor.

Safety is always a consideration above style or fashion in biking for me .... that's not to say I want to look like a dork, but I do 130 miles per day all year round in all weathers .... I've been riding bikes for 30 years and have done well over 100k miles. I ran race teams for 15 years and won Scottish, British and World Championships with various teams.

Modern kit is superbly designed, light, durable, waterproof and supremely protective. When I have felt particularly reckless :) I have worn a good leather (never sheepskin) jacket ( Aero / Alexanders / Lost Worlds / Schott), my Forcefield undershirt and back protector, draggin jeans, boots, gloves and a helmet ... .this is MY MINIMUM standard.

I'm not a safety "nazi" ... but have seen enough of the damage that even a slow speed spill can cause .... so I choose to protect myself as best I can. Others have their own standards and it's their skin / head / bones etc.

Just MHO

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Nice, i am glad you went with a real motorcycle glove and not for something vintage/cool looking.
No disrespect, but the gloves posted earlier are at best work gloves and should not be worn on a motorcycle unless you are ready to lose your hands!

Regarding the safety vs style debate, i think that safety should always be your main concern, just google road rash and see if you want it to happen to you!

Luckily now you can find gear of pretty much any style that still offers good safety.

For example, i ride a sporty bike, but hate the modern power ranger look that goes with this kind of bike.
I wear classic leather jackets, like schott, Lewis leathers, but wear a knox armoured shirt underneath with chest and back protector.
I always wear a pair of hood jeans, they are kevlar lined pretty much all the way, and have knee and hip armour.
Good boots and gloves are also really important.

Riding a cruiser, or a vintage looking bike like yours is no excuse for not wearing gear, the road will feel the same when you slide on it at 50mph whether you fell from a Harley, a Guzzi or a GSXR.

It's been said before, but dress for the slide, not for the ride.

Silverpoint

New in Town
Far too many riders are willing to trade off some safety gear for looking cool. If you want to look cool, save it for walking down the street. Otherwise, yeah- you'll look cool as you're being thrown off your bike and heading for the pavement, but moments after that all that fashion panache isn't going to do you one bit of good.

I ride a Harley, and have been hit by others in the most innocent of situations. It was my Belstaff Montana with armour, full helmet, and proper boots that allowed me to get back on the bike again. 'All the gear all the time' means proper gear- not wanna be gear!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
As a Power Ranger wearing Busa rider I would like to comment on this.
There is some great gear out there now and quite a lot of retro style jackets and gloves, many containing modern protection. Just because you ride a vintage Harley or BSA does not mean you need the look to ride looking cool.
So they may not be selvedge Levis but having an off will cost you a lot more than a new pair of 'vintage' jeans.
Same with hands, a lot of classic style gloves come with Kevlar, as do jeans. But its not all about sliding. A Front Quarter horse jacket will be great in a plane slide, but what about impact? That HURTS!
Do yourself a favour, pop down to you local bike gear dealer and spend about $75 on a new pair of gloves, even in a slow spill you will thank yourself.

injunjack

One of the Regulars
Blaaahhh....

Wear what you want. Be ready to go hi-side, and always keep the rubber side down ;-)

No protective gear here except the lid, as it's mandatory....

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Blaaahhh....

Wear what you want. Be ready to go hi-side, and always keep the rubber side down ;-)

No protective gear here except the lid, as it's mandatory....

If that statement is sarcasm, fine.
If not, it's one of the most juvenile, naive and stupid things I've ever read.
And thank God for the Darwin Theory!
Lenny

Meerkat

Familiar Face
If that statement is sarcasm, fine.
If not, it's one of the most juvenile, naive and stupid things I've ever read.
And thank God for the Darwin Theory!
Lenny

Darwin was definitely a Hells Angel.....I will be trying out Foxcreek Elk gloves but i will need undergloves since i over calculated the fit. I am not personally keen on plastic knuckle protectors on composite gloves or any studding that might aid abrasion....speeding fines in Finland hmmmmm

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Darwin was definitely a Hells Angel.....I will be trying out Foxcreek Elk gloves but i will need undergloves since i over calculated the fit. I am not personally keen on plastic knuckle protectors on composite gloves or any studding that might aid abrasion....speeding fines in Finland hmmmmm

Just wait till you fall and slam your knuckles on the asphalt, you will be wishing you had a knuckle protector...

injunjack

One of the Regulars
Hey, oneeyeman...to each their own. Been down once...rear-ended a car which stopped suddendly in a jam. hitted the car at 40km/h. Still no protectors :eeek:

Darwins been good to me, been riding over 30 years...and planning to do so looong time still. :D

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Whatever.
In the future, please think about what you're posting in forums, and how it sounds to others.
I almost never preach to anyone, because, like you say, "to each their own".
BUT
Statements like you made really strike a raw nerve with me, and, as I suspect, other serious motorcyclists who cherish their lives.
Please take my sentiments to heart and gear up in the future.
Lenny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk