Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Age radio - Paper Tape Archive

Duke of Buckingham

New in Town
Here’s a fascinating resource – a digitized collection of radio recordings (mostly) spanning the years 1947 to 1954.

Back in 1947 a resident of Billings, Montana, bought one of the first commercially available tape recorders and set to recording his radio. Over the subsequent years he filled more than 100 reels of tape with everyday broadcasts.

It’s a treasure trove. We have big band broadcasts, as expected, but the real interest is in the ephemera: complete radio shows, news broadcasts, weather reports, quiz shows, live sports coverage, religious items (essentially sermons) and commercials.

As the files can be right-clicked and downloaded, you could put edit together a complete evening’s listening to run as a background. Or just listen online.

I’ll repeat the link in case the hyperlink does not work: www.otrannex.com/papertapes

(Mods – I searched but could not find a link to this, but please delete if I’m repeating something.)

yell-f.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland