Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Christmas Tree decorations??

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Would like to go with a more vintage-esque looking Xmas tree. With watching "Its a Wonderful Life" on Thanksgiving Day, and soon to be watching "Miracle on 34th Street", I can watch for some good ideas.

What have other vintage enthusiasts done? Besides tinsel and homemade ornaments? I don't want to make real popcorn or cranberry chains, but paper chains are fun to make and look old fashioned...

chanteuseCarey said:
Would like to go with a more vintage-esque looking Xmas tree. With watching "Its a Wonderful Life" on Thanksgiving Day, and soon to be watching "Miracle on 34th Street", I can watch for some good ideas.

What have other vintage enthusiasts done? Besides tinsel and homemade ornaments? I don't want to make real popcorn or cranberry chains, but paper chains are fun to make and look old fashioned...

Bubble lights are super for Golden Era, Carey. (I know there is a thread here someplace about them)

If you can find some of the old lead "icicles" rather than the plastic tinsel, it's fabulous - just keep it away from pets and babies! I've "recycled" mine for a lot of years by very carefully laying on the branches and removing slowly after.

Another thing I do occasionally in lieu of the icicles is make my own "flocked" or "snowy" tree with tufts of cotton batting laying on the branches and sprinkled with mica "snow" which you often see used in those cute little paper villages. It makes a very striking effect, looks quite charming and helps ornaments to really show up - the lights reflect off the white and kind of looks like moonlight on the snow.

I'll take a breather now and let you know if I think of anything else later.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Oh, I forgot, a Lionel train running around the Xmas tree is a must! We've got the Polar Express engine and tender, and will add older looking metal cars. I've got three vintage Lionel Blue Comet cars that date to the 20s or 30s, but won't use the newer plastic PE cars.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for your input HHoney! Can one still get Bubble lights? I like the batting and mica snow idea, we'll try that this year!

Hamilton_Honey said:
Bubble lights are super for Golden Era, Carey. (I know there is a thread here someplace about them)

If you can find some of the old lead "icicles" rather than the plastic tinsel, it's fabulous - just keep it away from pets and babies! I've "recycled" mine for a lot of years by very carefully laying on the branches and removing slowly after.

Another thing I do occasionally in lieu of the icicles is make my own "flocked" or "snowy" tree with tufts of cotton batting laying on the branches and sprinkled with mica "snow" which you often see used in those cute little paper villages. It makes a very striking effect, looks quite charming and helps ornaments to really show up - the lights reflect off the white and kind of looks like moonlight on the snow.

I'll take a breather now and let you know if I think of anything else later.

Geesie

Practically Family
There are modern bubble lights. I don't know how they compare to the old ones.

Looking at the suggestions, and some eBay and vintage store Christmas stuff, I started to wish I had things like that. Then I remembered that my family did, and used them continuously. Which is why most of them are gone. The lead tinsel, the bubble lights, the various reindeer figures and so on... Decades of use takes its toll. It's a shame that most of it won't be passed on and appreciated in perpetuum but on the other hand what's the point in having your toys locked up in original packaging?

clubwitsend

Practically Family
Oh, I LOVE the bubble lights! My grandmother used to have them on her tree, and I was so fascinated as a kid!

These are sort of all over the place era-wise, but one of my favorite shops in NYC (which closed awhile back), pops up again at Christmas sometimes in the East Village and sells only amazing vintage Christmas decorations...as a lover of kitsch and such, this is a dream come true...

2121337999_d374b4697c.jpg

2121337759_a4a4e07672.jpg

2122114758_f443af595a.jpg

2121337447_98e8f0a847.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Here is a pic of some ornaments my father must have bought in 1947, made in Czechoslovakia. There were originally a dozen, I'm sure, but the ravages of time have reduced them to 7, not all completely intact. But they're still exquisite.
Czechornaments.jpg

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
clubwitsend said:
Oh, I LOVE the bubble lights! My grandmother used to have them on her tree, and I was so fascinated as a kid!

These are sort of all over the place era-wise, but one of my favorite shops in NYC (which closed awhile back), pops up again at Christmas sometimes in the East Village and sells only amazing vintage Christmas decorations...as a lover of kitsch and such, this is a dream come true...

2121337999_d374b4697c.jpg

2121337759_a4a4e07672.jpg

2122114758_f443af595a.jpg

2121337447_98e8f0a847.jpg

I don't care for Christmas and try to participate as little as possible but these decorations almost make the holiday kind of appealing to me! I love that style of trinkets/ornaments

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
Here is a pic of some ornaments my father must have bought in 1947, made in Czechoslovakia. There were originally a dozen, I'm sure, but the ravages of time have reduced them to 7, not all completely intact. But they're still exquisite.
Czechornaments.jpg

Very nice and well-kept. My mother has some glass tree decorations that were made in occupied Japan.

Lee

Foofoogal

Banned
I use nothing but vintage decorations at Christmas and just have to say
clubwitsend you made my day. I am so glad it is in NYC as I would be broke in 5 minutes in that shop. Woww..

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Our daughter dug out of the garage one of the xmas bins, and hung up some of the construction-paper chains. The stockings (the old fashioned kit kind made with glued felt pieces and hand sewn sequins) got put on the fireplace too. We got a lovely tree today, a gift from my youngest sibling to us.

The silly party store velvet and trimmed xmas hats we got last year are all out available to wear. One is a striped headband with a dangling felt mistletoe, when I wore it last year to the CA Pops Orchestra holiday concert last xmas, one lady attendee said I looked like a Who!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't have a tree at home (my house is too small, for one thing, and it's too much bother for another), but I still have several strings of vintage Noma C-6 lights that I used when I did have one -- as long as you check them over carefully and avoid those with dried rubber insulation and cheap no-brand postwar strings, they're still safe and attractive -- just use common sense and don't leave them burning unattended. I also have a terrifying illuminated plastic Santa Face that I used to hang in the front window until the neighbors complained it was scaring their kids.

We put up the tree at work last night -- we didn't use popcorn strings this year because the concession kids rebelled when I told them they were going to have to string it, so instead I festooned the tree in 35mm film cut from old trailer reels, and we cut out Pop Corn and Coca-Cola logos from cups and boxes for ornaments. The tree topper is cut and folded from another popcorn box. I'm going to tie ribbons around some old film cans if I can scrounge some up and place them under the tree for the final festive touch.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I'd love to see a pic of this tree LizzieMaine!

LizzieMaine said:
We put up the tree at work last night -- we didn't use popcorn strings this year because the concession kids rebelled when I told them they were going to have to string it, so instead I festooned the tree in 35mm film cut from old trailer reels, and we cut out Pop Corn and Coca-Cola logos from cups and boxes for ornaments. The tree topper is cut and folded from another popcorn box. I'm going to tie ribbons around some old film cans if I can scrounge some up and place them under the tree for the final festive touch.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Even if they aren't old fashioned I think they look that way too:) We make candy canes ornaments by twisting together two different colors of pipe cleaners too.

Brooksie said:
Sometimes I like to hang candy canes on the tree, it always seems old fashioned but I really do no know if it is or not? [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points