Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Christmas Tree decorations??

Foofoogal

Banned
Hands down my 2nd fav FL topic thread.

I have the wheel and now looking for the Aluminum tree. My honeys Dad worked for Alcoa for years and it was all they ever had. He hates them but I have wanted one for 35 years. His time is up.

I only decorate at Christmas with vintage. I hang the fancy Christmas aprons I collect like Garland.
I also have every single Christmas card we have received for 35 years.
Does anyone else do this?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
I like to save each year's Christmas cards, but the Missus views them as clutter. I occasionally still discover the cards my mother used to save.

We have a wire frame sort of Christmas tree designed to hold cards; I used to tape them to the entry hall wall, or hang them on a string running along a wall.

When it comes to decorating, my wife decorates the tree in even numbered years, I decorate in odd numbered years. The only truly "vintage" decorations are those I have from my youth; I keep using them because of the powerful sentimental value.

Foofoogal

Banned
I also have a clothesline type thing I use to hang the cards on with little tiny red and green clothespins.
It is amazing though how few send cards anymore though. Sad really. I used to send tons but not as many now.
Funny how you and your wife swap years.
It is standard that honey puts on the lights and I do the rest. He is a perfectionist on them.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I picked up a couple of boxes of this yesterday:
511jLlzZfiL._AA300_.jpg

Repro 1940's glass garland.

Foofoogal

Banned
I bought some repro bubble lights and trying to figure if I want to keep them or not. I love the graphics on vintage as much as the items. Nice box.

amatras

New in Town
How about tree toppers? What was used to go on top? This is my first year trying to do a vintage tree. I've had the train, bubble lights and some of my grandmother's ornaments in the past, but I'd like to go all the way this year.

rue

I also have every single Christmas card we have received for 35 years.
Does anyone else do this?

Yes I do! Everyone thinks I'm nuts, but amongst the cards I have there are the ones from those we've lost over the years and they are very special to me. I also think that Christmas cards might go away, so I'm keeping them as a beautiful old relic that my future great grandkids will look at with wonder ;)

I do have a question.... Does anyone have any idea what kind of trees those were in all the old movies? They had the upswept branches and I can't find one in Ohio that looks like them. Are they extinct?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I suspect any Christmas tree in an old movie, Wonderful Life, for example, was created by a Hollywood prop shop. I don't think a real tree would last long under those million watt lights. So they're probably "idealized" trees.

Warbaby

One Too Many
For several years we've been thinking about doing a Victorian tree with real candles. This year I think we're gonna do it. Prolly won't be a really big one (depends on how many candle holders we can find/afford on eBay, as well as the size of our fire extinguisher) but just once we want to experience what it was like, once upon a time.

rue

For several years we've been thinking about doing a Victorian tree with real candles. This year I think we're gonna do it. Prolly won't be a really big one (depends on how many candle holders we can find/afford on eBay, as well as the size of our fire extinguisher) but just once we want to experience what it was like, once upon a time.

If you do, please share a picture! I would love to see it.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Rue,

Search around because I'm pretty sure there's a thread on Christmas Trees and some wonderful example of feather trees as well as the more mod aluminum trees and everything inbetween. I would love to do a feather tree because the ornaments are just so pretty and delicate. Last night, I had a few lost moments looking at feather trees and ornaments online. I found one I liked and was this close to buying it when I realized the cats were looking over my shoulder and I swear they were calling dibs..."you get the topper and I'll get the little feathered birds, then we'll knock it over and drag it through the house and blame the dog when we're done." Couldn't let something so pretty get ruined, so no feather tree for me. :(

rue

Rue,

Search around because I'm pretty sure there's a thread on Christmas Trees and some wonderful example of feather trees as well as the more mod aluminum trees and everything inbetween. I would love to do a feather tree because the ornaments are just so pretty and delicate. Last night, I had a few lost moments looking at feather trees and ornaments online. I found one I liked and was this close to buying it when I realized the cats were looking over my shoulder and I swear they were calling dibs..."you get the topper and I'll get the little feathered birds, then we'll knock it over and drag it through the house and blame the dog when we're done." Couldn't let something so pretty get ruined, so no feather tree for me. :(

Thank you! I'll take a look online and see what I can find :)

I have to tell you that your description of the cats made laugh lol You're so funny!

Warbaby

One Too Many
WooHoo! Just scored a lot of 85 vintage Xmas tree candle holders on eBay!

We hadn't considered a tree big enough for 85 candles, but what the heck - if we're going to do it, we may as well go for it in a big way.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
WooHoo! Just scored a lot of 85 vintage Xmas tree candle holders on eBay!

We hadn't considered a tree big enough for 85 candles, but what the heck - if we're going to do it, we may as well go for it in a big way.

Please take pictures of the tree when it's dressed with the lights. Sounds wonderful.

p.s I'll be back in Vancouver Island to see my sis & her newborn mid Jan - I'll be in touch, it'd be grand to see you & your wife again.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Please take pictures of the tree when it's dressed with the lights. Sounds wonderful.

p.s I'll be back in Vancouver Island to see my sis & her newborn mid Jan - I'll be in touch, it'd be grand to see you & your wife again.

I'll definitely post pix if the candle thing works - also looking forward to seeing you in January. All the old geezers here say it's gonna be a bad winter, so maybe you'll get to see some snow.

Meanwhile, here are a couple of photos of real vintage trees:

The Wright Brothers family Christmas tree, 1900

XmasTreeWrightBros1900.jpg

The Dickey family, 1923

XmasTreeDickey1923.jpg

Moving ahead to 1954...I find this next photo profoundly depressing. Or maybe just disturbing in a nightmarish sort of way. When I look at it, I imagine that I've been teleported back to 1954 and I'm trapped in the body of someone else and I've just arrived at my/his fiance's home for Christmas dinner. I walk into the living room and there she is with her mother...and...The Tree.

XmasTree1954.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm