Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Christmas Tree decorations??

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I went to good old Shorpy.com for this. (If you're not a fan of Shorpy.com you should be. Great photos dating from the Civil War on forward. I just put in "Chritstam tree" in the Search field and got these links.)
Seems people were not as obsessive in years gone by about perfect shape in the trees, for one thing. This thing of tree farms trimming the odd branches on trees over the few years they grow is a phenomenon of the post 70's era. Some rather gangly trees got used back in the day.
Another cool thing to observe is that in the early years of the century walls didn't have electric plugs. Everything was screwed into the socket in the ceiling fixture. This included vacuum cleaners and Christmas tree lights.
There are some amazing pics in this Shorpy list:
http://www.shorpy.com/search/node/Christmas+tree

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Moving ahead to 1954...I find this next photo profoundly depressing. Or maybe just disturbing in a nightmarish sort of way. When I look at it, I imagine that I've been teleported back to 1954 and I'm trapped in the body of someone else and I've just arrived at my/his fiance's home for Christmas dinner. I walk into the living room and there she is with her mother...and...The Tree.

XmasTree1954.jpg

Run, Warbaby, run! ...uh, but if ya could, please grab that floral lampshade on your way out.
Pretty flocking scary, if you ask me! ;)

Um...Does the Dickey's tree remind anybody else of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation? The tree, not the people.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I had a little tree frame that I wrapped this 'aged' silver tinsel around and put on some glass ornaments. The color of the tinsel is perfect because it looks old - unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any around here...and to get anymore would most likely entail a trip to a craft store that is a fair distance from me (it's where I got the stuff originally when all the xmas stuff was going on sale since it was post xmas).

The ornaments are glass (mostly modern) - but there is a nice blue set that dates from the 60's that I fell in love with. I picked up all the ornaments at the local Salvation Army. I'm quite pleased with how my little tree came out.

Foofoogal

Banned
Just found a vintage felt Santa Claus toilet seat cover. Not sure if I want to keep it or list it....Decisions, decisions. What a hoot.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Moving ahead to 1954...I find this next photo profoundly depressing. Or maybe just disturbing in a nightmarish sort of way. When I look at it, I imagine that I've been teleported back to 1954 and I'm trapped in the body of someone else and I've just arrived at my/his fiance's home for Christmas dinner. I walk into the living room and there she is with her mother...and...The Tree.

XmasTree1954.jpg

That is a scary picture. The tree appears to have icicles, and the two ladies in the picture look like icicles themselves...

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Looking for a vintage Delft tree topper. Typical blue and white. Would match all of my ornaments beautifully, but I can't seem to find one. A few pop up on Ebay, but they're the newer ones. If anyone sees one, let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
I am excited over the decor of my prized 4ft aluminum pom-pom tree! I have not put it up since xmas of 2007 when we were living in Alaska.

I won it on ebay in 2000 and have only shiny brites and a gorgeous topper (made in germany) that has a snow baby inside. As many times as we've moved, i've always moved my vinti xmas things myself.
We will also have a fresh cut green dougles fir because my 16 & 12 yo want that ;) But they know that I am scouring thrifts for vintage outside decor and lights. I grew up with those C9 bulbs and just love the look over midget lights anyday!
I hope to post pic's once i get things up.... btw, if there are any loungers around my neck of the woods == Sacramento on up to Nevada, please, pm me as I would love to share some eggnog with you :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112