Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Trap Sets

Futwick

One of the Regulars
My earliest instrument was the drums which I began playing at age 8. Before then, I had a little toy drum kit I got for Christmas but I started to get good on it and so my parents got me a real kit and signed me up for lessons. I hated the lessons but I loved playing and I knew the lessons helped even though I didn't practice the lessons nearly as much as I should have. I didn't get really serious about hunkering down with lessons until I discovered jazz in my teens. I got a set of acrylic Ludwigs with Zildjian crash and ride cymbals and a Paiste China-type. 14-inch hit-hat. I went through snares like a mad man. I used a Rogers dynasonic for a long time but settled down eventually with a Ludwig metal shell. My brother has that drum kit now. I own a set of wood shell Yamahas today with Zildjians again. Metal shell Yamaha snare. I still use that Paiste China-type and now use a 13-inch hi-hat.

I wanted to put a Golden Era drum kit together but never got around to it. It takes some searching although all the pieces are out there. They ain't cheap though.

Here are some factoids about American drum manufacturers:

-Gretsch has been making drums since the 1880s and is the oldest drum company in the U.S. Ludwig & Ludwig started in Chicago about 1911.

-Leedy started in Indianapolis about 1898.

-Slingerland started manufacturing drums in 1928 in Chicago (they made other instruments prior to that) with the Radio King being their premier model starting in 1935.

-In 1929, C.G. Conn of Elkhart, Indiana bought both Leedy and Ludwig & Ludwig and moved them both to Elkhart. A new drum line--Leedy-Ludwig--was formed. Leedy had done business with Ludwig for many years. So did Slingerland.

-When William F. Ludwig insisted on overseeing operations as he had always done for Ludwig & Ludwig, Conn sent him packing back to Chicago to oversee business there but Ludwig knew he was just being gotten rid of and decided there was no point to hanging around. He quit Leedy-Ludwig in the 30s to found his own company but could not use the Ludwig name because Conn owned it so he used his initials instead--W.F.L. Drums out of Chicago--and these drums became quite popular.

-In the 50s, W.F.L. bought back the Ludwig portion of Leedy-Ludwig and moved all the old machinery back to Chicago to be set up next to the new W.F.L. machinery and both companies merged as simply as Ludwig.

And now a Golden Era trap set gallery:

1366333419.jpg

6531205_orig.jpg

knappset.jpg

Ludwig_snow_shoe-600x400-300x200.jpg

The hi-hat was invented about 1926. But most of the time, they used this sock cymbal that was low to the floor. Before that, it was a cymbal attached to the kick drum, the kick pedal had a little spur on it that impacted against the cymbal with each kick. This was called a clanger and was the forerunner of the hi-hat and sock cymbal (see first image). Drumming was a very different animal at this time. Today, drummers keep time on the hi-hat. You hold the whole beat together by riding the hi-hat but in these early days, things were very different. Drummers then often admitted to having no idea how to use these lo-hat sock cymbals--they just clapped them together whenever they could work it in. The hi-hat today is really the central part of the entire drum kit.

Futwick

One of the Regulars
Ludwig_12_inch_large_Chinese_tom_tom-600x400.jpg

If you're wondering what that little drum is that is mounted on the kick drum with the skins riveted on, it's called a Chinese tom-tom. Someone whose father owned some told me that they really were made in China. Moreover, the cymbals you see mounted on the kick drums were usually China-type and many trap sets used gongs, blocks and bells that were also Chinese or modeled on Chinese gongs, blocks and bells. I often read statements by musical "scholars" who say that Asians had virtually no impact on American music but that's not really true. These early drum kits were partly Chinese in make and design. Virtually all wooden instruments were and still are coated in lacquer to preserve them. Most of our instruments would wear away in no time flat without lacquer--it's absolutely essential. And where do you think lacquer was invented? Heck, in Europe, their word for lacquering betrays exactly whom they learned the art from--Japanning.

1929_Ludwig_Ludwig_Peacock_Pearl_set_front-378x322[1](1).jpg

buddy_rich_kid.jpg

This is "Traps"--the Boy Wonder of drums--who was so good that he could do things on drums that even most accomplished adult drummers couldn't do. He went onto to have a huge career under the name Buddy Rich.

knapp6.jpg

attachment.php

Futwick

One of the Regulars
attachment.php

By the 1930s, Chinese tom-toms became passe and these deep-shell toms were now being mounted on drum kits. The round things mounted on the kick drum are wood blocks.

1918-ludwig-drum-sets-1.jpg

1924-ludwig-drum-sets-2.jpg

1928_slingerland_pg6_large.jpg

A Slingerland snare catalog

FinishedLeedy2.jpg

A Leedy snare. These Golden Era metal shell snares were the best snares ever made.

Futwick

One of the Regulars
Paul Barbarin was not only a great drummer, he is the writer of one of the greatest Dixieland jazz classics ever--"Bourbon Street Parade."

Last edited:

Futwick

One of the Regulars
th

Great Dixieland drummer, Gary Burghoff, who, in the 60s, was in a band that featured Linda "Wonder Woman" Carter as lead singer.

Futwick

One of the Regulars
A young Gary Burghoff playing at a loud, obnoxious party of drunken old geezers:

[video=youtube;-m1dxH3XVAY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m1dxH3XVAY[/video]

Futwick

One of the Regulars
A young Gary Burghoff playing at a loud, obnoxious party of drunken old geezers:

[video=youtube;-m1dxH3XVAY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m1dxH3XVAY[/video]

Futwick

One of the Regulars
Jackie Cooper plays the drums on the Milton Berle Show:

[video=youtube;YhejNjWOgaQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhejNjWOgaQ[/video]

Futwick

One of the Regulars
The incomparable Buddy Rich--just WOW:

[video=youtube;9esWG6A6g-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9esWG6A6g-k[/video]

Futwick

One of the Regulars
I've always loved Louie Bellson. Here he is soloing with a double kick drum kit before I was even born:

[video=youtube;nBQWaCLlK9Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBQWaCLlK9Y[/video]

Futwick

One of the Regulars
Louie and Buddy face off--OMFG!

[video=youtube;CYSeHscZJPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYSeHscZJPQ[/video]

Futwick

One of the Regulars
Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa face off:

[video=youtube;BZ5B7yqDYbA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ5B7yqDYbA[/video]

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Two influential British drummers - Andy White who played on the first 'Beatles' recording at EMI and Phil Seamen, who mentored the great Ginger Baker. -dixon cannon

Andy White:
AndyWhite-1_zps1ba10727.jpg

Phil Seamen:
PhilSeamen_zpsf26fc06b.jpg

Futwick

One of the Regulars
The Original Dixieland One-Step from 1917 on the Victor label, one of the earliest recorded jazz tunes. Since it's a non-electric recording, the drums don't have a lot of separation but you can hear drummer Tony Sbarbaro (aka Tony Spargo) playing the woodblock and cowbell--a pure ragtime drummer. The cymbal is obviously a China-type. The kick drum is used only sparingly and makes a good boom. The snare has a deep but crisp sound and you can hear the Chinese tom which he hits at the end of each musical line for punctuation, it's quite different from the snare.

[video=youtube;BRcuisqMPI8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRcuisqMPI8[/video]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points