Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goldtop England

Edward

Bartender
Just when you think "there really can't be a market for all the brands in this leather jacket niche", you discover a new one... http://www.goldtop.co.uk/

These guys look to be revivalists in the same, very British, rocker vein as Lewis or Mascot. Priced at the same 'bduget' level as Mascot, around GBP300 for a jacket. The 1959 model looks interesting (breast poket appears to be on the right, which is unusual); 617, despite the Schottesque name, is in Lewis-style territory. Some interesting bits and pieces on there. Clearly been on the go for a while, but this is the first I've heard of them - they just popped up on my facebook in an ad today. Anyone have any experience with these?

willyto

One Too Many
I don't like them and they also add Logos on the outside, no thanks.

Why do they think adding logos is a good idea? It looks flashy and specially on a small brand it looks like they're pretending to promote a status they haven't reached yet.

This is... nice! These British designs are still relatively fresh, there's only the revived Mascot and that Japanese brand 666 or whatever's it called besides LL of course, that has been dominating this particular market. Good to see something like this.

Nice looking hide, just right for the style. They've taken the time to get the correct hardware, lining, etc. Details are spot on, too... I don't know, looks good! I like it.

I really dig the 1959, too. 617 is sweet too. Simple. Cool.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
They look nice enough, agree about the branding though big 'brand' badges stuck on jackets are a turn off for me.

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars
They look pretty good. Not everyone wants to drop a grand (us) on a jacket. They don't say where it is made though... I'm assuming China? I get very nervous with made in China goods.

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
The 1959 look good indeed.
I like the LL style. Also have a thing with the brand badge on LL jackets. With this brand it would be no different.

Edward

Bartender
The brand thing is interesting. I agree they'd look better without it - though I suspect two minute with some leather dye or even a sharpie would soon sort that out. I can only assume they want folks to see their brand, know that it's on the go.... Unlike the recently revived Mascot, I don't know whether this is a case of reviving an old mark or one that's been gonig for some time still, just not so well known. There were loads of bike leather bands in the UK right up until the final decline of UK manufacturing industry in the eighties. The decline of British bike leathers mirrored both the trend of off-shoring and the decline of the British motorcycle industry more generally (if a few years later).

This is... nice! These British designs are still relatively fresh, there's only the revived Mascot and that Japanese brand 666 or whatever's it called besides LL of course, that has been dominating this particular market. Good to see something like this.

Nice looking hide, just right for the style. They've taken the time to get the correct hardware, lining, etc. Details are spot on, too... I don't know, looks good! I like it.

I really dig the 1959, too. 617 is sweet too. Simple. Cool.

Yes, I like those designs too myself - very British, very distinguishable from the american Schott, Buco, et al. I'd agree, it's nice to see the options out there. Something that hit me immediately was the attention to detail in the zip pullers: it gives them a genuinse sense of period that some of the more 'budget' jackets miss. Interdting to note that they are a reasonable weight of leather, too. Pity they don't seem to be offering the option of adding CE armour - you'd think there'd be a demand for classic style bike leathers with unobtrusive CE armour; surely not everybody wants both power ranger style and protection? The 59 is particularly nice. I would consider it a contender if I wanted a second black jacket in that HWM style. At that sort of price, if I wanted to create an old-school Rocker jacket with patches and such, it would be a realistic contender. The 617 is like a slightly simpler Lewis Lightning. Nicer than a lot of the later 70s jackets where the zips became comically large and crude looking.

They look pretty good. Not everyone wants to drop a grand (us) on a jacket. They don't say where it is made though... I'm assuming China? I get very nervous with made in China goods.

I should think given that they make a point of mentioning the boots are made in England, but don't to anything else, and also the price point (I suspect their retail is around basic cost for building a jacket in the UK), they have to be overseas production. I would imagine Pakistan, rather than China, though. There's a long history of leather goods, and especially bike leathers, being produced affordably to (price-point allowing) a good level of quality for the UK market. This, of course, is another competitive factor that saw the end of a lot of British leather production back in the day.

It says on boots they're made in England. They have some really cool gloves, by the way!

Yeah, that's specific to the boots, though. The gloves look great. I'd consider some of those for just general wear. For riding, I'd want to see the thickness of the palms, ideally with an extra layer of leather on there. I'd sacrifice kunckle guards every time for better palms, knowing how I react to falling (and assuming I'd go the same way in an off from a MC!).

The 1959 look good indeed.
I like the LL style. Also have a thing with the brand badge on LL jackets. With this brand it would be no different.

Lewis historically didn't put a logo patch on the outside of their jackets until they were established- I think some time into the mid Sixties, if memory serves, and even than it was for some time still "Aviakit", before eventually the LL branding took over. For many years, right up until relatively recently, they were happy to allow a customer to order up one without that logo patch, but recently changed the policy and will no longer do that. I can only guess that they see it as a selling-point (distinguishing it, at a glance, from cheaper rip-offs - I know they were very ticked off with that Leather Monkeys outfit who started off selling used Lewises and then set up their own line of cheaper, copycat jackets. Not counterfeits, but they did keep using Lewis name in their eBay and Facebook ads, and got themselves banned from the Lewis FB page in the process....). Also, as it's been on their jackets from way back, it's not historically inauthentic in the way that, say, the big Barbour logos of more modern times might be. Also, peraps, relevant that the core customers for LL these days - the rocker revivalists - aren't generally reticent to wear a lot of logos and branding on their jackets. ;)

The Lewis one would be very easy to blank out, of course - indeed, the gold on them will wear quick enough of its own accord, leaving just a very subtle, embossed spot. These on the Goldtop are more obvious, though, as said, two minutes with a Sharpie would soon see it obscured....

Funny, my Schott 618 has no fewer than seven exterior brand logos, but as they're all on the chrome snaps, it's not something that stands out, really...

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
The guy who is the frontman at shows etc has been at it for years selling gloves of all sorts etc and some very good prices. The Goldtop brand is years old, yes another revival but we do need some cheaper ranges in the market.
I have seen the 617 jacket in the flesh so to speak and looks good for the money, the little patch is fabric so could be unpicked and removed. The black gloves are really nice and better priced than you know who's.
As for the boots, I owned a pair of 1960s Goldtops but they did not have the quilted front the plain looks so much better. Wonder why he went with the quilted style. Also they claim an Aero puller on the zips(nothing to do with Aero leather Clothing) but the pic shows a 'Clix', I guess either would be authentic.
The fisherman's socks seem almost a cliche to me, did 'Every' Rocker wear them? Not badly priced though. And the Merino RAF type roll necks seem priced to mach everyone else.
As for Lewis customers, most are probably just poser queens. I have only ever seen one guy riding an old bike wearing a new jacket. Why pay £800 or whatever when you can get a good secondhand one from our old mate Nigel at HiStar for around half that. Then not everyone wants someone else sweaty armpits in their jacket.

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
As said with Lewis jackets I consider them absolutely great. The only issue being the logo but one can easily rub it off.
Goldtop seems good quality for the price which is clearly a budget one (incline for Paquistan manufacturing though)

Justhandguns

Practically Family
As said with Lewis jackets I consider them absolutely great. The only issue being the logo but one can easily rub it off.
Goldtop seems good quality for the price which is clearly a budget one (incline for Paquistan manufacturing though)

The leather jackets looks pretty nice for their price points, my bet is that they are either India or Pakistan made. Considering that some of the lower-end Grenson/Loake shoes are made in India, I would not be too worry about the quality though.

There are some complaints about Lewis quality recently. Since the departure of Hiroyuki Maeda, Lewis seems to have changed some of their directions, the use of horsehide is a major one, tailoring quality seems to have dropped ever so slightly, i.e. unmatching hides on opposite panels, uneven stitches, broken zippers etc etc. I hope that is not a long term issue.

Edward

Bartender
The guy who is the frontman at shows etc has been at it for years selling gloves of all sorts etc and some very good prices. The Goldtop brand is years old, yes another revival but we do need some cheaper ranges in the market.

Certainly doesn't hurt. As with Mascot, it's nice to see something that's coming out at the lower price point, but is it's own thing. you can see certain elements in common that are distinctly a British take on this sort of stuff, but a Mascot Black Night or a Gold Top 617 is different enough from a Lightning to be it's own thing, rather than one of the 1,001 budget reduxes of the Perfecto design (which I love, but it's nice to see something else too).

I have seen the 617 jacket in the flesh so to speak and looks good for the money, the little patch is fabric so could be unpicked and removed.

I thought that it was... so if you're a bit more patient, a stitchripper is as effective as a sharpie here.

The black gloves are really nice and better priced than you know who's.

They are. Sometimes it's worth paying more for demonstrably better, but there are also times where no matter how muh more you pay, you're not going to better what is ultimately a very simple product.

As for the boots, I owned a pair of 1960s Goldtops but they did not have the quilted front the plain looks so much better. Wonder why he went with the quilted style. Also they claim an Aero puller on the zips(nothing to do with Aero leather Clothing) but the pic shows a 'Clix', I guess either would be authentic.

AFAIK, both types of zip were widely used back when by the British leather producers. I'd agree that the boots would look nicer with a plain front. I wodner if the quilting is an attempt to make them look distinctly different than Lewis, and thus not give off the impression of being a copyist brand? Pity, in a way - ironically, I'd love something akin to a Lewis Westway, but at a lower price point...

The fisherman's socks seem almost a cliche to me, did 'Every' Rocker wear them? Not badly priced though. And the Merino RAF type roll necks seem priced to mach everyone else.

Wouldn't surprise me if they all used the same supplier for the sweaters. Yeah, the socks do seem to have been really ubiquitous in all the photos I've seen from the actual Ace Cafe scene (as distinct from the revivalist movement, which does often seem to have zoned in on fairly atypical, exaggerated, types...

As for Lewis customers, most are probably just poser queens. I have only ever seen one guy riding an old bike wearing a new jacket. Why pay £800 or whatever when you can get a good secondhand one from our old mate Nigel at HiStar for around half that. Then not everyone wants someone else sweaty armpits in their jacket.

I've sene a few, but I suspect for most it's a rare thing, especially the guys who prefer to ride daily with more modern safety gear. On the revivalist scene, I get the impression they're popular enough, but for guys who get into the real 'rocker jacket' vibe, a used or off-brand version is often a better bet as, well.... would you be comfortable sticking patches and studs all over an £800 jacket? ;)

HiStar did a lot of nice stuff when I last saw them in Camden, in the Stables (I think the 'modernisation' into a tourist trap pushed them out, like al ot of otherp laces I used to frequent?). Still pricey enough, though (how I wish fifteen years ago I'd just paid that £200 for the Pathfinder I wanted for Dr FranknFurter.... they're over double that now!). I think times are changed, though - not many larger sizes left in good order that I've seen on the market, and when a used one is £500, the new price doesn't start to seem just so bad. Add to that so many of the surviving jackets out there now are 70s era, when, in my expience of handling them at least, Lewis did dip in quality a bit in their hides.

The leather jackets looks pretty nice for their price points, my bet is that they are either India or Pakistan made. Considering that some of the lower-end Grenson/Loake shoes are made in India, I would not be too worry about the quality though.

Yes, I'd suspect they'd be at least as good as my Schott.

There are some complaints about Lewis quality recently. Since the departure of Hiroyuki Maeda, Lewis seems to have changed some of their directions, the use of horsehide is a major one, tailoring quality seems to have dropped ever so slightly, i.e. unmatching hides on opposite panels, uneven stitches, broken zippers etc etc. I hope that is not a long term issue.

Interesting - I hadn't heard there'd been changes in the team, but I did notice horse becoming a thing; assumed they were playing catch-up with the market in the likes of Aero et al. Be a shame if their quality dropped, but I certainly welcome them getting on board with some sturdier hides. A lot of Lewises I've handled over the years were very flimsy; however historically accurate that might be, I don't care for overly light jackets in that style as a punter. A Horse Lightning (58 spec, without the added sleeve pocket) would appeal.... Maybe one day. The Goldtop 59 really is nice, though I'm also eying up a similar jacket Biker's Paradise do, which has the bonus of armour pockets.... appealing, as I'm hoping to get myself on a bike, finally, over the next couple of years.

I've noticed that too about LL. I was too quick to praise them unconditionally 'cause every other LL jacket that I had handled in person afterwards wasn't nearly as heavyweight as that Phantom I got. That thing is super heavy, though. I guess it's a hit and miss thing, as with most other makers... In as much time they've been around, no wonder. This is still the second jacket on my jacket list:

UVR2%20main.jpg

There's one really Rockerish and sharp Goldtop motorcycle jacket on the bay ATM.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-1960s-G...4c3f8d8&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=311727868351

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars
Didn't know about this brand "Lewis Leathers". It looks very nice. I really like the "countryman" and "lumberman" styles.

I've noticed that too about LL. I was too quick to praise them unconditionally 'cause every other LL jacket that I had handled in person afterwards wasn't nearly as heavyweight as that Phantom I got. That thing is super heavy, though. I guess it's a hit and miss thing, as with most other makers... In as much time they've been around, no wonder. This is still the second jacket on my jacket list:

There's one really Rockerish and sharp Goldtop motorcycle jacket on the bay ATM.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-1960s-GOLDTOP-Cafe-Racer-British-Motorcycle-Jacket-Lightning-Zipper-sIZE-38/252206128027?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=37115&meid=9dbfec6dd24942a5a6dc2d10e4c3f8d8&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=311727868351

Edward

Bartender
Definitely hit and miss on the vintage Lewises - much more so as they got into the seventies. The modern stuff, of cours,e is uniformly superb, and they offer the chocie of both light and heavier hides.

The Universal Racr is really cool; if I was to get seriously into 30s bikes, I could see me in one of those.... either design, they're both really sharp.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Time to revive an old thread :)
At the recent London Motorcycle show Gold Top had a stand selling most of their wares with a few notable items.
The first is the discontinuation of the frontal brand logo. It appears they have listened and give what the customer want, and now give the option to have or have not, the standard jacket coming minus the logo and will put it on at request.
Next, and rather important to me is the placing of the single chest pocket usually placed on the right hand side. This is still the main design but on special request can be sewn on the traditional left side though this may make the jacket non returnable(ask them) as it needs a special order. Though a similar design to of Aero's '59er Highwayman' with the short front fastening and chevron yolk, Gold Top's version does not have the split front panels as Aero's has, making a different jacket style and well worth the money in my opinion.
Back to the gloves and I purchased some Merino wool lined(so called) cafe Racer gloves, at a £10er more than fleece(as in synthetic rather than wool) they are well worth it.
As a rider from the 1970s and still today I would say to the doubters, the gloves are at least as good as those made back then available at most motorcycle shops and outlets, and with that in mind I personally would not be too bothered if they were made in the far east though some of the fittings do have England emblazoned on them. You will buy a lot worse from those bike show sellers selling unknown brand leathers for half price, sure they will do the job but Gold Top's look well worth the money.
JTee

Edward

Bartender
Time to revive an old thread :)
At the recent London Motorcycle show Gold Top had a stand selling most of their wares with a few notable items.
The first is the discontinuation of the frontal brand logo. It appears they have listened and give what the customer want, and now give the option to have or have not, the standard jacket coming minus the logo and will put it on at request.
Next, and rather important to me is the placing of the single chest pocket usually placed on the right hand side. This is still the main design but on special request can be sewn on the traditional left side though this may make the jacket non returnable(ask them) as it needs a special order. Though a similar design to of Aero's '59er Highwayman' with the short front fastening and chevron yolk, Gold Top's version does not have the split front panels as Aero's has, making a different jacket style and well worth the money in my opinion.
Back to the gloves and I purchased some Merino wool lined(so called) cafe Racer gloves, at a £10er more than fleece(as in synthetic rather than wool) they are well worth it.
As a rider from the 1970s and still today I would say to the doubters, the gloves are at least as good as those made back then available at most motorcycle shops and outlets, and with that in mind I personally would not be too bothered if they were made in the far east though some of the fittings do have England emblazoned on them. You will buy a lot worse from those bike show sellers selling unknown brand leathers for half price, sure they will do the job but Gold Top's look well worth the money.
JTee

Interesting re the variations they'll do. Personally, I rather like the quirkiness of having the chest pocket on the right hand side. (Might even be convenient for me; I'm a lefty). Bolt in London now do a very similar jacket, though at a jump up in price - https://www.boltlondon.com/bolt-products/bolt-leather.

Did Goldtop give any indication as to whether they were considering doing a version that could take armour? They told me some time ago via facebook they were looking into it, though when they were featured in Built they were clear that "our jacket aren't armoured / they fit snugger that way / if you want armour they might not be or you". I've also often toyed with the idea of finding somewhere that could fit armour pockets to a jacket and then just having it done retrospectively. Seems it's not hard to find on a cafe racer these days, but anything with a collar like this and a straight zip....

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
No mention of armour, but then I did not ask as I use an armoured shirt from Knox. I would think they are aiming at a better quality product than all those no name sellers that sell to the traditional bikers market. That is those of us not into the 'Power Ranger' stuff, more the retro scene of Triumph Bonneville's and Royal Enfields etc.
I do like their gold quilted lining though.
Goldtop also make a touring jacket in the style of the wax cotton jackets but in leather. Very nice but I don't think waterproof without a heavy coat of Nickwax or something similar.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That 1959 looks very interesting indeed. Does anyone know about the fit? Slim? Loose? I'm getting those tax returns any day now. The size chart indicates that it may be a trim fit.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
That 1959 looks very interesting indeed. Does anyone know about the fit? Slim? Loose? I'm getting those tax returns any day now. The size chart indicates that it may be a trim fit.
That was the style I was interested in and made the enquiry about the pocket, but to be honest that was back in September, the notes on the labelling are more recent and noted on their web page. I will say they are fairly trim but I am a sausage sandwich freak so not a trim figure for me haha. I am one of those that has to buy what feels comfortable and maybe have parts altered due to not having the figure I had back in 1976 ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points