Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good alternative to Indiana jones style boots!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have been looking into a catalog with boots from B.A. Mason. They have a model boot that is a good double for the praised Alden 405 boots, in fact at a distance you would probably not tell one boot from the other. The B.A. Mason boot has something the 405 boot does not have! A lifetime warranty of the soles and heels. If you take a tour of the B.A. Mason shoe online catalog you will find them. They are less than a third of the price, have a welt construction as good as the Alden, and are the same "moc toe" and height as the Alden. Mason boots are very well known for comfort. They also make the same model in a shoe, for an very retro look oxford work shoe, and a similar model boot and shoe that is a bit lighter in color and has the wavy crepe soles instead of the nitrile soles. For $109.88 you can have a very well made rugged boot that is going to give you the look, and in my opinion probably going to outlast the Aldens. The shoe models run between $94.88 and $99.88. Check them out, on the B.A. Mason online catalog. Model numbers 949 for the oxford shoe and number 950 for the 6 inch leather boot. The boot also comes in a higher 8 inch for 10 bucks more.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Yeppers!

I had to add, the pictures of the shoes are not so good, that shoe (actually boot) is really nice looking, I have owned a pair many years ago, may even still have them shoved into a box some place....not sure?????

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While on the subject

These Duluth Trading Co. USA (Wisconsin) made cap toes, though they bear precious little resemblance to 405s, have thus far (6 months) been just super boots.

After having three pairs of the LL Bean, Minnesota made Katahdin Iron Works® Engineer Boots go south on me (all stitching flaws/failures) in six years (albeit of of heavy wear) I gave up on 'em & went looking for alternatives.
I am a very happy camper. :D FWIW.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
It looks like B.A. Mason stopped making their boots in the U.S.A. back in 2003 (rather ironic as these boots are named Work America's work boot), so it's not surprising that their boots would cost considerably less than the Aldens. However, Thorogood makes moc-toe boots here in the states that are somewhat similar to the Masons for not too much more money. Incidentally, the Alden boots mentioned are not moc-toe boots as the stitching on the front of the boot is simply a styling feature.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Thanks for the information, I have a few Mason boots and shoes floating around here somewhere, I was not aware they are no longer USA made, the ones I have are purchased maybe around 1997? I think I have one pair new never worn if I can find them? I have considered the ones I do have as good in quality as Red Wings. If Mason is having them made some place other than the USA now, where are they being manufactured?

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
B.A. Mason only indicates that they closed down their local manufacturing plant in 2003. The current manufacturing location is seemingly impossible to find on their website. Web searches indicate that their footwear is imported from China. It looks like Mason's focus now is primarily as an online retailer and as a corporation they own numerous other brands.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I dug up a pair of Mason shoes I have, they are USA made, but even as they are "new" just not worn yet, made before 1997 and a few made in the 1960's. I am thinking of contacting them and finding out what is ongoing with the production of their boots and shoes as far as where they are being made. I know they do handle some brands that have always been made either in China or somewhere in one of the third world countries, can't recall which ones....but that has been for shoes that are like canvas and leather sport shoes. I cannot write them off as being junk, however, and I am going to perhaps order a pair of their latest offerings in an oxford shoe, just to inspect the quality level, but also to wear them in this nasty winter weather...give them a nice "start out" point of ownership to see how well they will hold up over time.

I am looking for a few work shoes that are made by Red Wing I have stored in a box, if I can find them? I thought it would be interesting to change off every other day wearing them and then the shoes from Mason to have in this snow crummy weather. Treat both pairs before being worn with leather conditioner and then mink oil, keep them cleaned up and all, but wear the living daylight out of both pair and compare them. I have on pair of straight junky boots I use to shovel snow in, Timberland.....they are such a pair of junk. No support in the footbed of the boots, they feel like a over sized pair of $12.00 dime store canvas tennis shoes, you can feel the lugs of the soles actually "biting" the bottom of your feet when walking in them....junk. They do look sort of "cool" they are as rare as ever for that name brand...all white leather, gold triangle lace plates instead of hole to lace up, a lot of "bling" but not worth while in any other area. I don't know if my shoveling snow in them will cause the soles to fall off or not, but I half expect it.....and I am not talking deep snow...I don't do deep snow....I leave that for the more energetic.....lol!

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I'd be interested to learn of what you discover through your contact with them. The hands-on (feet-in?) product testing is a great idea. Please report back when you get a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner