Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good (Looking) Boots for Slippery and Wet Surface?

mushjoon

New in Town
Hi guys,

I work for a beer company in the sales team. If I was in the brewing team, then I would have already got myself a pair of rubber wellingtons with ultra-slip-resistant soles.

However, since I'm in the sales team, I still gotta do meetings with my customers which means that I gotta look "presentable." At the same time, I often go inside walk-in coolers to check kegs and fix couplers, valves and other equipment. I also carry and deliver kegs in some situations.

Some people say that Thorogood moc-toe wedge sole boots have the best traction but some others say that they are horrible in snow and ice which means they might do badly on damp floors of coolers. Also, I really don't like how moc-toe looks like.

In short, I would appreciate a recommendation of a work boot that's:
1) Slip-resistant on wet and smooth surface
2) Kinda looks like dress boots (No Keen-style)
3) (Optional) Preferably, not a moc-toe

Bobby Peru

One of the Regulars
Have you considered boots with Dainite soles? Dainite soles have decent traction yet are low profile enough to pass off as not looking too much workboot-like. For example, something like Viberg Service Boots.

Peter Mackin

Practically Family
Speaking from painful experience,on Tuesday when wearing a pair of trickers stow with dainite soles I ended up at local hospital with severe bruising to my tail bone,,wear your regular boots with studded grips,I won’t be leaving home without them,

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
I have always been a little wary of dainite soles but love Trickers especially the Brogue boots so you have just confirmed that its the Malton with a commando sole for me.

D

safetyfast

One of the Regulars
What about some good boat shoes? They are made for walking on slippery surfaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Slippery is slippery. Boot soles don’t matter much. For presentable boots that can handle work at a reasonable price point Red Wing Iron Rangers or Beckman’s will do.

Edward

Bartender
I have always been a little wary of dainite soles but love Trickers especially the Brogue boots so you have just confirmed that its the Malton with a commando sole for me.

D

Yes, if I wanted something that would have the practicality of a workboot but bed able to fit with a collar and tie / at least 'business casual', I'd be looking at Trickers - bear in mind that their brogue boots with commando soles were designed with the Gentleman Farmer in a tweed suit type in mind. William Lennon would also be in a position to help here, I should think. Definitely go for a lugged, commando sole in these circumstances, not anything flatter. A regular Dainite sole is grand in rain, but for wet surface, there's little gap in the sole or the water to go up into as you step on it, thus you can aquaplane instead. (Think race cars and slicks vs radials when racing in wet weather!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko