Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Watch Cap Repro?

Longplay

Familiar Face
I finally got a great vintage peacoat (1949) and would like to get a good watch cap. I used to have a navy issue one from the 70s but it's disappeared in the ether. I've tried several eBay auctions but it seems a bit crazy to pay $130+ for a cap, especially when my great peacoat was only $70!.

The repros seem to run around $90 but the only one I can find that you can get in the States - through eBay - is the Pike Bros. version. How does it compare to the Buzz Rickson model?

On another note, would one find vintage watch caps for sale on eBay in the summer months, and if so, would they go for less?

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
How precious are you about it being pure wool? I've seen wool-acrylic mix ones that look identical to the "proper" repros going for change in army surplus places...

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I recently picked up a reasonably good one (wool, correct pattern, US made) from EBay for £16 incl. postage. I was keen on a Buzz offering but the price (£50 + pp) was steep.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
How precious are you about it being pure wool? I've seen wool-acrylic mix ones that look identical to the "proper" repros going for change in army surplus places...
I have been saying the same thing for weeks, £3.99 from Camping and General, but I think everyone thinks I am taking the p*ss. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I would dispute that a wool/acrylic blend looks exactly like pure wool. And even if the initial difference isn't that important to you, after a few months wear it will pill horribly and start to look very shabby.

Of course, in the grand scheme of things a wool watch cap is a fairly simple thing which involves very little in terms of materials and labour. I got a gansey patterned 5 ply wool hat from Bobbins in Whitby for a tenner.....

Repro prices from Buzz/ELC etc are so high because they have gone to great length to source identical raw materials, replicate identical knits, make identical labels etc. If you don't want to pay those prices find a friendly local knitter!

Plumbline

One Too Many
The Bushcraftstore one is 100% wool and ( allegedly) a genuine issue item ... now it may not be 1940's issue ... but it's a fine hat and nice and warm, well made, fairly robust and doesn't appear to be any the worse for wear after a couple of winters and a few summers in the boot of my car :D

These are really quite simple items which are easilly sourced for not much cash ...... much as I have the utmost admiration for many of RMC's items .. £50 for a wooly hat is extracting the urine just a little ... I'd want it to have been owned by Patton for that money :D

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Honestly, just save your money and buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Navy-Blue-Gen...ords=Ultra+Force+Watch+Cap+-+Wool+/+Navy+Blue

I had ordered a fancy $80 ELC watch cap and sent it back because it pretty much felt exactly the same as these $8 ones!
The $8 actually fit me better as it is a little bit larger.

I bought two, one in navy, one in black, cost me $20 with postage, they are 100% wool, don't itch and do what a watch cap does, they keep my head warm.
No need to spend a ridiculous amount.

Last edited:

Longplay

Familiar Face

I would like wool because I have two acrylics that have pilled quite a bit. I recall that the navy issue cap I had in the 70s didn't pill.

Longplay

Familiar Face
I recently picked up a reasonably good one (wool, correct pattern, US made) from EBay for £16 incl. postage. I was keen on a Buzz offering but the price (£50 + pp) was steep.

That's extremely inexpensive. I was bidding for an original 40s cap this morning and. likely several I've seen of late, ended up going for $130.00 - or about 78 pounds.

Longplay

Familiar Face
...Repro prices from Buzz/ELC etc are so high because they have gone to great length to source identical raw materials, replicate identical knits, make identical labels etc. If you don't want to pay those prices find a friendly local knitter!

My wife's a knitter and says she'll make one for me. The downsides are 1) she may never get around to it and 2) she may get around to it and I may not like it but will have to wear it anyway!

Edward

Bartender
I would like wool because I have two acrylics that have pilled quite a bit. I recall that the navy issue cap I had in the 70s didn't pill.

Makes sense, though it sounds like that's still an option at a fraction of the price of the Japanese repros. TBH, I think they're quite propbably another example of the brand-expectation-marketing thing - you know, "this cost ten times the price of the one in the surplus store, so it's ten times better and more desirable!".

KyleK

One of the Regulars
My wife's a knitter and says she'll make one for me. The downsides are 1) she may never get around to it and 2) she may get around to it and I may not like it but will have to wear it anyway!

Haha!! After a year or two of bugging her about it, my wife finally knitted me a hat and I did not like it and I do wear it anyway! Cheers!

IXL

One Too Many
Blauer Manufacturing produces a traditional Navy-styled watch cap, made from an acrylic/wool blend. They have a Gore-Tex windproof liner and are the warmest cap of this style I've ever worn.

They are available from many law enforcement supply companies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana