Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Wear Imperial Resurrected

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have had a love hate relationship with my Good Wear Imperial. When ordering the jacket, I specified the back length, but not the front length. Different jackets have different deltas between the front and the back length (and I forgot to ask JC about this delta). When the jacket arrived, the back length was just as I had specified and desired. However, the front length was too long. I tried to ignore the undesirable front length. Predictably, that did not work and, over time, the excessive front length continued to gnaw at me.

Having already asked JC to change the placement of the front chest pocket, I did not want to request yet another tweak from him – particularly for something that was completely my fault. Moreover, given his production delays and the resulting backlog of jacket orders, I did not want to ask him to further delay his other customers in order to attend to my jacket.

Thus, earlier this year, I decided to sell my Imperial even though, in certain respects, it was my favorite jacket. In response to my listing, many here urged me to reconsider and explore other options. So I did.

Given the layout of the front of my Imperial, including the lower panel, seams, and zipper placement, shortening the front was no easy task. My local guy, who is a master leather tailor, respectfully declined. With few, if any, other options, I turned to the one guy that I knew had the requisite skill set to replicate JC’s craftsmanship and I was confident could do the job right: David Himel. Much to my surprise, Dave agreed to tackle the job.

I sent Dave detailed instructions, including the following diagram:

Imperial Mod Diagram.jpg

I received the jacket back from Dave earlier this week. His work is superlative. The jacket is the exact length I requested, but there is zero evidence that he worked on the jacket. No sign whatsoever of any alteration or modification. The seams and stitching are identical to JC's original work. The shortened zipper is imperceptible. If not for the fact that the front is now measurably shorter, I would swear that Himel never touched the jacket.

My Imperial has been resurrected and given a new life. It is still longer than some here prefer, but that is because I prefer longer jackets. It is now my preferred length, which is precisely what I wanted. Thus, if anyone comes across my old for sale listing, be forewarned that the jacket is sold – back to me.

Goodwear Imperial 120.jpg

jeo

One Too Many
Wow, perfect fit! Dave is a true artisan. Just got a new jacket from him and couldn’t be happier. I’m jealous, this is one of my favorite jacket designs of all time. Congrats on the “new” jacket man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobby Peru

One of the Regulars
Your gamble paid off. Dave H did an incredible job on that one. Also kind of him to take on that alteration.

willyto

One Too Many
I can't tell how it's been altered which it's a good thing. Maybe a before picture would be nice to see!

Fantastic that they were able to do so at Himel. I have his jacket and I'm not sure how I will do with the front lenght. Eventually if it bothers me much I know there's always a slim chance to ask them about shorten it.

Certainly can't tell it's been altered at all. I'd have moved the start point for the main zip up even a bit further, maybe 1/2" to give just a wee bit of spread below the zipper box, that's a pretty scary gamble to take I suppose as you can always go up but not back down. Glad it worked out SF, especially considering how difficult it is to get a new JonseyWear made and delivered.

Colin G

One Too Many
The length looks great to me. I like mine to fit the way yours is, just below the belt line.

A+

Last edited:

dannyk

One Too Many
Other than the HB-2 that Himel now has and maybe the Chevalier not a fan of the designs. Buuuuuttt I know quality when I see it. The man seems to be a wizard and so nice of him to do that for you on another makers jacket no less! That’s classy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm