Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Wear vs. Aero?

DEV.Woulf

New in Town
Hiya. I'm looking at jackets from all the good makers mentioned on here but have really fallen in love with Aero. They sell many jackets that have a cool edge to them which drives me crazy, such as the Bootlegger and Sunburst. Recently though I've read a few posts saying Good Wear was higher quality. They do indeed cost more money so I'm wondering if anyone who owns or has seen both can compare the quality?

I really like John's civilian jackets, such as the Mojave but all of those I find to be very refined or dressy. The Aeros have more of a street feel to them which I sort-of prefer right now. Also, I prefer the look from some of Aero's bombers compared to the vintage ones; John's accuracy, while very appreciative, is not for me at this time.

Lastly, I've never had an expensive jacket before, owning just size Large from Wilson's. I would like to have something that fits my body proper, custom sized. I love the way Insurrection / Thurston Bros. will send you a fitting jacket so you can get a first-hand opinion. It makes the process much less scary since you cannot send jackets back once they are made or customized. The lack of fit knowledge, combined with John's long waiting time, makes his a bit daunting as my first real jacket.

There's a thought of starting with Aero and buying a Good Wear as my second later on. If there is a quality difference, how much are we talking and is it noticeable by your average person? Thanks for any opinions or details. :D

AdeeC

Practically Family
I own A2's from both. Very little difference and both are top of the range. GW offers a wider variety of different contracts and may have more contract correct fine details. GW concentrates mainly on military jackets while Aero have a broader range. Aero have updated and refined their A2 contract patterns. I have an Aero civilian Grizzly too and if GW made one I would be interested. Tough decision, but you can't lose.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
It is my understanding the waiting time for an Aero is two months but for GW is two years. Both are top notch.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Johns wait list is about 18-24 months atm. So why not grab your Aero through Thurston and get yourself on the wait list for a GW at the same time? There will still be a 2 year gap between them, plenty of time to break in your Aero and be ready for something new.

Edward

Bartender
Both excellent, though if it's a civilian jacket in which you're interested, I'd definitely favour Aero. Much shorter waiting time, lower price, and equally as good. I don't think you can lose either way, really - it's more of a question of personal preference imo.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Johns wait list is about 18-24 months atm. So why not grab your Aero through Thurston and get yourself on the wait list for a GW at the same time? There will still be a 2 year gap between them, plenty of time to break in your Aero and be ready for something new.

This is the quintessential Fedora Lounge reply: Have both!

I think for the first time out, an Aero through Thirston Bros. is a great choice, especially if there is a model you really are drawn to.

RMF308

One of the Regulars
This is the quintessential Fedora Lounge reply: Have both!

+1 yes. I feel fortunate to own both GW and Aero, as well as having Thurston Bros and Goodwear local to me. Being a Seattle resident and a Thurston/Goodwear fan has its advantages (allows me to see and inspect the jackets first hand, be on a first name basis with John, etc...) as well as a negative (its effect on my wallet. :)

You can't go wrong with either brands- both are tier one quality and provide wonderful customer service.

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
I think for the first time out, an Aero through Thirston Bros. is a great choice, especially if there is a model you really are drawn to.

This, and if by using a fit jacket you are able to really nail the dimensions that work for you on a leather jacket, it will make all further purchases easier, because there are always additional purchases! (granted, some patterns obviously fit better than others, but having some baseline measurements is a big help)

I don't think the difference between GW and Aero is something that the non-enthusiast is going to notice. That's reserved for fanatics who will appreciate the work that JC puts into his jackets. An Aero jacket is a higher quality than almost anything else you'll see on the street.

Superfluous

I'm head over heels sold on Goodwear!

^ Ditto

^ This

I own both and, as others have stated, both are great products. Grab the Aero now and slot the GW for your next jacket in 18-24 mos.

I don't think the difference between GW and Aero is something that the non-enthusiast is going to notice. That's reserved for fanatics who will appreciate the work that JC puts into his jackets.

^ Agree

aswatland

As one of the fanatics referred to earlier GW make the most accurate A2s on the market. You can pick a decent example up on Ebay thereby avoiding the two year wait.

thor

One Too Many
As one of the fanatics referred to earlier GW make the most accurate A2s on the market. You can pick a decent example up on Ebay thereby avoiding the two year wait.
I agree with Andrew; check the 'Bay or sometimes even here on TFL Classifieds and you might get lucky and find yourself a GW.

pawineguy

One Too Many

I hope you know that wasn't meant as derogatory, I think it would be a bigger insult to note that we all weren't fanatics. The OP said he was specifically looking for civilian jackets and didn't care about accuracy.

John's jackets have subtleties and little touches that put them ahead of most other makers.
But, I agree that not everyone needs, is willing to pay for, or will wait for one of his artworks.
I think the OP is on the road to a TB Aero... and I think he'll be happy...and hope he'll post pictures. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto