Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodbye Chief Illiniwek

Phil

A-List Customer
http://www.nbc5.com/sports/11042367/detail.html

The 81 year old tradition of Chief Illinwek will end next week. I for one will be sad to see him leave. The closest bloodline to the origonal Illiniwek tribe resides in Oklahoma with the Peoria Tribe of Indians . The chief of this tribe has flip-flopped between supporting and fighting Chief Illiniwek. What I don't seem to understand is, why just Chief Illiniwek? What about the Washington Redskins, the Florida State Seminoles, or, to a different extent, Notre Dame's Fighting Irish? Don't they portray a stereotype on the people they represent? Although I don't think this is the ultimate end for Chief Illinwek, but it is definitley a sign of an overly P.C. culture.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I can understand some Native Americans' objections to a few team names or mascots. But many teams are named after fighters in human history: Vikings, Pirates, Bucaneers, Chargers (not named after an electical bolt, but after the cavalry that was stationed in San Diego), Cavaliers, Patriots.

I see nothing wrong with Kansas City Chiefs, Cleveland Indians, or Atlanta Braves, but do see something a bit racist in Washington Redskins, since the term "redskin" is derogatory. I think that they could change their names to Warriors and maintain their logo, team colors, etc. And Washington Warriors sounds cool.

As for Cleveland, I wish they would ditch that big cartoony grinning Iindian logo and get a more dignified one.

Don't know what the chief did or why those particular Native Americans are offended, but I guess they caved.

If I had an honorable fighting past, I would be honored to have a sports team named after me.

karol

Johnnysan

One Too Many
K.D. Lightner said:
Don't know what the chief did or why those particular Native Americans are offended, but I guess they caved.

If I had an honorable fighting past, I would be honored to have a sports team named after me.

Well said, Karol. Those close to the U of I system knew that they would eventually cave on this issue. :mad:

I certainly don't want to turn this into a political thread or offend anyone, but as a person of Native American ancestry myself, I am discouraged that this is where some members of that community chose to invest so much of their time, energy and effort. The Native American community faces huge problems in the here and now. Engaging in this long-standing and petty debate only serves to undermine the real needs of Native Americans everywhere.

Just my two cents...

Phil

A-List Customer
K.D. Lightner said:
karol

Origonally the tribe and it's former chief, and the then luitennant chief who is now chief, liked Chief Illiniwek. But possibly in an attempt to pull in more voted, when running, the current chief changed his views.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Johnnysan said:
Another casualty of political correctness gone awry. :(

Not a sports fan but I don't see what's awry about it. It seems to be a step in the right direction.

-Viola

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I'm still fuming over Pitkin High School in Brooklyn dropping their Hooknose Hymie mascot. What is this world coming to?!!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
MudInYerEye said:
I'm still fuming over Pitkin High School in Brooklyn dropping their Hooknose Hymie mascot. What is this world coming to?!!

Brooklyn hasnt been the same since Woody moved to Europe
TMRRabbi.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21