Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gooseneck Lamp Refinish

poetman

A-List Customer
I have a classic gooseneck desk lamp and the top
shade is quite rusted. Ive tried to clean the lamp with rust removal and other such things but all to no avail. Is there a way to refinish the top? The scratches and rust really dampen the look for me.

Thanks!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The first thing I would try, would be to soak it in vinegar over night. Cheap, and it does help.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Vinegar will not restore the paint. But Vinegar will remove/convert the rust without damaging the metal such as a wire wheel or sandblasting could. I would suggest investigating the web forums of those who restore cars, bicycles, tin toys etc etc. In the past I've completely stripped the paint and repainted those lamps.

Matt

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If vinegar doesn't work, try naval jelly and steel wool -- that will get you down to the bare metal. Then prime the surface, paint the inside with flat white enamel and the outside with whatever color you want, and you should be fine.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
...uhm...In English? I failed science in school...
Just having a little fun with you! Vinegar is a mild acid that will attack the rust, but wont damage the metal. On painted surfaces, it will take off the rust, but will leave unpainted sections.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
LizzieMaine is right too. Though I tend toward a different method called electrolysis. Using washing soda, a piece of scrap iron, bucket of water and a battery charger. Just look up restoring cast iron cookware to read all about it.

Regardless though you need to decide how far you want to take this refinishing project. If a lot of the original finish is left and/or has some other value such as a unique print then you could use vinegar to convert the rust, follow up with some polishing compound from MeGuires like their "Fine Cut Finish" (found in the auto parts store body care aisle) and coat with Mothers carnuba wax (the outside, the inside of the reflector probably gets too hot for that). On the other hand if the finish is too far gone and needs repainting then LizzieMaine stated the process. Lots of painting advice out there too. I can share that in another post if you like.

Matt

poetman

A-List Customer
The lamp is in fine structural condition, but the rust is unsightly. I didn't know I could strip and refinish the whole thing! What should I use to strip the base and shade part to the bare metal? Also, since the bulb will make the shade portion quite hot, should I use a special type of paint?

Thanks!

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Just having a little fun with you! Vinegar is a mild acid that will attack the rust, but wont damage the metal. On painted surfaces, it will take off the rust, but will leave unpainted sections.

Strong tea works really well too. Or a glass fibre scratch brush.
Well, both work well for sorting out corrosion on clock movements anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points