Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got Any References?

drkilmer

New in Town
Does anybody know of any good reference books on the history of men?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s clothing styles? I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d love to see something that chronicles the changing styles through the first half of the 20th century ?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ suits, ties, hats, etc. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve done some googling without good result. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s difficult to imagine there isn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t something out there somewhere.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I only know of a few... Here's the links to them on Amazon:
Men's Fashion: The Complete Sourcebook Has very stangle looking illustrations, but it's pretty inexpensive.

This book is AMAZING, but it's also very expensive and out of print.
History of Men's Fashion

I have never seen the following books in person, so I personally don't know how good they are. My concern with the 20th century books is that they may put quite a bit of effort into the more modern decades:

Men's Fashion in the Twentieth Century: An Illustrated History of Men's Fashion in the Twentieth Century

Fashion for Men: An Illustrated History

Men's Coats (The Twentieth Century-Histories of Fashion Series)

history of hair;: An illustrated review of hair fashions for men throughout the ages, plus a complete guide to hair care for men

Men's Hats (The Twentieth Century-Histories of Fashion Series)

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"This book is AMAZING, but it's also very expensive and out of print."
OH MY!! I HAVE this book!! I've had it forever, but haven't seen it years. It's in my basement that just flooded........oh boy. The search begins.......
Why is it so expensive???
flat-top

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I think because it's the best book that has been out with the detail of men's clothing, and it's out of print! I have a few books that have completely jumped in price like that too. It's crazy!

drkilmer

New in Town
Thanks so much for the leads! It is amazing how the price of books can skyrocket. I'm a sucker for buying really good books ... especially museum catalogs and specialty stuff like that ... and they all seem to jump WAY up in price in a few years.

Thanks again!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
those books are quite interesting...A History of Men's Fashion especially (although it looks as if most of us will have to wait to get lucky or for a new affordable edition). The models on the cover do prove that "fashion victim" isn't a new phenomenon at all :eek: :p

green papaya

One Too Many
I just bought this hard back book at Barnes & Noble bookstore , it has lots of detailed info on classic men's fashions and grooming
only $14.98

info about different types of suits, hats, gloves, coats, shoes, grooming, hairstyles , shirts & different types of collars, sweaters, etc. the styles in the book are classics, so they have been around for a long time.

a Gentleman's Guide to Grooming and Fashion

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/102-4026474-0269756?v=glance&s=books

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo