Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got my Schott P613S, don't know if I need a bigger size? pics inside

carl_c

Familiar Face
All my leather jackets are lightweighted, this is my first heavyweight leather jacket. I order the same size S as my lightweight schott A2 jacket. But it feels different: initially it was very hard to reach the pocket, but after a couple of minutes it became a little easier to do that. Without moving the whole jacket upwards, I can only raise my hand at the point that my wrist is at my eyes' height (see below, the first pic). I don't know if I need a bigger size, I think the size S fits my chest, see the last 2 pics, I can put a 2.25-inch thick sunglass case in and am able to zip up (I know it's weird).

Will the Horween CXL leather strech a little bit, and become softer after broken in? My feeling about this jacket: heavy, super stiff, hard to move.

I took some photos:
8.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

9.jpg
10.jpg

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
It will soften as you break it in, wear it a lot and it will take less time. I think it looks like it fits. But feel trumps photo, so if you don't think so, then maybe you're right.

Peacoat

Bartender
Looks like a good fit to me. And, yes, the hide will soften and stretch over time. Appears it has high armholes, so I don't know why your arm won't lift farther. The important part is how easy or difficult it is to turn the steering wheel in your car. That is also an excellent way to loosen it up and break it in.

If you get a larger size, it will swallow you in the chest. I say keep what you have and work on breaking it in. A lot of moving of your arms up and down, back and forth and reaching forward ought to do it.

carl_c

Familiar Face
It will soften as you break it in, wear it a lot and it will take less time. I think it looks like it fits. But feel trumps photo, so if you don't think so, then maybe you're right.
I guess the stiffness kinda affected my judgement of the fit

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
A larger size would be too long in both body and arms IMO, I would keep it, it looks good to me.
If you want to speed break in a bit you can spray water on the outside of the jacket with a spray bottle, rub it in and wear it until dry.
Do it a everyday for a week and it will feel like a second skin.

(welcome to the heavy side!)

carl_c

Familiar Face
Looks like a good fit to me. And, yes, the hide will soften and stretch over time. Appears it has high armholes, so I don't know why your arm won't lift farther. The important part is how easy or difficult it is to turn the steering wheel in your car. That is also an excellent way to loosen it up and break it in.

If you get a larger size, it will swallow you in the chest. I say keep what you have and work on breaking it in. A lot of moving of your arms up and down, back and forth and reaching forward ought to do it.
I tried my other leather jackets and found out that was as far as my arms can reach without moving the jacket upwards, but P613S give it more resistance.

carl_c

Familiar Face
A larger size would be too long in both body and arms IMO, I would keep it, it looks good to me.
If you want to speed break in a bit you can spray water on the outside of the jacket with a spray bottle, rub it in and wear it until dry.
Do it a everyday for a week and it will feel like a second skin.

(welcome to the heavy side!)

thanks for the tip, as long as it will eventually be softened, I think I will just do it patiently like raw jeans.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Fit looks good, definitely the right size, and once the leather breaks in, it'll be much more comfortable. It may never be comfortable to raise your arms above your head, though. The jacket wasn't designed for gymnastics and is too heavy and cut too snug for these kind of enterprises..

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The fit is right on. Do not go larger.

Will the Horween CXL leather strech a little bit, and become softer after broken in? My feeling about this jacket: heavy, super stiff, hard to move.

This is an entirely different issue, unrelated to the fit. Good luck breaking it in. The leather will probably become less rigid and more pliable over time, although how much time that will take is debatable (there are many accounts here of jackets taking years to soften up notwithstanding regular wear -- others report quicker break-in times). Regardless of break-in, the jacket will not get lighter over time. If it is too heavy, that ain't changing. This is precisely why I do not favor Horween CXL -- too stiff, too heavy, and just plain uncomfortable. There are many options for mid-weight leathers that are robust, sturdy and durable, yet pliable and comfortable from day one, including Aero's Vicenza and Jerky, Eastman's War Horse, and several leathers used by Schott.

Super is right it will never get lighter but it most certainly will get softer. To my eye it's a beautiful fit and a stunning leather. I want one!

Kuro

Practically Family
Picture of myself wearing the same jacket a size too small. See the crease I circled in the photo? That is the arm hole being pulled up into me, because the shoulders were too small. I wanted this size, but ultimately sized up because the larger size was more comfortable.

I do not see those creases in your photos.

The 613 as I understand is a slim fit. That means it has high arm holes and no underarm footballs as they are called to aid in movement. So your photos depict a normal range of movement with this jacket.

Congrats!

20180905_210417.jpg

Last edited:

Jroot

New in Town
All my leather jackets are lightweighted, this is my first heavyweight leather jacket. I order the same size S as my lightweight schott A2 jacket. But it feels different: initially it was very hard to reach the pocket, but after a couple of minutes it became a little easier to do that. Without moving the whole jacket upwards, I can only raise my hand at the point that my wrist is at my eyes' height (see below, the first pic). I don't know if I need a bigger size, I think the size S fits my chest, see the last 2 pics, I can put a 2.25-inch thick sunglass case in and am able to zip up (I know it's weird).

I took some photos:
View attachment 134436
View attachment 134426
View attachment 134427
View attachment 134428
View attachment 134429
View attachment 134430
View attachment 134431
View attachment 134432

View attachment 134438
View attachment 134439

What is your sizing/measurements? I am thinking of purchasing one as well