Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got ties?

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok, here is the first batch of photos of some of the neck wear in my collection. I have covered most of the 40's ties that I really like. Next will be the 30's ties. But, some of my favorite 30's ties have made it in with these. But, I'll point them out to all.

So, enjoy these and let me know what you think.

Root

These are some of my favorite 40's and early 50's ties.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok, some of the 30's with the 40's. The dark blue one with white blocks on it is a 1930's Wonder Bread tie from what I would say the 1939 New York World's Fair.

The one to the left of it is a hand woven tie from California and left to that is a tropical styled Palm Beach tie. The others to the right are 30's brocaded. The one on the far right is of Roman centurions. Fish ties are hard to find as well.

Sorry, the other fish tie is hand painted form the 40's. And the purple on on the far left is from the late 30's and is a woven wool striped tie. I love that one!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok, now I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll help you all know how to tell between a 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s tie from a 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s tie.

In the 1930?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s, ties were rather narrow. Not like the ties you find from the late 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and early 60?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. No, they look like 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s ties, just a little slimmer and shorter. Most of the ones I have are woven wool or rayon with brocaded flowers, fish or art deco designs. These are some of my favorites! Some have a shine to them that makes it look like they are changing color! Other 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s ties like I said were woven and consist of stripes, plaids and checks. More conservative patterns and never lined. Most ties from the depression era were not lined on the inside. In the early 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s ties still were pretty much the same. They really started to change after the war. You can tell a post war tie, (1945-1949) by it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s construction. A tie that was made after the war was wider, longer and more colorful! Also they were lined. Silk, rayon and nylon were mostly used fabrics for ties in that timeframe. Ties got as wide as 3?Ǭ? inches to 4 inches wide. They still were some what short in length by today?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s standards.

Most of the ties I have pictured above are post war ties and are very good examples.
Next, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll be posting some photos of pre war ties (1930-1940) and you will see a difference for sure!

Till next time, this is your neck tie host, Wild Root wishing you a pleasant day and a good night.

Root.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Here's a portion of my collection. I tried to count them a couple of years ago, but gave up after about 1200...I vowed never to attempt that again. My collection ranges from the 30s up to around 1960. It was sort of an act of protest that I started collecting. I was working at my first newspaper as photographer. I thought I was dressing just fine for the job, but the publisher didn't think so and issued me a dress code of nice slacks and a tie! To get back at him I marched down to the nearby Salvation Army thrift store and bought the most ugly wide tie to wear. But actually after a few more purchases I really started to like them (the dress code was soon forgotten, but I still kept wearing the ties.).

Wild Root

Gone Home
:eek: Uh, ok... you win! Man! You have some ties my friend! Any chance you would consider selling some to me? I see a few that I like. ;)

Very nice collection! Funny thing how some collections start eh?

Take care,

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points