Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grandfather in his fedora - circa 1930

Flieger

Practically Family
I just found this photo in an old album from my grandmother, showing my granddad Oskar (R) with his friend on the steps to what is now our summerhouse. The guys are almost identicly dressed but I don't know the occation. Their hats looks like they have a two-tone ribbon with rather high crowns.

Thought you'd like to see it. :)
OskarFjllstrm_edit.jpg

Flieger

Flieger

Practically Family
Thanks duggap. Yep, I'd also like to find out what brand of hat my granddad was wearing in that photo. No one's alive today to ask though. :( If I had to guess I'd go for a domestic company.

/F

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Very cool pic, Flieger. I'll have to find the one I have of my grandfather in a black three piece suit wearing a Borsalino.

The hats in this photo are marvelous. And the shirts: your grandfather has a pin collar and the other man has a tab collar. Quite fashionable.

Flieger

Practically Family
Craig Robertson said:
Very cool pic, Flieger. I'll have to find the one I have of my grandfather in a black three piece suit wearing a Borsalino.

The hats in this photo are marvelous. And the shirts: your grandfather has a pin collar and the other man has a tab collar. Quite fashionable.

Thanks Craig. Love to see your grandfather in his Borsalino! I've only recently started looking for photos like these and after spending time here at the Lounge I tend to look at them in a whole new light.

RBH said:
Great photo.Thank you for sharing it with us.
Those hats look fantastic, dont you wish for a color photo of them.

Thanks RBH. Yep, a color photo OR a time-machine! :)

/F

Flieger

Practically Family
Cool photo! Love that style. We seldom see those light suits here in dark and cold Scandinavia. In comparison, my granddad looks like his on his way to a funeral.

Cheers.

/F

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Flieger said:
I just found this photo in an old album from my grandmother, showing my granddad Oskar (R) with his friend on the steps to what is now our summerhouse. The guys are almost identicly dressed but I don't know the occation. Their hats looks like they have a two-tone ribbon with rather high crowns.

Thought you'd like to see it. :)
OskarFjllstrm_edit.jpg

Flieger

Interesting outside of 1950s Milans I have not seen two tone hatbands ever on eBay on fedoras from the 30s-40s.

Flieger

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene said:
Great photo to start this thread!

Here's my dad right around 1935. Now dig that collar!

Nice photo! He looks really dressed to the nines. Any idea about the occation?. Love the slight coloring on the cheekbones and lips. :eusa_clap

/F

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Flieger said:
Nice photo! He looks really dressed to the nines. Any idea about the occation?. Love the slight coloring on the cheekbones and lips. :eusa_clap

/F

My ol' man just loved threads. I guess I come by it honestly.

He came from very, VERY, humble beginnings and endured periods where there was no food to eat. Didn't grow very tall, and had health problems as a result.

So, when he got out on his own in Detroit city back in the 30s, he hustled and when he got some money he ate, invested in style and chased girls. For him, it was occasion enough to get a photo of himself in a nice get-up just because he could. Kinda like us taking shots of ourselves in our hats and suits. If there'd been The Fedora Lounge back then, I know he would have been a member!

I love the look in his eyes. You can tell he just came from the haberdashery, he's got food in his belly and some cash in his pocket. It's like he's broken the bonds of his childhood and sees the whole world as his oyster.

G

cookie

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
My ol' man just loved threads. I guess I come by it honestly.

He came from very, VERY, humble beginnings and endured periods where there was no food to eat. Didn't grow very tall, and had health problems as a result.

So, when he got out on his own in Detroit city back in the 30s, he hustled and when he got some money he ate, invested in style and chased girls. For him, it was occasion enough to get a photo of himself in a nice get -up just because he could. Kinda like us taking shots of ourselves in our hats and suits. If there'd been The Fedora Lounge back then, I know he would have been a member!

I love the look in his eyes. You can tell he just came from the haberdashery, he's got food in his belly and some cash in his pocket. It's like he's broken the bonds of his childhood and sees the whole world as his oyster.

Lovely anecdote. My father was born in 1912. So he 20 years old in 1930. He had a period of unemployment but he had a career at sea which came good. He was a great dancer and smooth with the ladies - very charming - but never jealous. My Mum had another male modol type suitor who was a Rat of Tobruk and my Dad used to give him his unused socks during WWII! The type of bloke that was comfortable in his skin and who was well liked by all and sundry. What's more I never heard him say a bad thing about another person - very measured in the pre-War way which guaranteed that he had a lot of friends willing to help when times were tough.

Flieger

Practically Family
Nice one Dixon! I love those snapshot photos from back then. Looking through my own family albums I found that most photos taken back before 1930 are posed studio shots where people, even though beautifully dressed, tend to look a bit too serious and stiff. But I guess having your picture taken back then WAS serious stuff not to be taken lightly. :)

Let me show you another one I found, showing my mum and dad (in a hat of course) before they married (they where only neigbours back then), my fathers kid sister, my mothers kid brother and a dog. Probably midsummer, mid-40's.

mum_dad_40s.jpg

/F

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points