Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great jacket; horrid fit.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
I've always fancied these boating/regatta blazers from the UK. It would be fun to wear one to lake/ocean events here in the US, and this one's connection to Patrick McGoohan's jacket in the classic series The Prisoner makes it even more attractive. But *yucky*OMG*yucky* look at the horrid fit! I know the trim fit is "trendy," but IMHO this is beyond the pale.

McGoohansblazer.jpg

Nevertheless, I am grateful that this did lead me to a search on ebay.co.uk, where I found several interesting jackets. In case anyone here actually wants to look like this, here is the link.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The fit of the jacket doesn't look too bad in my opinion. It could be a bit looser and maybe a bit longer but that's just my preference, and at least the armholes appear to be high. It's the low rise trousers that make it look ridiculous. If the jacket were worn with high-waisted trousers it would make a nice 60s inspired look.

Edward

Bartender
What uni is that from, Paddy? I love that colour combination. I recently narrowly missed a striped blazer on eBay that was almost a match for my Queen's graduate's scarf (coincidence rather than deliberate design, I believe - never been able to find a Queen's one). I did stumble across a website recently for the official suppliers of the uniform for the Grammar school I attended. The blazer has changed rather a lot since I went there; it's now much more traditional, actually, very attractive. Halfway tempted to pick one up for myself now, assuming they do the sizes big enough..... It is reminiscent of some of the Oxford Colleges' blazers:

prodzoomimg4145.jpg

At seventy quid new, if they did my size, I could see this being something I would actually wear. Not to the office or the likes, but punting with the NSC, or at various Chap related sporting events....

Salieri

One of the Regulars
The green and off-white stripe is Exeter University. Very nice.

Speaking of fit, the classic sports blazer like thoe one paddy is wearing were traditionally fitted across the shoulder but quite loose around the waist. To a certain extent this afforded greater mobility, but it was also down to the fact that, to preserve the striped pattern, the back section was cut as a single piece with no seam down the centre, meaning the jacket was less formed to the figure.

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
What uni is that from, Paddy? I love that colour combination. I recently narrowly missed a striped blazer on eBay that was almost a match for my Queen's graduate's scarf (coincidence rather than deliberate design, I believe - never been able to find a Queen's one). I did stumble across a website recently for the official suppliers of the uniform for the Grammar school I attended. The blazer has changed rather a lot since I went there; it's now much more traditional, actually, very attractive. Halfway tempted to pick one up for myself now, assuming they do the sizes big enough..... It is reminiscent of some of the Oxford Colleges' blazers:

At seventy quid new, if they did my size, I could see this being something I would actually wear. Not to the office or the likes, but punting with the NSC, or at various Chap related sporting events....

What material is it made of though? Aside from unpleasant memories I would never wear my Grammar School blazer because it's made from 100% polyester. Your one has a very attractive cut though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112