Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great moments in Indian history. The Nehru jacket

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
1915 Ghandi returns from South Africa and begins independance movement in India. 1947 Independance from Great Britain in achieved. Jawaharlal Nehru is elected Prime Minister.

1965, the Beatles wear Nehru jackets at their concert at Shea Stadium.

2008 Reetpleat sells entire collection of 30s clothing on ebay and develops a whole new look.

Picture243-1.jpg

Picture244-1.jpg

Picture245-1.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I looked at the first shot, then looked at the second and thought "MyGod, where did his legs go?!"
I have some shots of me in 1970 with hair down past my shoulders and full scale Jesus beard in a Nehru jacket. Gotta dig it up. MOST amusing.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Is the history of this jacket based on a military design?
It looks like it..

Might be the otyher way around. The history is based on a jacket developed iin India based on older traditional clothing, but I suspect that had an influence on European designs of the era.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
FYI, this is a nice hand tailored jacket from a NY tailor or manufacterer. I actually dig it alot, although not my style.

Quite a nice period piece. I am thining one of the guys from Mad men in about three years once he gets divorced from all the long hours, get a subscription to playboy, and hits the single bars.

Warbaby

One Too Many
In spite of my initial stunned reaction, I really like the jacket - as a representative example of the the style, it doesn't get much better than that.

I started to think about looking for one, but after a moment, I realized that in the past 20 years of relentlessly pursuing flea markets and thrift stores, I don't recall ever seeing a single Nehru jacket. Where did they all go? It's as if, when their popularity ended, they were all sucked into another dimension.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've posted mention of it somewhere else on the Lounge...and one of my cousins is threatening to release the pix if I don't come across with substantial dosh... ;) but I remember in like 1968 or so a Nehru jacket was part of my Easter wardrobe at 10 years of age. Mine was pale green. Big yellow Maltese cross necklace, along with a couple beaded necklaces. ("Peace, man, peace!") Cream turtleneck (if I remember correctly). My younger brother's was beige with cocoa turtleneck and he got the big "peace sign" necklace and beads for his outfit. And we were out in public in these outfits, and thought we were just the polar bear's pajamas and absolutely au courant. Part of me thought I was so outrageously cool...part of me knew I was ridiculously attired...

I remember the last time I looked at the photos thinking, "Good God...what WAS Mom thinking sending us out like that...why we didn't have the crap beaten out of us by the neighbor kids is beyond me..." My brother, with his glasses, looked like some sort of prepubescent Peter Sellers. We looked like we were headed to the love-in or something... Everyone thought we were so "cool" and that little outfit was in and then out of fashion in about 3 days flat. And Sears, of all places, carried them in the Junior Varsity Shop...

Years afterward, I thought, "If I ever have to go into court and prove Mom out of her gourd, these photos would do it...hands down. Clearly child abuse if not total insanity." And when I mentioned this to her in her later years, she would just laugh, and slap her knee, and cackle away... that is until I'd say "Shady Pines, Ma, Shady Pines..."

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Warbaby said:
In spite of my initial stunned reaction, I really like the jacket - as a representative example of the the style, it doesn't get much better than that.

I started to think about looking for one, but after a moment, I realized that in the past 20 years of relentlessly pursuing flea markets and thrift stores, I don't recall ever seeing a single Nehru jacket. Where did they all go? It's as if, when their popularity ended, they were all sucked into another dimension.

Well, if you are a size 40, there does happen to be a very nice one posted on ebay right now. And I do accept paypal.

Actually, I think they all achieved enlightenment and are now on another spiritual plane.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Alas, my monkey arms require a 40 long. <sniff> And I can't afford to keep buying things that I can't afford to have tailored. <sniff>

BTW - I did a search, and yours is the only authentic men's Nehru jacket on eBay. Anything on eBay that there's only one of has to be pretty rare. I think you should cancel the auction and keep that Nehru jacket because it may be the one survivor that has escaped and returned to seek your help in freeing and bringing back all the others. This very well may be your destiny...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112